Help

Teachers' Lounge

I teach therefore I drink

>

guestfornow

guestfornow

I teach therefore I drink
Old 10-22-2013, 12:48 PM

In gatherings with fellow educators, it has come to our mutual attention that many of us, and I do mean many, drink. Not excessively; we’re not alcoholics (well, truth, maybe some of us are on the cusp but I digress), but we enjoy our cocktail(s) at the end of the day, and especially on Fridays, to unwind, decompress and basically de-stress from our day. Whether we are dealing with six year olds or sixteen year olds, the enjoyment of a libation or two seems to be a common denominator. We choose to live in a high stress environment on a daily basis (teaching is not a job; it’s a calling), but there are either consequences or tools with which we manage it.

To wit, (yes, an English teacher), I was wondering how many of us would be honest about our own alcoholic consumption, especially in this particular forum where our identities are anonymous. In addition, if you don’t imbibe, perhaps you could share how you de-stress. Exercise? Gardening? Drugs? Sign in as a guest if you choose not to disclose your “identity.” Please post your answers here.

lovetosub

Well, I'll bite
Old 10-22-2013, 02:11 PM

Being a writer and Scottish, if I don't drink, they throw me out of the club.

Humor aside, and adding the past eight years as a substitute teacher, working everything from 3rd grade to 12th grade, yeah, I "imbibe." I enjoy a cocktail, usually wine or beer but never anything stronger, on the weekends, and sometimes, well more than a few times, during the week as well, but never more than a glass or two. It's usually while I'm cooking dinner for my family, which can sometimes be labor intensive (we're vegetarians). I find subbing to be incredible stressful, but I love it, and when I've had 18 year olds throw staplers at me, yeah, I could use something to drink.
lovetosub is offline   Reply With Quote

Valone

Old 10-22-2013, 02:14 PM

When we drink Monday-Thursday......we say we are having a P.A.M. meeting (piss and moan).
When we drink on Fridays....we say we are having a P.O.E.T.S. meeting (piss off everything tomorrows Saturday).

I justified these meetings as therapy. If we had a high paying stressful job, we would be paying a therapist thousands of dollars to get things off our chest. We can't afford therapy, so we make our own.
Valone is offline   Reply With Quote

gatorgal

What?
Old 10-22-2013, 02:18 PM

There are teachers who don't drink?
gatorgal is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 10-22-2013, 02:25 PM

I just went for a long walk and aggressively ate a tootsie pop. Other nights a drink does the trick.

I will soon be choosing NOT to live in this high stress job. Please lord, or god of the martini, get me through these next two or three years!

wildflowerz is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 10-22-2013, 02:35 PM

Before a recent medical diagnosis, I usually did happy hour every one or two weeks, whether a couple friends at my house, or meeting up a ton of people at a restaurant or bar. While there, I would drink one drink, then switch to iced tea. I don't need/want a buzz of any kind, but I actually crave the flavor of wine or beer- just like someone might want chocolate or their favorite munchy.

I am not clear yet whether I can drink with the meds I'm taking, so I'll lay off all together until my next doctors appt. I want the social/therapy part of happy hour more than the alcohol. I come from a long line of people with substance abuse issues, and I don't think every family legacy should continue.
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsb12247

Nightly!
Old 10-22-2013, 02:41 PM

A glass of wine (a real glass) almost every night with dinner.
Fridays and Saturdays if I go out for dinner.
mrsb12247 is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Drinking
Old 10-22-2013, 02:47 PM

I have maybe one (1) drink a week --usually on Friday or Saturday night. Some weekends I don't drink at all. I don't drink during the week.

I use exercise as my de-stressing technique.
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

"Beer & chocolate - cheaper than therapy."
Old 10-22-2013, 02:53 PM

I probably average one drink (beer or wine) twice a week. Sometimes it's a de-stress thing, sometimes it just "goes" with what we're having for dinner.

As for other ways to de-stress, my favorite is getting outside with a good book! I also like getting lost on Pinterest.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

frecklejuice

Never was much of a drinker when I was
Old 10-22-2013, 04:11 PM

younger. I never did much drinking in college. But now, as a forty-something teacher, I do have a drink or two (or 3) on the weekends.

I know that the amount I drink does not even compare to what most of my coworkers drink.

frecklejuice is offline   Reply With Quote

beachygrl

Yep!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:13 PM

Like lovetosub, I have to write & drink to honor my heritage. I usually just have one cocktail 2 or 3 times a week. Two drinks in a night after a particularly annoying meeting. I also walk a lot, especially on the beach. And I've learned that just reading all the great posts on PT helps, too!
beachygrl is offline   Reply With Quote

stella.ivey

Drink, drank,drunk!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:21 PM

So glad i'm not the only one! I used to leave work and head to the gym.t
I put in 2 hours and then head to the track and run! ( forest run!) now, I have to pickup my 15 year old at 5 and that messes up my gym schedule. All this to say , that since I can't work out... A glass of wine each day is a must!!
stella.ivey is offline   Reply With Quote

grav_def

Old 10-22-2013, 04:34 PM

I don't think there's anything to be embarrassed about, if legal adults choose to have a drink every now and then.

As for me, most of my drinking happens on weekends, out with friends (almost never more than 2 in a night). I do occasionally--maybe once a week--have something at home, too.

I also exercise; they're not mutually exclusive. Although it's probably a good idea to space them out...
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 10-22-2013, 04:40 PM

Right now at home my only choices to drink are water or wine....I will happily admit to having wine in the evening. A glass of wine helps me fall asleep.
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 10-22-2013, 04:50 PM

I don't drink at all. I haven't had a drop of alcohol my entire adult life.

Not sure I do anything specific to destress. Sleep maybe?
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 10-22-2013, 04:50 PM

I don't drink. However, I do enjoy a nice dessert!
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 10-22-2013, 05:24 PM

Some years I drink more than others Just depends on the class. This year---not so much so, but I do enjoy my Friday night cocktail at home. I do restrict it to Friday. Well....maybe lets count in Saturdays, too! But not generally during the work week because it could get to be habit forming, I fear. I see nothing the matter with having some drinks, but I do come from a state known for its enjoyment of beer!
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

amigurumi

Old 10-22-2013, 05:31 PM

Are you kidding me?
The highlight of my week was the weekly five o'clock "meeting" at the Mexican restaurant for margaritas (sometimes, many), warm tortilla chips and salsa!! Tried to limit my consumption during the week, but an occasional glass of wine on the deck on nice evenings washed all my cares away for awhile. I'm retired, but still meet the old crowd at least once a month for our "meeting".
amigurumi is offline   Reply With Quote

TLC

Old 10-22-2013, 05:43 PM

One or two drinks one or two times a month. Don't like beer though I like sissy drinks like strawberry margaritas.
However, if I were rich I would have a problem with expensive champagne .
TLC is offline   Reply With Quote

Penguin82

Wow I'm in the minority
Old 10-22-2013, 06:03 PM

I have 2 drinks a night. Usually one when I get home and I am cooking and one later on in the night. Weekend is no holds barred. My husband and I usually share a bottle of wine on Saturday nights and drink beer I Sundays during football ad basketball season. I've noticed people drinking more and more as the stress and workload had increased.
Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote

heartmyjob

Really depends
Old 10-22-2013, 06:17 PM

I drink every weekend but it varies. Most Fridays I go to happy hour with colleagues where I'll have two or three drinks. I occasionally do this on week nights as well. Some weekends I go all out with my girlfriends and have too much too drink. I never drink at home because I live alone and don't like to drink alone.

On average, I'd say I have 3-4 drinks per week. Sometimes more and sometimes less
heartmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-22-2013, 06:19 PM

I have never drank so much as I have with my fellow teachers. I'm actually really not a drinker, rarely do it, but in teacher get togethers, half of my coworkers are invariably drunk within an hour or so. I can honestly say those celebrations with teachers have been almost the only time I've have anything alcoholic since I started teaching, and I rarely drink even then. I can't remember the last time I had alcohol at this moment, but it's been close to a year if not longer...?

I read, play games like jigsaw puzzles and candy crush and kenken, and spend time with my kids.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

knitting987!

Old 10-22-2013, 06:52 PM

My dh doesn't like drinking due to his previous marriage. They were all drunks. So I rarely drink. He doesn't like it in the house. I walk, knit, swim, read, eat. That is kind of what I do.
knitting987! is online now   Reply With Quote

Laurasusie

Oh my!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:06 PM

I must be an alcoholic!
I don't drink Sunday-Thursday at all, unless I am off work the next day.
On Fridays and Saturdays I drink a bottle (approx.) of wine. I am married to a non-drinker and we don't have any kids yet. The drinking will calm down when we have children of course!
Laurasusie is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 10-23-2013, 03:34 PM

Ok, I maybe have two drinks a year! Chocolate is my drug of choice.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 10-23-2013, 05:02 PM

I would say about a drink a week tops. Sometimes I will go months without a drink and then I'll have one each evening for a week.it has been about 2 weeks right now. I will have one cocktail tomorrow at a dinner I am going to but that is it.

Last week I could have easily had 3+ each night to deal with the stress but when I am feeling that way I typically won't have any.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote