Is taking an aide job demeaning if you just don't want to sub? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Is taking an aide job demeaning if you just don't want to sub?

>

knitting987!

Is taking an aide job demeaning if you just don't want to sub?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I subbed 15 years and don't really love it. Would you take an aide job for 3.5 hours a day at a close school if you could afford it? I get so many mixed messages regarding that on here.

I would prefer a part time teaching job, but they hardly exist and they get 50 plus people applying to those positions. I went to an interview last week for teaching and I just didn't have to tech. skills they were looking for. It was a horrible experience.

I applied to 2 jobs I really want, but my luck is never that great. So maybe it is just time to do aide work. Even those are amazingly hard to get, incredible.

knitting987! is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

Nothing wrong with the idea.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Working as a sub for 15 years...Almost same as I...I worked as a sub for almost 16 years.

Good luck with job search...I am trying to get out of sub work also.
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

claudiann

I've thought
Old 07-13-2013, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That maybe ill retire a little early and work as an aide. I like getting dressed and being around people. I don't do well staying home. I tend to get lazy. I wouldn't find it demeaning at all.
claudiann is offline   Reply With Quote

momandsub

I am trying....
Old 07-13-2013, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

to move that direction also. I am looking at resource aid positions at some of the Title One schools as they pay a little better in this area. In my district there are always sub aide positions open at the beginning of the school year, I am going to try and snag one and try to parlay it into a regular hire job. I have been subbing for 6 years, but I am tired of the running around. We will see what happens. My husband travels a lot for his job, and I have 2 kids still at home, so for that reason I still like the flexibility of subbing.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'll probably turn in my stuff, but would so much rather have the other 2 jobs posted, all in the same district.

Dakotabooks

It might be an in
Old 07-13-2013, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've been subbing for five years trying to get a full time teaching position and I would take an aide job (if it were at least six hours). It might be a way into the school and it's steady.

I'm starting to dislike subbing so much that I don't take that many jobs so I'd rather be in the same place everyday.

Good luck with your decision.
Dakotabooks is offline   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 07-14-2013, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I figured it out and it would only be about $560 per month. That isn't much. It is from 10:30 to 2:00. I just don't know.
GTG

GTG

Subbing to aide
Old 07-14-2013, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I just recieved a letter from our district that they are eliminating Emergency Substitute Teachers and offering them to stay on as Para-Educators
I stiil have two years left on my Teaching Certificate
This happened in July after we recieved our reasonable assurance letters
This after subbing short and long term assignments for the last 18 years.
I worked almost everyday, and worked at one high school 161 out of 180 days
I have completed about 15 hours in a certification program.
I also Coached High School and Junior High Football for 18 years.
I am going to talk to our state Troops to Teacher Coordinator, and the ESD to see if I can apply for a different Certificate Type.
I also have a Masters in Management, and Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering.
The district said it was because of No Child Left Behind
I live in Washington State

momandsub

Old 07-14-2013, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I know what you mean. For me, even just subbing 3 days a week would earn me more per month I hope you are able to find a position to fill your needs. Sometimes the uncertainty of subbing is what really wears on me.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 07-15-2013, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Bottom line is you have to do what is right for you regardless of what others might say.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

pkennedy1990

Old 07-15-2013, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Well, $500-$700 a month is what you pull down as a Sub in a good month if you're not the person they want even though you're fully Math licensed in another state.

So it seems to me as an Aide that would be exactly the same.

But I've been told (this is back in the 1990's when I was in my Undergrad years.....when the economy didn't suck quite so much) that no teacher would want another teacher as their Aide so if you have to pass an interview for an Aide position and you're older or more credentialed than the teacher, forget about it.
pkennedy1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Vlad

Old 07-16-2013, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I would do what works best for you. If you don't like subbing, there's nothing wrong with becoming an EA. I am sorry to hear you didn't get the teaching job you were applying for.

I have been subbing for 3 years and really enjoy it and don't see myself doing anything else. I had a horrible experience teaching full-time and was in a class where I was eaten alive and almost had an emotional breakdown. When I first considered subbing, I thought it would be demeaning for a teacher to "go down"... and ever since I began subbing I loved it.

If subbing isn't working for you and EAing would, why not go for it? Don't be stuck doing something you hate.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

cpenner

Being pushed there too...
Old 07-21-2013, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I've been substitute teaching for 5 years and people ask why I don't apply for EA type jobs in the meantime. I agree with the thoughts that it would get your foot in the door at the school you EA at but what if you become labelled as an EA and get passed over for teaching jobs? Also, where I'm from jobs get posted during the school year. If I accepted an EA position I wouldn't be able to apply for a teaching position (which is what I would really want).

Luckily, where I'm from substitutes get paid fairly decent (I can't believe some of you only make $700/month!) and I would be happy with being a substitute teacher if I was guaranteed work 4 days a week. Too many education graduates are being pushed through and everyone just gets placed on sub lists since there are no teaching jobs *sigh*

Keep your head up! I write about the funny/cute moments that happen while I teach to get me through the bad days.
cpenner is offline   Reply With Quote

okteach

Old 07-21-2013, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

IMO, it's not demeaning at all. I taught a while then took time off the stay home with my kids. Then, I went back and worked as a teacher's aide for a few years and really enjoyed it. I'm back to teaching now. I had people who just could not understand why I would want to be aide. I feel like it takes everyone and that job is important too.
okteach is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

my opinion:
Old 07-25-2013, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

no job is demeaning unless you think it is.
If you consider aides to be vital to children's progress and to the climate of a school, you would not be "less than" by performing those tasks.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Gtg
Old 07-25-2013, 11:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'm wondering if the change in job category is more about health care eligibility than NCLB. NCLB/ESEA legislation is tied up in congress, the Senate and House (Dems and GOP) have very different bills fighting it out. We may not have a new law for a long time to come. It's been due for renewal for years.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

pkennedy1990

Another consideration...
Old 07-27-2013, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

.....is that when you go to another state looking for teaching jobs in your licensure "field" you may find that all the license-reciprocity transfer FEES are so stratospherically high that you HAVE to take something lesser that doesn't require an expensive license, just so you can pay the damn fees yourself.....like, say, if all the school district in that new state which claim they're "desperate" for Math teachers suddenly decide that even though your license from your state "does" transfer over, YOU have to pay for that yourself (instead of what New York told you!) Now I remember the hard way why I went from college straight to Call Center Jobs -- teaching licensure FEES up the ying-yang. It took me a whole year and a half (back in the 90's) to scrape together all those fees on top of supporting myself. And now I'm also looking at Pharmacy Tech licensure FEES and test for THAT, fees......and still trying to survive without living in my car......
pkennedy1990 is offline   Reply With Quote