Help

Substitute Teachers

Waiting for a Call

>

cpenner

Waiting for a Call
Old 08-19-2013, 01:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Someone recently posted about how they get ready in the morning whether or not they have a job lined up hoping for the phone to ring for a job. I've also heard of other people doing this

I've never gotten ready if I haven't had a job lined up and so far I haven't seen this as a problem (and I've been subbing for 5 years). Sometimes it makes for a very rushed morning and I'm grabbing a granola bar to eat in the car on the drive to a school or I've walked in late before because I got called too late or the drive was long. I find that USUALLY I get called early enough to not feel too rushed.

So I was wondering... do you get ready on the days that you don't have a job lined up?

cpenner is offline   Reply With Quote

Mom4boyz

Absolutely Not!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have kids to get to school so If I don't have a job by 6 I don't get ready. If someone calls me personally and I want the job I will go, but will tell them I will be there at whatever time. They will get the class covered until I get there. :-)
Mom4boyz is offline   Reply With Quote

beachPatty

Old 08-19-2013, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No, I don't. I agree that most call early enough. And if it's last-minute (not their fault, someone called in sick) they understand if you're a little late and just have someone cover till you get there. I think in 3 years, though, this has only happened to me twice.
beachPatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

Yes
Old 08-19-2013, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's not like I'm going to lay in bed all day or sit around the house nude (I don't wear pajamas). If I don't get an assignment for the day I still get up and get dressed and get on with my day. I always have things to do and/or places to go.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 08-19-2013, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't, either. A lot of days I wake up early, get Check for Change going, put the laptop next to me in bed, and go back to sleep (if I can). That way the C4C alert will wake me up if there's a job, and I can sleep in if there isn't.

I always have breakfast and lunch prepared the night before. And I'm not someone who spends a lot of time on hair and makeup; I can shower, dress, and be out the door in under half an hour if I need to. My district's rule is that you have to be there within an hour of accepting the job, whenever that happens, and there are very few schools that are more than a half-hour drive from me.

grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

Googiebump23

Old 08-19-2013, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't get completely dressed and ready to go without a job lined up. I'm no fashion diva, it takes me about 10 minutes to get ready. But I do get up and get a shower first thing. And I *try* to have things around the house as ready as possible so that I'm not scattering trying to get ready in a hurry. I bring my lunch to school in a cooler tote. So at some point the previous evening I make sure that things are available in my fridge to eat and drink and I make sure I put the freezer paks in the freezer.

Sometimes I'll get called so late that I have plans figured out for my free day....but I usually don't turn the job down.

Tammy
Googiebump23 is offline   Reply With Quote

sunshine*inc

Old 08-19-2013, 08:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do not get prepared for sub assignment unless I have one.
sunshine*inc is offline   Reply With Quote

theapple

Mornings
Old 08-20-2013, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Since I am a guy, it doesn't take me long to get ready, but I still do everything but get dressed about as soon as I wake up. There have been many times that I have been called just minutes before school started or even right after. I like to be able to get dressed and head out of the door when those calls happen.
theapple is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 08-20-2013, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Rarely do I have a day when I don't have a sub job already lined up. I still lay out my clothes the night before and I know how long it will take me to get to a school unless I get stuck behind a school bus, garbage truck, or in heavy fog.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

MissBurrill

Old 08-25-2013, 12:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

On the days I supply teach I make sure I'm showered and have eaten breakfast by seven if I don't have a booking. If the phone rings I just have to do my hair and make up and put my teacher clothes on. Plus grab something for lunch.

My supply days come via a government call centre which is very statistics based. The more I say yes the more my phone rings.

MissBurrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 08-25-2013, 03:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm generally up early anyway. If I know I'm working, I'll get ready before DS gets up, so we're not tripping over each other. But if I know I'm not working, I tend to stay in PJs and not get ready until after he leaves.

On "up in the air" days, I do generally stop checking the computer after a certain point and plan errands or housework or whatever for the day instead.

And on the rare occasions that I've gotten late calls for real emergencies, they've been very understanding "just get here when you can" type of requests.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote