Help

Kindergarten

How to help advanced students in reading

>

grtlaks

How to help advanced students in reading
Old 08-29-2014, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I gave my reading assessments this week, and half of my class is low to average, and half are above average. We use Reading Street and a lot of these students know letters, sounds, and all of the sight words for the year. I will need to work on writing with them, but I am not sure how to help them advance when they are already so high. (while the others need everything taught) Any thoughts on what I can do with them using Reading Street? Thanks!

grtlaks is offline   Reply With Quote

Iluvteaching

Old 09-20-2014, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know anything about reading street but in my room each student has their own book box and are at different levels throughout the year. I have leveled books A-J so it works out well and the students just read when they have down time. Then for 10 minutes a day, starting in Oct., I choose 4 kids and they get to sit in a special chair and read a book to the class. The class claps when they are done and they feel so proud. The student could read an A book for a G book. The class doesn't care and they always clap no matter what. Just an idea! :-)
Iluvteaching is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 09-21-2014, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love the idea of having them read to each other! I've seen lots of kids really enjoy that opportunity. (It also gets you some empathy - they actually learn what it feels like when the "audience" doesn't pay attention.)

If you have parent volunteers, you can occasionally add "book clubs" to your reading time as well. - A few students who don't need to hear the lower lesson you are doing can read a harder book with the volunteer for a little variety. Just take turns depending on how many copies of the book you can get and how many kids your volunteer is comfortable with.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote