Substitute Teachers

Well, I guess the good news is...

>

Sub4Life?

Sub4Life?

Well, I guess the good news is...
Old 07-31-2013, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

...that I'll probably have sub work for the beginning of the school year.

(Senior member, signed out because of the rather specific details I'm about to give, but I suspect attentive regular readers will be able to guess who I am anyway. And apologies for the long story.)

So in February of 2012, a teacher I know called me on a holiday and asked if I could sub for him for a couple of weeks while he went out of state to visit his father in the hospital. His dad ended up staying in the hospital until early June, so I had a LTS job for the rest of the school year--extended week by week.

Last school year, he decided to go down to half-time so that he'd be more available for his parents, if needed. I got the other half of his job, which was fantastic! But there were funding/staffing issues at the school that resulted in someone with more seniority getting shuffled into that half-time position, and me getting shuffled out the door. So I've spent this summer job-hunting. Again. With no luck so far, again. There's still a month left of summer here, though, so I'm trying to hold out hope...

But today that teacher called me: His dad is back in the hospital, it's looking like the end is near, but he might linger awhile, and teacher wants to know if I'm available for the beginning of the school year.

So I am a) depressed at going back to f/t subbing; b) embarrassed about going back to that school as a day-to-day sub; c) frustrated that I'm going to do what was essentially my job for the last year and a half for daily sub pay; and d) incredibly grateful at the possibility of work during those first few weeks of school. And, of course, sad for this teacher--who's become a friend--and his family, and frustrated that it seems like nothing good can happen in my career unless something horrible happens to someone else. Yikes.

Just needed to get that out, I guess.

Singfree

Old 08-01-2013, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm sorry to hear everything that's happened! I couldn't help to smile when you said, "nothing good can happen in my career unless something horrible happens to someone else." That can be so true to subbing, especially for the non-maternity leave LT assignments. I never thought about it that way.

I understand the frustration with not finding full-time work when it looked promising. I don't know if you've read my long posts about references (the dreaded reference form) and a job that canceled the interview the day before, but it's left similar feelings as you have about going back to subbing. One thing with your situation is what happened isn't your fault! You're obviously well liked and a good teacher, or they wouldn't have offered you the half-time position. Another thing I've been trying to tell myself is that things can change in an instant for the better too. Hopefully that happens sooner rather than later! Wishing you the best with everything working out!
Singfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishmama

Don't be embarrassed
Old 08-01-2013, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

about going back to that school. It definitely wasn't your fault that you didn't get the 1/2 time job. It would have HAD to go to someone with more seniority.
PLUS.... being there this year, is a sign that you don't hold any animosity toward not getting the job the prior year.

A few years ago, I was supposed to get a long-term sub assignment at a school ..... for a teacher going out on maternity leave. I was asked by the teacher to fill in for her. A few weeks later, I find out the principal had rejected me and found someone else. I was devastated and embarrassed that I was flat out rejected. I ended up getting a different long-term sub assignment at another school.
Anyway, that summer, this same principal called me and asked me to interview to be a long-term sub for a different teacher. Several people had recommended me to him.
Long story short.....I got that long-term sub job (a few years ago), and I just got hired by that principal as a full-time teacher!
Englishmama is offline   Reply With Quote

subczy

consider it positive I say
Old 08-01-2013, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I say look on the bright side. I would NOT be embarassed about being a sub. Anyone who makes judgements about subs is assuming - not all subs WANT a full time room and you don't have to explain tha tyou do. There are advantages to flying by the seats of our pants. Of course we don't get the pay and financial benefits but we get a LIFE. We aren't worked to death at home. At the end of the day we pick up our purse and walk out. embrace that. Keep looking for your goals, but enjoy wha tyou have and enjoy that you did a great job and were asked back. Hugs
subczy is offline   Reply With Quote