Help

Substitute Teachers

Part-time long-term?

>

grav_def

Part-time long-term?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone ever done that? It's looking like I'll be spending a lot of time this year subbing for a teacher who's already gone down to half-time (voluntarily) to deal with some family issues. Now the issues seem to require his full-time presence, plus he's having personal health problems. (This poor guy cannot catch a break! )

I'm just trying to figure out how it'll work for me to transition from day-to-day sub, to long-term sub, to temporary teacher--which happens in my district, if he's away that long--if I won't be getting consecutive school days because the teacher I'm filling in for doesn't work consecutive school days.

(I sure am posting a lot of weird and complicated questions in here lately! )

grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

beachPatty

Can't say that I have ...
Old 08-20-2013, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is it part-time in terms of number of days/week, or partial days? At least if it's the first one, you'll be able to snag other jobs on the off days.
beachPatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-20-2013, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know how it works in your district but when I did an LTS for a semester, I got daily sub rate for the first ten days and LTS rate after that. What was really lame was that if I missed a day, I'd go back to daily rate for ten days and then up to LTS rate. I depended on the hand sanitizer and echinacea that semester!

Hopefully they'll be able to give you the temp teacher rate whenever you cover him at least.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 08-20-2013, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I don't know how it works in your district but when I did an LTS for a semester, I got daily sub rate for the first ten days and LTS rate after that. What was really lame was that if I missed a day, I'd go back to daily rate for ten days and then up to LTS rate.
Yup, that's how it is here, too. I'm not sure, though, but I think that once you hit 60 calendar days in the same assignment, you switch to temp teacher and at that point can take sick days and things. So it's per diem sub for days 1-10, LTS (higher pay) for days 11-2 months from day 1, and temp teacher (paid according to your step on the district payscale) after that.

This teacher plans to work Wednesday PM and all day Th and Fr. So what I'm trying to figure out is whether all those Mondays and Tuesdays--when I'll be subbing elsewhere, I hope--will count as "consecutive days"...they will be consecutive workdays for the teacher I'm subbing for! Argh...I'm getting a headache just thinking about it. The good news is that this school, and this district, have always treated me very fairly in the past (and I've spent most of the last 2 years trying to build my career around this same guy's personal tragedies), so I don't have to worry too much about it. I hope.

Gromit

Old 08-20-2013, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Good luck! I'm sure they'll give you the best deal they can; I hope their hands aren't too tied by rigid rules.

Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks!

(And ha ha, I'm pretty sure if it weren't for rigid rules I'd have a f/t job at this school by now. But the principal has always done her best for me.)

cpenner

Been there
Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I once lucked into a kindergarten term by going in for a sick teacher for a week (after week, after week). Luckily, where I'm subbing you start getting paid what you would earn as a teacher on your 6th consecutive day in the classroom. Then at probably around the 60 day mark I got a teaching contract for the kindergarten class for about the last 2 weeks before Christmas break... since I was already earning what I would be as a teacher it didn't change my pay.

At any rate this is awesome that you got this job! I wish I had something guaranteed to at least keep me somewhat busy (I'd take every other day for September!)

Congrats!
cpenner is offline   Reply With Quote

beachPatty

cpenner
Old 08-21-2013, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

That's pretty astounding about getting teacher's pay after 6 days. Where I work, a change in pay starts on day 16, and even then it's only $25/day more than what you normally get as a sub. But hey ... I'll take it ...

Buttercream

Old 08-21-2013, 05:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I' m surprised about the rates for some districts pay for subs .
Around here LTS are paid they same rate as a teacher first step on the salary scale( around 240 a day) . This is from day one of the assignment , the is no rate of pay changes after so many days in a LTS assignment . The daily sub rate is much less , a $105 a day with a $5 increase for bilingual or special ed. jobs. There is a $ 10 increase to daily pay rate once you work for the district for 30 assignments in a school year.
Buttercream is offline   Reply With Quote

beachPatty

Old 08-21-2013, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think I need to move ....

I work for several districts, and they range from $75-$100/day.

grav_def

Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
I think I need to move ....
You do! When I moved from the NE--where you are, I see!--to the NW, I more than doubled my income while doing exactly the same job.

Around here, the day-to-day rate is ~$175, LT (like I said, day 11 until you've been there 2 months, so around 35-40ish school days) is a little under $200/day, and after that you take your place on the teachers' pay scale, so it depends on your experience and education. For me at the moment that's about $250...I think it was $244 last year, but there's a COLA and I have another year's experience now. I don't feel like doing the math, but that's probably the ballpark.

Oh, and it applies retroactively--so if, like someone described above, a teacher thinks they're going to come back but then keeps extending the leave week by week, at the 60-day mark they will pay you the difference between the sub pay you got and the teacher pay you should have gotten for the past two months! That happened to me the year before last (for this same teacher, by the way!)...that was the BEST PAYCHECK EVER!

momandsub

I need to move..
Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Here in Northern CA pay ranges from 97.50 to 138.50. Long term is only 107.50. We cannot get a pay increase unless we have worked 100 days per year for 3 consecutive years. All I can say is thank God my husband is gainfully employed.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

cpenner

Wow!
Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I didn't realize the pay was so different across the states (I'm assuming most... if not all.. of you are from there). Here we get minimum $150/day (at least at the schools/divisions I'm in). One division even gives you an incentive for taking a half day and gives you slightly more than a half days earnings.
I would say come up to Canada but I'm not sure I'm interested in all the competition. Plus our winters can be (are) long... southerners may not survive.
cpenner is offline   Reply With Quote