Help

Substitute Teachers

I finally landed a good job!

>

StellatheSub

I finally landed a good job!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been trying for 4 years since graduating to get a teaching job without any success. I'm in Michigan. I decided around a year ago, that I was no longer interested in teaching, as I don't think I could handle all the hats that teachers have to wear and all the testing, politics, etc. I was thinking I wanted some type of government job. I also thought forest ranger/dnr type of work would be nice. Just something that paid well with good hours. I almost got hired as a juvenile corrections officer, but as soon as they heard I had acquired bad debt they eliminated me. Yes, that was an interview question. Yeah, I have bad debt, thanks to making mininum wage post college degree! I decided to check in to postal worker and a few months ago, I decided to start applying to various city stations. Well I got a call today that I'm in. I will be a city carrier in a very nice town. It's an affluent country town. I live about a half hour away. The first hour and a half of my day will be on foot, after I bundle all my mail, and then the last 6 hours will be truck delivery. The pay is almost the same as a teacher makes! I just got home, and had yet another collection bill in my mail box. Now I will be able to pay all those bills. I'm super excited to clean up my credit. I will miss subbing, but not the pay. I love the kids, but some days they were easier to love than others. I'm sure you can all relate! Thanks for reading! ~ Stella

StellatheSub is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 07-19-2013, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congratulations!

I know a teacher who used to work as a mail carrier and loved it. I've often thought myself that it sounds like a fun job. Enjoy it! When do you start?
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Old 07-19-2013, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

He wouldn't say when I start. He said that I have to do some stuff that will be sent through email. I think it's probably criminal background check and a physical. Hopefully after I take care of all that, which I plan to get done ASAP. I'm ready to go!

KCJ

Old 07-19-2013, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Congratulations on your new job! I admire your spirit and I am glad you didn't give up.
KCJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Fantastic!!
Old 07-19-2013, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Such wonderful news Stella! Good for you for going after your dreams!

Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Yea!
Old 07-19-2013, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Congratulations!! I have often thought that I'd enjoy mail delivery. Around here those jobs are even *harder* to get than teaching jobs, and that's saying something!

Enjoy your new career!
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

Good news.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am glad to hear that you found a way out of sub teaching...

After 4 years...Good...I look forward to a day when I could post a news that I found a way out of sub teaching...

Good luck with your new job...I had no idea that USPS is hiring...My impression was that USPS was trying to reduce number of employees...

I don't think a 4 year degree is required for the mail carrier job...Oh, well...I now have low paying part-time jobs which don't require college education...I am not happy that I have been unable to land some "bigger" job than sub teaching with my college education...

In any case, Stella, your new job will help you pay bills...Whether it requires college education or not...
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote
Oliveface

Oliveface

Old 07-20-2013, 12:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It's so funny you talk about debt. I once landed a job as teacher in a private school that was inside a corporate building. I don't want to name names or give my location away. Shortly after that many people from that corp got fired for insider trading and other things involving money. That was going on for a long time. Before I was to start, a man called my up who I later found out was the CEO to tell me "You CAN NOT work in this building, because we find you to be a liability to the X corporation due to your high debt". Corporate people stealing is ok, but poor people having debt means we're unhirable. Where's our bail out?

Dakotabooks

Old 07-20-2013, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Congratulations! It sounds like a peaceful job!
Dakotabooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Singfree

Old 07-20-2013, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Congratulations Stella! I know how much you've been through looking for work and worrying about finances; I'm really happy that it finally paid off with what sounds like a perfect job!

Singfree is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Old 07-20-2013, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks so much everyone!!!! ~ Stella

Amberlee

Stella
Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Seen you around for a few years now so I'm really happy to hear about this positive event amidst all the subbing craziness. I hope you really enjoy your new job
Amberlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynette12

Good Job!! It is what I am doing as well!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Hey Stella, that is what I am doing now since May. If you have any questions let me know! I like it but I work 6 days a week. I am usually on a different route every day which is hard but pretty soon I will know all the routes and it will be easier. I am a CCA City Carrier Associate. It takes years to be full time. But I am working full time anyway, just no health insurance for a year. Hope you enjoy it! Sometimes I get a day off during the week, so I will still have an option to sub in the school year whenever I get a day off. So far since May I have had two days off. Well, of course Sunday is always off.
Lynette12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynette12

longtimesub
Old 07-23-2013, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

The USPS has started hiring many CCA City Carrier Associates since Jan. I am one of them. It is tough work, not for everyone. It is a part time job with no benefits except you earn annual leave which you can use. No sick pay, no health insurance for a year. They are doing this to help the USPS financially, the regulars have been working overtime and they get much more an hour. The starting pay for CCA in Minnesota is $15 an hour so we really work full time with no benefits. And the regulars are not getting overtime anymore. This is how they are trying to save money. It is hard to be on a different route every day but once I learn all the routes it will be easier. So far I have carried 10 routes since May.

Lynette12

Rural or city carrier?
Old 07-23-2013, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

SInce you are in a smaller town are you hired as a Rural Carrier or City Carrier?

StellatheSub

Cca
Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I will start as a non career city carrier associate. He explained you have to start as non-career before you make the career position. He also said it would be full time. I would also be helping out other post offices as needed. I'm just thrilled to have the opporunity. According to what was said in the interview, I will be delivering for the first hour and a half of the day through the city on foot. It's a city, but it's older and well maintained and since it's a countryish area, when you go downtown you do not have to pay for parking like in a larger city, like the one I live in.

StellatheSub

Lynette
Old 07-23-2013, 08:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I just read your post before you last post. Guess we are doing the same career then. I'm very excited. I remember reading about you working at the post office, but I couldn't remember who was doing that. I'm down for tough work if it gets me out of this financial pickle I'm in. I just got another rejection email yesterday for an education job. All the signs have been there that it's time to move on. I was a great sub, but not desired as a regular teacher, just everyone's favorite sub, and I got tired of that.

StellatheSub

Btw
Old 07-23-2013, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

They are taking their time emailing me the new hire packet. How long did it take to get yours? I'm getting antsy.

longtimesub

Thanks for info.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Lynette12...Thanks for info.

I checked the USPS website...It is also hiring part-time carriers where I live...Southern Calif...

No health insurance for one year? That means after one year a CCA would get health insurance?

If you work as a CCA, how often would you end up working 40 hours a week? My impression is that number of hours are not guaranteed...

Lynette12

Stella
Old 07-23-2013, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

It takes awhile sometimes to get all the information and get in. But starting now is a good time before the weather gets bad. I started as a clerk and then switched jobs in May to a CCA, so it only took 5 days since I was already in the Post Office. I was a clerk from Jan. to May. I just prefer to deliver. I work 35-48 hours a week. Anything after 6 pm is a little extra pay and we do get paid extra for overtime too. Sometimes I work 6 days a week and sometimes 5 days. The week of July 4th I only worked 4 days because the regulars are not allowed to take off the day before a holiday. If you are determined you will probably like the job and do well. I am slow at the new routes but once I know a route I improve my time and accuracy. It is a tiring job, but rewarding!

They can (and do) send you to other post offices as needed. I have not been sent though because I don't have a car and they have plenty of other CCA's to send. We have 12 CCA's in our post office now. Four have been hired after me. I work in a very big Post Office there are 40 routes!! Some are walking routes, where you carry the mail and some are businesses and mounted where you deliver from the LLV (postal vehicle). I prefer the walking routes right now, I have lost 15 pounds since May!! In the winter I will probably prefer the mounted routes!!!

Hope you get your training in soon!! Lynette

Lynette12

longtimesub
Old 07-23-2013, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

As a CCA you are hired for 360 days then you get 5 days off and they can decide to rehire you, if they do then your second year you will get health insurance. I work over 40 hours a week most weeks, but I am in a big post office. The week of July 4th, I only worked about 25 hours. You don't get 8 hours a day either. You can't start until 10 am until they train you to sort the mail. Then you deliver till you are done. some days I only work 5 hours and some 9 hours, the rest somewhere in between, usually, I average around 6-7 hours a day. I think once my 90 days of probation are over I will probably even get more hours as they will have me come in and get the route I am carrying ready myself. Right now, other people get the route ready and you just come in a take it out and deliver it!

longtimesub

I think I will try.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Why not? Even if I have a four-year degree...I am sure StellatheSub and Lynette12 have four-year degrees like I do...

Being asked about the college degree during the interview...That did happen to me in the past...

Lynette12

Old 07-26-2013, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Yup, I have a four year degree. You might like it!! You have to do what you have to, to make ends meet. I can still sub, because about twice a month I get a day off, so I will sub those days. Apply and see what happens!!

StellatheSub

Old 07-26-2013, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Yeah I have my bachelor's degree, but just couldn't find a job in education and then after a while no longer wanted to anyway. Reading the vent board scared the you know what out of me to be honest. He did mention in the interview that he noticed on my resume that I had a bachelor's degree. I think it can only help with the hiring process, since it shows initiative and someone with a good work ethic. The main thing I was sure to show in the interview was a postive attitude, and it all worked out. I might continue to sub too, who knows? I really do enjoy it, especially Kindergarten. They're my fave. Miss my little cute ones that say the funniest and cutest things!

Lynette12

Stella
Old 07-29-2013, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Did you find out when your training is yet?

StellatheSub

Old 07-29-2013, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Lynette,
I signed my tax forms/new employee forms today. After that was done, I asked him when I start and he said to wait till someone contacts me. So, hopefully soon!

Lynette12

Old 07-30-2013, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Stella, Hopefully, here they only do training every two weeks. If it is a smaller area it might be longer. But you will probably still start in August, which is great to learn routes before bad weather!

Sub14

Old 07-30-2013, 08:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Stella, if you still Sub while working your new job won't that make you ineligible for unemployment from your postal job? I'm pretty sure subbing even one day out of the year means you won't qualify for unemployment at all for that particular year if you get laid off. I'm trying to find another job that's more stable than subbing, but thought that it would be nice to be able to sub sometimes too if I wanted to. But I do remember reading somewhere that if a person Subs even once a year they can forget about getting unemployment from any other job they may have. So if that's the case then I won't Sub at all if I get a new job. Going entire summers with no income and without unemployment, and low pay, are the main reasons I want to get another job. I will miss the kids though, but would not want to risk losing out on unemployment just to be able to sub every now and then.
Sub14 is offline   Reply With Quote

StellatheSub

Sub14
Old 07-30-2013, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I didn't think about that. I guess I just assumed there would be no lay off, but you do make a good point. I wouldn't want to ruin any chances of getting a steady income in the event that something like that might occur. I have some decisions to make. I'm really torn about leaving my mental health worker job too. I am scheduled every other Sunday in the am there. Still trying to decide if I want to leave or not. Decisions.

longtimesub

Not being defensive about college work.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Lynette12 and StellatheSub...I am getting the impression that, during the post office interview, you did not have to get defensive about the fact that you had a four-year degree...

I had a few interviews where interviewers asked why I am applying for this kind of job when I had a four-year degree...

Concern about unemployment...A good information...I think that, if I ever get the post office job, I will resign from the sub teaching. I am eager to leave that behind...Besides, I think the districts will just remove my name from the sub lists for not working enough days anyway.

Lynette12

longtime sub
Old 07-31-2013, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Nope they don't care if you have a degree or not. In fact many people my age and older are getting jobs. I am 51, some people are trying a different job career, some were laid off, some are mother's with kids out of the home so now they are working, etc., some just need jobs. There are all ages applying and being hired. There are different jobs you can apply for. City Carrier, Rural Carrier, Clerk (PSE), for the clerk (pse) jobs though be ready to start at 4 am on Saturdays to get the mail ready for the carriers. They also have truck driver jobs, mechanics, custodians, etc. All are considered part time for a year with no benefits except annual leave hours. But most work at least 30 hours a week. It is very nice to have a steady job and know where I will be each day. It is hard, but as teachers we are flexible and that is what this job requires. You can't call in sick the first 90 days, or you could be fired. But after 90 days you are off probation. I have three weeks left until 90 days, can't wait cause then I will get money for a uniform!!