Advertising myself when I have limited availability? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Advertising myself when I have limited availability?

>

neasg18

Advertising myself when I have limited availability?
Old 07-29-2013, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Whenever I look up advice for subs, I always see how important it is to advertise yourself to the teachers and leave business cards and whatnot. Im wondering what the best strategy would be for advertising myself if Im only available 2 days a week. I dont want to tell people to call me and then have them be disappointed when i tell them i cant actually sub for them that day.

I was thinking I could put my availability on my business card. However, that would change every few months when my school schedule changes.

How do you guys go about it?

neasg18 is offline   Reply With Quote

momandsub

Old 07-29-2013, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I find that the best way to advertise myself is to do a great job and exceed expectations. Word of mouth travels faster than any business card. If your district uses an automated calling system, just block out the days you are unavailable. Makes it easy for schools to know your availability.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

I wouldn't Bother
Old 07-29-2013, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Unless you work for a very small district, you should have no issues getting work for just 2 days a week. If I were you I would not bother with cards; I would just make sure all my info (phone #) was correct in the system and wait on calls. If/when teachers inquire about your availability, you could simply say something like, This month I am available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. or whatever.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-30-2013, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I wouldn't bother with the business cards. Subs have left cards and flyers in our staff mailboxes, and I know that most go directly into the recycling bin. Just make sure all your info is correct, and that you are a good sub! The reputation you build will get you jobs.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

cpenner

^ I agree
Old 07-30-2013, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Since you have a limited availability that is going to be changing on a monthly basis I wouldn't bother with sub cards. I used to leave them behind but haven't (or very rarely) used them the last couple of years. You could always leave your name, number, and subbing information in a note to the teacher (assuming you write a note at the end of the day).

cpenner is offline   Reply With Quote