Help

Substitute Teachers

Need "Center" activities ideas

>

broad

Need "Center" activities ideas
Old 07-23-2013, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm planning to sub again this coming year and want to create some "center" activities and lesson plans that I can take with me. FIRST GRADE and Kindergarten.

I subbed in one class last year and the teacher did not have organized center activities or groups which made it challenging. There are those teachers who are very well organized and have trained students so well, it's a dream to be there.

Any ideas of activites we could share.

I have collected Scrabble Tiles and have students make their sight words, then count up the points.

broad is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

centers
Old 07-24-2013, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If there are word wall words, sight words or spelling words you can do a variety of activities with them. These ideas are taken from Patricia Cunningham's work.

Play Guess the Word/Read My Mind: give clues about the word (not always these exact ones, you have to adjust to what the list contains)
#1 (always) it is on the word wall (or spelling list)
#2 It has n letters
#3 It has n vowels (you'll have to teach what a vowel is for most classes--also consonants) or It has the vowel __ or It has a long/short ____
#4 It starts with a consonant (letter) or It rhymes with ___
etc.
#5 It is the word ________ (always the last clue)
etc.

You have to remind the children to NOT erase if they guessed wrong the first few times--it isn't about getting it right it's about looking carefully at the word lists.

Another game is to have them write a word you dictate from the list: "If you can write like, you can write hike. You can write Mike, etc with others in the word family. You can do this with several word wall or spelling words.

It there is a good word wall, I dictate a sentence using only word wall words. It goes slowly as they search for each word to copy (kids don't copy from walls much these days), but that is part of the point.

You can have them see what other words can be made from the letter chips. Check out Cunningham's books on Making Words. You can use them for all elementary grade levels.

I like to bring Ed Emberly's Make a World drawing instruction book. I can almost always find something to have the children draw that relates to their theme, story, whatever. I do a guided drawing lesson and have them write a story about the picture.

I also carry Do Not Open This Book which is a very funny story about writing a book. I then have the students write a parallel story "Do not open this door" "this closet" "this notebook" whatever they want that isn't "this book."

These ideas will work for second semester Kinder on up through third. The word work can go higher.

For early kinder, I'd hope for an organized teacher and hunt around the room for blank paper and crayons. A quick Emberly drawing lesson and have them fill in the rest of the paper with things that go with the drawing. For a ship they add their own water, sun, land, whales, gulls, etc. Then they "write" about their story. You can hop around and write translations under the story or take dictation. I explain about "writing the sounds you hear" and "dictionary writing." The sounds they hear and write are wonderful, but adults need the help of dictionary writing. When they stretch the words slowly and write each sound they hear, they are learning all about how words work.

Hope this helps.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

broad

Thank you
Old 07-26-2013, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you Broomrider for the very good ideas - I do have the Making Words and love it.
I just ordered the Emberley book and have printed out your response.

I am retired recently and find that I miss the creative outlet of working, especially teaching. I was always thinking up new lesson plans and activities for my students. I can still do that and have fun as a sub.

I'm going to use all of your ideas. Thanks again.

broad

RV ing!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks also for the info on your RVing trip - Just read it on Retired board.
We just bought a 22 ft RV and are planning some trips. Glad you had a wonderful time!

broomrider

broad
Old 07-26-2013, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You are welcome. Hope you enjoy your new RV. We do an annual trip to Yosemite in February--RVs keep you warm!

Had I known you were a retired teacher I wouldn't have gone in to so many explanatory details about invented spelling. I too like to sub a few days a month for the contact with kids and to feel sorry for the current teachers and their huge burdens imposed by non-teachers.

I also will be subbing a bit extra to pay for the beautiful Native jewelry I bought on the trip. Being able to pay for my treats helps the economy and my conscience.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

ar719

thanks!
Old 07-27-2013, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm a retired teacher that subs a few times a month. I always take things with me. I liked your ideas about the drawing book and the "do not open" book. Thanks!
ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote