Subbing for 2 weeks for Band teacher starting the first day of school!!! - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Subbing for 2 weeks for Band teacher starting the first day of school!!!

>

Asharmywife

Asharmywife

Subbing for 2 weeks for Band teacher starting the first day of school!!!
Old 07-31-2013, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So im not going to lie im a little nervous.... I sub at a middle school and got a call that the Band teacher who also teaches AVID will be gone for two weeks in the beginning of school. I will get lesson plans and everything but any advice on how to start off and help kids transition would be great. I know the first two weeks are crazy and im sure a little frustrating for kids if you have a sub the first two weeks. So any suggestions on ice breakers for the first day would be great to. I have subbed alot at this school but never the first two weeks or this long for one teacher. Thank you!

GTG

GTG

1ST two weeks of band
Old 07-31-2013, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did this about 8 years ago, it was for 6th, 7th, and 8th Grade Music Classes.
The band Director had a heart attack, and was recovering for the 1st two weeks.
I did it this year for the Choir Teacher, she was in the class for the 1st two weeks with me.
Her renewal certificate had not come in.
I observed her getting attention signals, and classroom management.
She eventually allowed me to control the attendance, and the flow of the lesson.
It turned out to be a great confidence builder, it really helped my professional growth.
Touch base with the School Administration and the Choir Teacher for ideas and routines.
Ask for a Staff Handbook to learn school start of the Year Procedures.
Go to a before school Start the Year Staff Meeting
The first two to three days, go over rules, routines, the school agenda, and the syllabus.
Ask other teachers in the building for opening work routines.
We also did some history of music lessons, and a couple music theory videos/worksheets.
Let the students know everything you do will be graded, and entered in the gradebook.
Go at least a day before school, to get keys, scope the layout of the school, and look at the room itself.
I know you will be nervous at first, but get to really know the kids.
The rapport you establish, will really go al ong way.
Enjoy the opportunity, you will be fine, and do a fantastic job.

subczy

What grade??
Old 08-01-2013, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well, with AVID they usually begin by playing get to know you games first. LIek the toss the ball and repeat the name sort of thing. Of course there is reading the syllabus and ground rules. AVID has a different format so that will capture their attention if they are new to it. (never heard of a band teacher doing avid!)

As for the music - if they are not brand new to playing then have them do some tuning by sections, play some warm ups from the books, and if the director leaves some music then have them work on that. Perhaps if it is a really long class or if they are getting bored have them break off into sections - it is noisy but the kids enjoy that.

above all - remember to bring water to drink and lots of headache meds.
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 08-02-2013, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have no idea wat AVID is, but I am a band teacher. Others gave good advice about making sure all music and necessary materials are available.

If this is middle school, it is probably likely that the kids know how to play and are not beginners so you can get them working on the music.

Find an older student who can help you start the group. That student could lead everyone in warm up scales and count everyone off to begin each piece. I would not worry so much about tuning unless students want to use the tuner in te room to individually tune before rehearsal starts. That is what most band directors do on a regular basis as well as get the students to listen to each other during warm ups since they usually consist of long tones.

Depending on how long the classes are, it could be a good idea to have students divide into sectional groups with the oldest student leaders running them. If the classes are only 40 to 50 minutes, I would not bother with that. 90 minutes yes.

Good luck.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Mrs. Mizerak

Mrs. Mizerak

band and AVID teacher
Old 08-04-2013, 12:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Good luck! I am missing the first 3 days of school for an AVID training, and had to set up lesson plans for my sub. For the AVID class, the "getting to know each other" games are great. You can also ask the other AVID teachers on site for worksheets or activities. My kids will be interviewing a partner, and then introducing them to the class. I think thats a good activity for the first day. Then you could review cornell notes, and asking higher level questions. You could also spend a period on having them do a socratic circle activity on a hot topic like "school uniforms" or something else. Dont be afraid to check the internet out for avid activities, too.

For the band.. well the first few weeks are hard, especially if you have school instruments that need to be loaned out to the kids. Us band teachers are usually pretty particular about how we run our programs, so s/he will probably leave you with either extensive plans, or "watch a movie and write a summary" plans. You can have the kids do breathing exercises, and clapping rhythms, or bring in a good movie and tie it in with music (each character has a musical theme.. describe how the music makes you feel about that character.." and temporarily make the band classes more like music appreciation. But probably the plans are good and clear for you. Good luck!!

beachPatty

here's one
Old 08-08-2013, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I found this ice breaker on Pinterest - thought it looked good:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yxILmerVz7...e+hunt+pic.PNG
beachPatty is offline   Reply With Quote