Help

Substitute Teachers

Professional Development Workshop for Substitutes

>

Kataqueens

Professional Development Workshop for Substitutes
Old 01-08-2010, 02:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My teacher's union,the one whose dues subs pay without reaping any of the benefits, held a PD workshop for substitutes yesterday evening. If it wasn't for an old friend who noticed the ad in the union's monthly newsletter, I wouldn't have known about it, but I just wanted to mention that things are starting to look up for subs here in NYC.

Since it was the first of its kind, it was a bit disorganized, I didn't really learn anything that I hadn't tried or didn't know (the 4 kinds of behaviors to look out for...etc) but we were promised additional workshops in the future. While a few subs took the workshop as a forum to air their grievances about how they're treated by school admin and staff, most of the subs I met were friendly and seemed genuinely interested in improving their relationship and engagement with the students.

The host of the workshop also informed us that we would be able to attend ANY workshop the UFT hosts in the future, because "it's your building, too." This is definitely a first, and relations between the union and subs has improved greatly!

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetolearn

wow, thats great news
Old 01-08-2010, 05:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wish I knew about this workshop, I would have liked to go! I will def start looking over the newsletter more carefully in the future.
lovetolearn is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 01-08-2010, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

K--a new year a new approach!!! WOW!!!! I soo want a union here where I work but it's the tide is so against us ...we're a small pool of subs and most of us don't want to rock the boat because it's not a place where things will open up for us.

a lot of the subs here are moms, stay at home parents, retired teachers, unemployed looking for a paycheck.

Basically, nobody wants anymore deducted from their paycheck when it', as is, doesn't go far enough to even cover the basic expenses...
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

ciounoi

Old 01-08-2010, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wish my district did that! I think it would help subs immensely - the main reason why I'm relatively competent at what I do is because I read a lot about subbing and classroom management before I started. Not all subs know where to go to get information to be a good sub, professional dev could remedy that!
ciounoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Kataqueens

Old 01-08-2010, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

LovetoLearn, they're going to email the attendees with information about upcoming workshops; I'll definitely let you know!

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote
subczy

subczy

wow i am jealous...
Old 01-15-2010, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We have no union for subs here. We are invited to attend a meeting the first of each school year to review aesop. I personally think they want to see us in person and make sure we really do have a pulse. Otherwise we are wallpaper to the dist. My theory is that if they educated us they'd expect us to do better and when we did they'd have to pay us more.