Help

Special Education

Checklists, can u help?

>

glenda_matos

Checklists, can u help?
Old 10-28-2005, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a general education teacher who is getting her masters in special education. I have a project due next week in which I need to create an assessment plan for a student who has down syndrome. Initially as assessment is to see where the child is at BUT I don't know what to use or how to approach my project. Can U HELP ME??? (If you have any informal checklists you have created this would help.) Thank you...desperately seeking assistance.

glenda_matos is offline   Reply With Quote

pjm

pjm

here are some ideas for informal assessments
Old 10-28-2005, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know if your professors would go for this but you can learn a lot about a child by doing these things....

make or get flash cards with upper and lower case alphabet and see if the child can identify both types of letters and then if they can say the sound to the letters. Get copies of the dolch word lists and see how many basic sight words they know.

If you go to this site
http://www.teachertools.org/index.html
and look on the left hand side of the page under forms and letters...click and go there, scrool down and there is an assessment for money skills and for telling time skills that I use with my kids that's pretty informative as well as a bunch of other stuff that may come in handy for this class but not for assessments.

I also have kids count for me by 1'2, 2's, 5's and 10's as well as backwards from 20 and 10....say the days of the week and the months of the year as well as their phone number, address and birthday....

I ask them to write the ABC's and I time how long it takes them to do it...that's always interesting....

I'll give them a writing prompt either verbal or a picture...verbal as in write about your favorite teacher or the best day you ever had. Then I look at the types of sentences they write, or if they can even write a sentence, does it have proper punctuation and capitalization? How many words per sentences? how's the spelling? does it say my teacher is nice or does it say I have the best teacher in the world because she always let's me chew gum in class??? see the difference?

that will give you a lot of general information but not any grade levels per say....but I find it gives me a lot of useful information on what kids know and don't know.

i hope that helps

glenda_matos

Informal Assessments
Old 10-31-2005, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much for replying to my question...you have given me some ideas to start my informal assessments. I know that this will help me. AGAIN, THANKS!!!
glenda_matos is offline   Reply With Quote