Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

4 year old writing half alphabet

>

Poppy1093

Poppy1093

4 year old writing half alphabet
Old 09-03-2019, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all, I知 a new teacher at a preschool. I have a 4 year old in my class that doesn稚 seem to know how to write all of her letters. I told the boss and we have moved her back on the curriculum so we can go over writing the letters again but I知 just worried I知 not doing enough to help her. I知 afraid her parents will be upset because they are paying all this money for her to come to school just for her to do stuff over again. Any advice to would be great! Is it normal for 4 year olds to not know how to write the entire alphabet?

Lakeside

Old 09-03-2019, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
Is it normal for 4 year olds to not know how to write the entire alphabet?
Completely!

I hate how much we're pushing kids nowadays to do everything earlier and earlier. It used to be considered super advanced if a four-year-old could even write the letters in their own name.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 09-03-2019, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It depends on where you live!
I used to teach Pre-K in an affluent area with top public schools, and those kids could read and write before heading off the kindergarten.
Then I moved a couple hours south, and these kids (same age/Pre-K) barely know their letters. I have to teach them basics. If they can at least write their first name before Kindergarten, that's great.
Such a huge difference between the two locations
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Kteacb0929

Kteacb0929

Old 09-06-2019, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I知 a kindergarten teacher and most of our 5-6 year olds come in not knowing how to write their letter, or if they do it痴 not correct letter formation and spacing so we have to re-teach it anyways. At 4 they should be able to trace, imitate most prewriting strokes, and at copy their first name from a model. Writing all letters by 5 would be great, but not expected.