Do you implement your own rules in a long term sub position? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Do you implement your own rules in a long term sub position?

>

jlgelitz

jlgelitz

Do you implement your own rules in a long term sub position?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a new teacher (graduated this May) and, unfortunately, I may have to sub for the upcoming school year if I can't get a full time teaching job. I was given the opportunity by a school district to take over for two teachers who are going on maternity leave in September/October and January/February. My question is: in situations like this where you are the teacher for a long period of time, do you stick with the teacher's behavior management plan, attention getters, etc. or do you implement your own? I'm just wondering because I feel more confident with my plans and I feel I would be more consistent but I don't know how the teacher would feel about it when she comes back from maternity leave. If it makes a difference, the grades I would be subbing for would be 2nd and 3rd. Thanks!

3leggedtable

Old 07-04-2013, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think for September/October you could implement your own behavior plans. But for January/February you should stick with the teacher's behavior management plan. By December the students are already use to her ways/procedures. JMTC.

Good luck.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

nicpen

It really depends on the time of the year --
Old 07-04-2013, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

and the amount of communication you have with the classroom teacher and other teachers with whom you may be partnering. In some schools, there are uniform rules and discipline plans for classrooms or grade levels. If I start at the beginning of the year, I try to stick to the teacher's plans and consequences as closely as possible, but of course, I have my own methods of management/rewards, etc. You have some more freedom to kind of do what you want at the beginning of the year, but it makes the transition easier when the teacher returns if things are fairly consistent - not only for the teacher but also for the students.

Later in the year, I really try to stick with the plans/procedures in place more closely because the students are very used to the routines and it seems to go better if things aren't changed too much from what they're accustomed to doing. I find it's always helpful to spend time observing the teacher and the students prior to jumping in as a long-term sub.

Bottom line - every teacher is different, and we all have tricks/techniques that work for us. You can stick to the rules, consequences, etc., but you still will have freedom to do things the way that work best for you.

I wish you all the best - even if you don't get a full-time position, it's encouraging to know that you have the opportunity to long-term in a district. It will give you a chance to build relationships with other staff members, administrators, and parents, and make a name for yourself in the process. It really can work to your advantage in the future!
nicpen is offline   Reply With Quote

theapple

I don't
Old 07-04-2013, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We use a school-wide PBIS plan, although rules can be tweaked a little for each teacher. The consequences are consistent throughout the school though.

I like and fully support our system. However, if your school is not on a school-wide plan, I would suggest that you have one similar to the teacher that you are replacing. That way you can have control but keep the consistency of what the students are used to and will have to remember. I had to do it on one long-term and it worked out wonderfully. Actually, the teacher liked what I did and she kept it for the remainder of that year and all of the past school year.
theapple is offline   Reply With Quote