Substitute Teachers

Does your area have too many subs?

>

Phyll2986

Phyll2986

Does your area have too many subs?
Old 08-27-2013, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Brief history of myself - sub for 1 yr in district A, middle school teacher for 6 years in districts B and C, went to law school as attempt to change careers (ended in failure), now trying to get back into teaching in districts D and E. I interview for a couple full time teaching jobs without luck, so I figured I would sub. Districts D and E have too many subs and aren't hiring (D and E are 2 relatively large districts in the South). Now that I don't have a full time job (plan A) or can't sub (plan B), I have to move on to Plan C (any job to pay the bills in short term, take Praxis II in another area so as to get certified and more shots at jobs).

Thanks for reading, any comments appreciated about (1) was I crazy to leave my job, go to law school, and try to come back, and (2) are there too many subs in your area?

beachPatty

Old 08-27-2013, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not too many here - school districts are ALWAYS advertising for subs. I guess it has to do with the part of the country. Do you have to stay where you are?
beachPatty is offline   Reply With Quote

cpenner

Definitely
Old 08-27-2013, 01:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are 2 university's in the city I live in both with education programs. With the amount of new graduates there isn't nearly enough jobs for half of them so most end up on sub lists. There is also another university (also with an education program) about 3 hours out of the city.

I've heard that if you go outside of the city you can be kept busy subbing (and probably have a better chance at getting a job). I tried that a couple of years ago but since I wasn't willing to move to become a sub I ended up last on their call list and rarely got called (and even when I did I usually had a job already in the city because they would call so late).

I don't think you are too crazy for leaving a job. How were you to know that it wouldn't work out? I've considered going back to school multiple times... but am only willing to go back part time so I could continue subbing and have some kind of an income to support me while in school.

Good luck finding a new job!
cpenner is offline   Reply With Quote

3leggedtable

Old 08-28-2013, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

They are always hiring subs in my area. I make $75 per day, which is the norm for the suburbs in Massachusetts. If I drive to Boston I can make $125 per day. Low wages keeps subbing a revolving door career where I live.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercury

No
Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My district just got rid of A LOT of subs, as part of the 'innovative improvement strategies' the district is trying. There really weren't enough subs to begin with...so we hit the ground running. Maybe though, due to the sub shortage some teachers will start treating us nicer!

Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

Doesn't seem to be a shortage of jobs
Old 08-28-2013, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

With almost 1mil population and 13 different school districts within a 15mi driving distance, there doesn't seem to be any over population of subs here.

...Mike
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

momandsub

Old 08-28-2013, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My main district was short of subs last school year and it looks like that is also the case this year. I have also noticed more of the private schools in this area looking for subs. The economy seems to have picked up a bit and I think many who were subbing just to get by have moved on to other things.
momandsub is offline   Reply With Quote

TryingtoLearn

Subbing
Old 08-28-2013, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My district is now computerized, so no calling unless no one signs up for a job. I have to scramble to make sure I find a job because they go fast. Need to sign up for Jobulator or I hear of another Check4Change need to see if I can get it on as an app on my phone. My district only pays 80 a day, very low since I live in a very rich state. Other districts higher but traffic is horrible and will use extra $ on gas. no win situation.

Don't think of it as a mistake, but as a life lesson.
TryingtoLearn is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

subs here
Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

There seem to be enough or more than enough subs in my district according to a recent complaint by one of the sub office people--she said that if subs on the list would only work there would be more than enough for all the jobs.

I'm thinking if they treated us better, we'd be more inclined to sub. I've certainly been working a lot less--different position than most. I'm retired with pretty good pension & medicare. I usually only sub when called by people who know me (and who I know to be good teachers). We've had a pay cut, been treated badly at some school, mandatory direct deposit of pay or no more work, etc. No representation by anyone for subs so they pretty much order us around. Whine, whine.

As far as law school: No knowledge is ever wasted, either from formal learning or learning from life. You don't know what is what until you try.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

neasg18

Yes and No
Old 08-29-2013, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Yes:
Sometimes on Jobulator i get a notification and i IMMEDIATELY open it up and try to accept the job as fast as possible, and i still get beat to it by somebody else.

however...
No, because despite that i've managed to get work every single day

although without Jobulator i'd probably be working once a week

neasg18 is offline   Reply With Quote

beachPatty

This is a little off-topic, but ...
Old 08-29-2013, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

... I really don't understand why some teachers treat subs badly. I hear it mentioned on this thread, and I've experienced it. I've been in some schools where you can tell that you are really appreciated, and other teachers are helpful, etc. But then I go in some schools and feel like I'm invisible. What's up with that? Surely they understand that we are a) competent and b) there to HELP them!!
beachPatty is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

On the other hand...
Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I can't say that I've experienced this in an extreme sense, but I also have a long term relationship with the school and staff where I'm subbing... but I think subs sometimes forget that the teacher's world is very different than ours. Regular teacher's have a full schedule and may not have the time for what we consider the "nice stuff." And in some cases they've been treated pretty badly by subs--rooms torn up, etc.

I've informally asked teachers about some challenges they've had with subs. One said "subs who seem to think I have time to sit and listen to the details of their personal lives..." Another described a sub who showed up and refused the lesson plan for the day because "I do my own thing." (She was removed from the sub list.)

Unfortunately, we're not all competent... and the reality is some are collecting a paycheck, period. (They're probably not on this board.) To be appreciated, you have to stand out--if only a little. For example, I not only introduce myself to the teachers in neighboring classrooms when I start (and their busy getting ready to start the day), if I'm leaving before them at the end of the day, I ask if there's anything I can do to help them before I leave. (After all, they helped me at the beginning.) At first I got a lot of shocked looks.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote
LIsub

LIsub

They don't remember....
Old 08-30-2013, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

It's like any other job where someone considers him or her self "above" you....they don't remember what it was like for them coming up and having to sub and scramble to make ends meet.

d3b0rah

Coming and going...
Old 09-01-2013, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

That is a GREAT idea to check with neighboring teachers and see if there's anything you can help them with at the end of a day!
d3b0rah is offline   Reply With Quote
VA sub

VA sub

Old 09-05-2013, 03:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Far too many subs here in Hampton Roads. My district uses Aesop and you have to be on it literally all the time to find any assignments. Even when you're on 24/7, you'll still struggle to find anything. At least half the time when you do find something, it takes finding 2 or 3 assignments before you get one, because they go so fast (someone clicks before you in the 3-5 seconds its been up). Probably about 1/3 of days I can't work and 1/6 or so of days I sub end up not being full days.

longtimesub

Answers to the questions.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

About the law school...No, you were not "crazy"...There is nothing wrong with trying to improve your financial situation by going to the law school. There is obviously no guarantee in life...
Gloria Allred, a famous attorney, once was a teacher...I don't think she would be rich and famous at this time if she had decided not to go to law school...
I tried law school myself for one year...I did not do so well.

There are too many sub teachers in my area which is Southern Calif...Most of the time, the jobs on internet disappear very quickly...There are still too many college graduates who do not have "decent" full time jobs...
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 09-07-2013, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Around here, they could use more subs - especially at the middle and high school level. I usually get as much work as I want on Aesop, even sticking mostly to the younger grades.

Don't feel bad about trying law school, though. You might regret it briefly now, but you'll get over it. If you hadn't tried, you would have always wondered if you should have.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Sub14

Old 09-07-2013, 09:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

In my area I don't think there are enough Subs, and I only do elementary school. As far as you going to Law school, I don't call furthering your education and working toward goals crazy. However, of course not all decisions are necessarily the right ones. I myself sometimes question my decision to have left a good paying job with medical, dental, vision benefits, paid holidays, paid personal days, profit sharing, bonuses, 401k, unemployment for layoffs, etc. making $58k per year, that I had been at for 12 years. Only to return to college to get my BAS, and end up trying to live off subbing as well as a few other things I do on the side to generate extra income, with no benefits. Plus I ended up draining my savings since I haven't been able to find a summer job for the last two summers, and of course we don't get unemployment.

This isn't what I expected to be doing for a living once I got my degree. But here I am with the same mortgage payments, utilities, insurance, phone, other expenses etc. that I had while working at the job I left. I took a education buyout so they did pay for my college education, which means I don't have college debt. However, I only made $7k last year subbing, and don't have a spouse or significant other to help with bills. I sometimes question rather or not I should have voluntarily gave up my job. But physically it was kind of demanding, the air was bad, it was loud, and I was just tired of working there (UAW assembly line worker). I'm definitely trying to find other employement and am mainly subbing because they are the only ones who would hire me after I graduated 2 years ago. I have turned in tons of applictions but nobody else has hired me. Another thing, I don't know about you but I'm over 45 and I think that some employers are definitely doing age discrimination. So I guess the main two questions I was wondering is what your age is, and do you have a lot of college loan debt to pay back. I personally wouldn't advise anybody over 40 to leave a stable job to go back to school, and definitely not if it requires taking out a lot of students loans. Going to school is fine but not leaving a good job. Ageism is real and decent jobs are just too hard to come by in this economy.
Sub14 is offline   Reply With Quote

longtimesub

An interesting story.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Sub14...Your story is very interesting. It was a big gamble indeed to give up a such job...

But, we all know that we sometimes have to take risks.
Good luck to you...
longtimesub is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

50 plus
Old 09-08-2013, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I was over 50 when I found that 30+ yrs of experience and the economic downturn pretty much ended it for me.
..Mike
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

ercokat

Way too many subs!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Where I am in NC, it is RIDICULOUSLY competitive! They use the Smartfind Express system here, and since March it has called me only once. It took 7 months. I have gone to schools, passed out business cards, and written letters. They have an open hiring system, and I was told there are over 1,600 subs in a countywide school system of 51,000 students.

I have only subbed at my daughter's school twice because there are "regulars" who I see there almost everyday when I drop off my child. I have left business cards, asked her teachers to consider me, etc, but it is so competitive and cliquey!

Any tips on how to break into a school with such established substitutes?
ercokat is offline   Reply With Quote