ARCHIVE

behavior system - warnings???

>

Betsy

Betsy

behavior system - warnings???
Old 08-19-2005, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I use a behavior pocked chart in which students turn cards for breaking the rules. The first card they turn is a warning card. There isn't a consequence for a warning card. The next card they turn is the ten minutes off recess card. I'm the only one in my grade level with a warning card. Do you have them turn a warning card (or whatever you use) as a visual reminder for both you and the student? This is my sixth year to use this system and it has always worked for me, but seems strange to me that no one else in my grade is doing it. And I think they think I'm strange for having a warning card instead of giving a verbal warning. What do you think???

luv2teach77

warning card
Old 08-31-2005, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Betsy...

I don't find it strange that you use a warning card. Whenever I've used a system like that I've always had the first card be a warning as well. I think it's fair and sensible to give children a warning before something with consequences. Of course, I don't give several verbal warnings beforehand because I think that would totally defeat the purpose of using a warning card. Maybe the other teachers in your building give lots of verbal warnings prior to having their students change their card...I don't know, but I definitely don't think you should feel bad for doing things differently. Do what works best for you and your students.

Deb
luv2teach77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

Warning Card
Old 09-02-2005, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I found it necessary to use a warning card, because I would sometimes give a warning verbally, then forget about it later on. I think that it's a good idea for the child to receive a visual change EACH time he/she breaks a rule, regardless of whether or not there's a consequence yet. I think that young children, especially, need a visual, and they, too, may forget about a verbal warning later on in the day. I always start with a visual for a warning.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Melissa/1st/TN

warnings
Old 09-09-2005, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I actually do a verbal warning and a warning card. I may be too easy, but I will say something a few times to a child (getting them back on task, etc), but will then say, "Johnny, that's your warning." If they continue, I'll tell them to turn their star (their "card" warning). Most of the time, the warning card is all anyone gets.
Melissa/1st/TN is offline   Reply With Quote

SC

warnings
Old 10-02-2005, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't have the card system; our school has a schoolwide discipline policy where students lose conduct points for misbehavior. I will often tell a student, "This is your warning; next time you lose a point." It's easier to see the card, though, and I think it's a good idea. Sometimes I forget that I've given a warning.

SC is offline   Reply With Quote