Are your schools taking security measures? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Are your schools taking security measures?

>

Sublime

Are your schools taking security measures?
Old 08-30-2013, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Several elementary schools in my district in the last year or so have installed window barriers in their offices, purportedly to foil would-be attackers, but which the secretaries have stated have resulted in keeping parents from roaming in and out of the office area (which they like). It's still a shock to me though to walk in the offices and be faced with the wall and window. Once school so far has also installed a tiny device on the doors so you can keep the doors locked but propped open a tiny bit. In emergency you just have to pop the tab and the door closes and stays locked. I've only been to 3 schools so far this year so I guess I'll see more changes as the year continues.

Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

MikeRocode

Nope...
Old 08-30-2013, 10:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Haven't seen any security changes other than signs that parents at at least one school have to sign in before going out on the school grounds.

They were pretty much allowed to show up at the end of the day and walk out to the outer
classrooms to wait for the final bell and their kids.

..Mike
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

my district
Old 08-30-2013, 10:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

has been busily totally enclosing school grounds for the last year or so. All gates are locked after the children are in class, the only entrance after that is through doors that need a buzzed admittance. It definitely slows down the parents and volunteers.

The thing I find most interesting is that the folks who do the admitting/are the first targets are the lowest paid people in the building. Hardly seems fair.

One school even has a kiosk at the bottom of the handicapped ramp with closed circuit TV to request admittance--the ramp is located far from the main entrance and a newly built hallway contains visitors.

I understand the concerns, but the buildings are looking quite fortress-like. Subs still don't always get keys, though.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 08-30-2013, 10:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Haven't seen any security changes other than signs that parents at at least one school have to sign in before going out on the school grounds.
It's pretty much the same here. There have always been signs on the doors saying to use the front entrance and to check in at the office; they're a little more insistent about it now, and a little better about keeping the side doors locked. That isn't always possible, though: A lot of buildings have portables with no bathrooms, so kids need access to the main building, for instance.

But beyond that and a few extra lockdown drills, not much has changed. I'm glad, actually. I wouldn't want to teach in a fortress. And even though it doesn't sound like it on the news, school shootings are still really rare when you think about how many schools there are out there.
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote