Special Education

Social Studies Help

>

Theresa

Theresa

Social Studies Help
Old 10-15-2005, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach a self-contained class with students ranging in age from 11-13 and are functioning on a kindergarten level. I have to do social studies 3X a week and am having trouble coming up with ideas. We have done community helpers, Johnny Appleseed, Columbus Day, and fire safety. I would prefer it to be something hands-on but would really appreciate any ideas. Thanks so much!!

pjm

pjm

how about
Old 10-18-2005, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi
how about making a paper mache earth. have you seen that activity where you blow up balloons, get the larger size your your kids, and paper mache them, put on the continents and the oceans, paint them and then you can hang them from the ceilings, my kids loved doing this. ask your art teacher about how to make the paper mache....this way you can get in global skills, map skills, the 7 continents, the oceans, a compass rose and directions...you'll cover a lot...

how about a sign unit, emergency signs that they'd see/read in the community? and maps of the school, the school neighborhood etc...you could make a classroom map and go from there...

also transportation, there are some pretty easy books out there you can buy on your state and do a state study...

mandy79

Old 10-28-2005, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You might want to try a post-card exchange. I did this with my class several years ago and they really enjoyed waiting for the post cards to come in. We exchanged just in the U.S. but we also got to take trips to the post office, practice writing skills and seeing how other kids in the U.S. live.
mandy79 is offline   Reply With Quote