Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Seating arrangement

>

mrteacherguy

Seating arrangement
Old 09-08-2013, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Should I wait until the new quarter to change the overall seating arrangement?

My district is really big on students working together (TPS, shoulder partners, etc) and I started off the year with the paired off in rows. By the end of the week, I found that I didn't care for it that way and moved them into traditional rows, in the hopes that it might cut down on off-task chatter. Unfortunately, it makes it a lot harder to see what every student is up to and requires narrow walk ways between the rows.

I would like to put the students into groups of four as most of the other teachers on my team are doing, and modify their daily participation points to be group points (requiring them to take accountability for one another). However, I don't want to get in the habit of changing too often. My aunt (a teacher of many years experience) says that I should change it if/when I feel like it, because it's my classroom and it's my prerogative as the teacher. But I seem to recall Harry Wong saying that it's a bad idea to change too often.

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

jenny5879

Old 09-08-2013, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really like your idea about making their participation grade be group points. I have my class set up into groups of 3 and this would be a great behavior management tool. I asked my students to stay in their groups until the next quarter and then we will decide if we want to move or stay. Seeing that it is the beginning of the year still, I don't see why you can't move them again.
jenny5879 is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

I arrange my desks
Old 09-09-2013, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

according to what we're doing. We've been in school three weeks and so far, we've been in rows, in a big circle, in groups of four and in rows but facing another wall.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

blam

Seat Arrangement
Old 09-10-2013, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I change my seating arrangement every month because they get too comfortable sitting by their neighbors and some do not make very good neighbors. I may partner them up with people other than who their seat neighbors are to mix things up more and it seems to work fine for me. I change my seats from rows, to half circle, groups of 4 or 5 facing each other or in smaller circles.
blam is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsb12247

Old 09-12-2013, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I arrange my desks in groups of four; 2 boys and 2 girls. I change them once a month. I arrange the desks based on what we are doing: giant u, circle, pairs, etc... but generally they are 4s.

mrsb12247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Logicat

change them
Old 09-14-2013, 04:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think it would be worse to try to muddle through an ineffective seating arrangement just for the sake of not making too many changes. If it's not working, try something else. Maybe Harry Wong doesn't know EVERYTHING!
Logicat is offline   Reply With Quote

Mcquita

Seating
Old 09-27-2013, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I always change each month for the same reasons mentioned, the kids get comfortable with their neighbors. Of course there are people who do not like where they sit, I tell them it is only a month, they can handle it. If they continue to whine, there are there for 2 months. The variety of desk arrangement and moving people is successful for me.
Mcquita is offline   Reply With Quote

beachgirl

My Seats
Old 10-05-2013, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have tried table groups, but I find that when I am doing direct instruction they don't pay attention. So, here is what I do: I have them in rows, BUT they work in groups almost everyday. So, the row in front simply turns their chairs around to face the row behind them. Instant groups!

After a few times, they turn their chairs quickly and dive right into the group work. When we are done with groups, those turned around just turn back around to face the front. Takes only seconds.

Works for me
beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote