Help

Special Education

Anyone teach inclusion?

>

JRob

Anyone teach inclusion?
Old 11-01-2005, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I am a regular educator in a fourth grade inclusion classroom in New Jersey. I am looking for other inclusion teachers (regular ed or special ed) in the state to talk with for ideas. Is there anyone out there???????

JRob is offline   Reply With Quote

istoleahalo

Old 11-02-2005, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in Florida but I am an ESE teacher in an inclusion setting. THis is my first year at this school but I'd love to get and share ideas
istoleahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
MAtech

MAtech

Old 11-02-2005, 02:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi. I'm a 4th regular ed teacher. I already have a question for you! How are you handling the report cards in your class? Would love to get some ideas.

maj

Yep
Old 11-02-2005, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi- I teach inclusion in NJ, too. I'm totally dedicated to the inclusionary model, though not for every child. Feel free to ask questions or contact me via the private messages part of this website.
maj is offline   Reply With Quote

JRob

Report Cards
Old 11-02-2005, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

First let me begin by explaining our report cards. We use the "SMARTS" system. We have electronic report cards that have a checklist of skills covered under each subject. For these skills, we rate the child with a 1,2, or 3. 3=completes work at grade level, 2=is working towards grade level, and 1=is not meeting grade level. The children with IEP's, generally they recieve a 1 or a 2 for the subject skills, since they need teacher assistance over and above the "Regular" ed students in the room, even though they may get As and Bs on their report card. Now there are exceptions to the rule, this year I have a "spec. ed" student whose grades actually reflect what he is able to do on his own, so he will be receiving 2s and 3s.

We also put a note in the comment section that the child receives help on tests and school work if it is necessary.

I am not sure if this helps you or not...let me know. How do they do it where you are from?

JRob

PRivate messages?
Old 11-02-2005, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am new to the board and am not sure where this particular board is...can you direct me? I would love to know where you teach and how your district handles inclusion. Our district is just beginning to get its feet wet.

MAtech

Old 11-03-2005, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hi. We are swtiching to the new reports cards but as of right now we are still give letter grades. I guess I really wanted to know how do you do the comments....do you do the special ed and the regular ed does those students? I'm not sure if that is common practice since this is my first year in this setting. As of this quater we are doing the comments together. I guess since this is my first time I am still trying to get used to working so closely with another teacher in the class.
MAtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Bonnie

Bonnie

Inclusion
Old 11-08-2005, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi! I am new to inclusion also. I just recently began picking up my sped license and got a job teaching 8th grade inclusion on an emergency permit in Indiana. (It's in big time demand here.) Anyways I don't know how much help I can be, since I am in progress with my license, but I know a little from teaching here for a few months. Feel free to ask whatever and I can try to help.

maj

Fyi
Old 11-09-2005, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi JRob,
I'm not sure if you're aware (you may just be as busy as I am), but I sent a reply to your message to your private message page.
Just FYI, in case in you didn't know.....
maj is offline   Reply With Quote