Help

The Job Search

Kinder interview

>

breskeak

Kinder interview
Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an interview for a kindergarten position on Friday. Haven't taught kinder for quite awhile. What kinds of questions should I expect?

TIA!!

breskeak is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach_Again

Old 07-23-2014, 05:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

General Questions:
1. tell us about yourself/teaching philosophy
2. Why do you want to be a teacher?
3. Why do you want to teach at our school/this particular grade level?

Specific Questions:
4. How will you engage unmotivated/ill-behaved student?
5. How do you engage your students?
6. How do you measure success/effectiveness of your instruction?
7. What is your biggest strength, weakness? (make your weakness sound positive!)
8. How will you assess students' progress/performance?

Scenario Based Questions:
9. Student X is fidgeting on the carpet while you are teaching mini-lesson. Student X then gets up and roams the room, distracting a few students on the way. How will you address this issue?

There can be more similar questions to the ones I described. However, they are more common and many principals tend to ask them. Most importantly, when you are asked "do you have any questions for us?" make sure to say "I do" and ask them away!
Teach_Again is offline   Reply With Quote

breskeak

Stumped
Old 07-25-2014, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Finished the interview. Couple of questions that stumped me.....
1. How do u measure social & behavior behavior/development. I said thru observations & anecdotal records. Drew a blank on this! Any ideas on how I should have answered?
2. Asking me how I would teach reading & if I knew anything about Story Town. I said I used a balance literacy approach (I did go into detail on this) & that I did not know anything about Story Town. In retrospect I probably shouldn't have I didn't know anything but maybe said I wasn't familiar with it. Probably was too honest there?
3. Asked why I wanted to work at their school. I researched their website & found absolutely nothing regarding their mission/vision. I just said I had worked in the villages for 12 years, that I had worked in another school in their district and felt like it was a good district to work in. Also told them I'd be honest & told them I wasn't really that familiar with the school.

I felt like the interview was going well until I faltered on the above. I wasn't nervous until I got these questions. I think they all (3 on committee) knew I was reaching with these answers! What do you all think?
breskeak is offline   Reply With Quote