Help

Substitute Teachers

Paid sick time??

>

grav_def

Paid sick time??
Old 08-19-2013, 12:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone get it? And if so, how does it work?

My city recently passed a law guaranteeing paid sick time for all workers. Just trying to wrap my head around whether it will apply to subs, too (seems like it must...), and how that will work. There's something in the law about how you can't take the PTO during a shift you weren't scheduled to work. I wonder if that translates into the subbing world as you can only call it a sick day if you had a job but had to cancel it, but not if you never took a job for that day?

Your thoughts?

grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

beachPatty

Old 08-19-2013, 04:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Interesting law ... !

I guess I would check with someone from HR in my school. Hard to say, though ... sometimes it doesn't seem like anything applies to subs, second-class citizens that we are ... :P
beachPatty is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I think
Old 08-19-2013, 06:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

you've figured correctly. People won't be able to claim sick pay for days off. For subs, you'd probably have to claim a job and then cancel due to illness. I wonder how that would work if you are called in person and can't work due to illness. Will the district record the sick leave claim? I'm betting if you take several jobs through AESOP and cancel for illness the next minute, you won't be on the sub list long.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 08-20-2013, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I'm betting if you take several jobs through AESOP and cancel for illness the next minute, you won't be on the sub list long.
I kind of don't think my district would notice something like that, actually. They've got a LOT of subs and don't tend to look into things like who's cancelling jobs unless there's a complaint.

I don't know...the law doesn't take effect until New Year's. It'll be interesting to see what happens then. I know Seattle and a handful of other cities have very similar laws already on the books; I was hoping someone there might know something.

subczy

city??
Old 08-21-2013, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our city cant' pass employment laws on our school board I don't think. They are seperate. They can pass it on city workers. Are you sure it isn't for city workers? How can they tell businesses to do that?

check into it more. If it is true I bet they find a way to omit subs - maybe start calling you contract labor or something.

subczy is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 08-21-2013, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
How can they tell businesses to do that?
I don't know, but they did. All the campaigns about it were mostly aimed at restaurant workers--because when you stop and think about it, you really want the person who prepares your food to be able to take a day off if he's sick!

We have a sub PD day on Monday; district/HR people will be there, and the union usually is, too. I'll see if anyone there knows anything.

Lottalove

I bet the PP is right
Old 08-21-2013, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Subs will fall under day laborers or at will employees and will be probably be exempt. Or it will have requirements for full time employment, 40 hour weeks or some other thing that will disqualify subs.

It will eventually hurt business though because employers may then begin to schedule everyone for less hours so that fewer employees qualify.

In all the stink about Walmart's employment practices, I think that was one of the tactics used to get around healthcare, etc.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote