Help

Substitute Teachers

Can't get Summer School Work in NYC

>

nycsub9

Can't get Summer School Work in NYC
Old 07-25-2013, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I called SubCentral recently and was told that substitute teachers don't get work during summer school. They were so rude on the phone too. I was surprised because in May I applied on the website for summer school work as several people told me to. I have had so many interviews this spring/summer for summer camp jobs with non-profits but haven't found anything and the summer's half over. I'm not qualified for other jobs. I have looked in public assistance and unemployment. I'm not sure when subs will get called again. I have advertised my services as a tutor but have no clients, I have a bachelor's in journalism and graduated in 2007, but never found paying work in the field. Any suggestions for looking for NYC work?

nycsub9 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

perhaps...
Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm across the country and don't know about jobs in NYC, so hope this isn't an impossible suggestion. You might try retail for awhile, anyway. I expect that with back to school sales and all, stores are putting on extra staff at least temporarily. You might be able to sell yourself as knowledgeable about school needs to places that are pushing back to school items.
Have you applied with Sylvan or other tutoring companies. They might be better able to recruit students than an independent person.
Does the city have a supervised playground program? They may be needed replacement playground directors about now. I worked for a program in L.A. years ago. The school district actually had paid playground directors on its grounds that were open during the summer with a full recreation programs for kids and free meals distributed.
Not sure what is being done with all the budget cut backs, but it might be something to check.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

cpenner

Same boat, different country
Old 07-25-2013, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been in the "I can't get a summer job" boat before. Most of the time i just give up and go on EI (perhaps it's easier in Canada). This last school year however I took a bunch of time off to travel and therefore didn't earn much... meaning EI would not be loving that. So I was desperate for a summer job. I ended up finding a nanny job and I LOVE it. Where I'm from it would be nearly impossible for me to work in say a daycare over the summer because since I have an education degree I would be considered over qualified.

Since summer is half over now your options are limited (but you can always think ahead for next summer). I would probably just try to find something that will get you through to October (subbing doesn't really pick up for me until then anyways). Retail, restaurants, call centers... they would probably all be good options.
cpenner is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Temp Agencies
Old 07-27-2013, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Sign up at temporary agencies! I'm working a full-time summer job through a temp agency. It's at a factory, basically all I do is put parts together. It's $8.50 per hour, which is not a whole lot but I get 5 hours of overtime too added to the 40 hours per week.

The temp agency offered me an office temp position but I turned it down because I'd have to dress up and do more work for the exact same rate of pay, plus no chance of overtime.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote