>

Staff

Editor

Staff
Kindergarten Get-Together!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Kindergarten teachers!

Join us for a back-to-school get-together with other Kindergarten teachers right here on the Kindergarten Board.

Tell us: what is special to you about teaching Kindergarten? Also, feel free to share anything you'd like to share about yourself or your teaching interests. If you're a brand new teacher, let us know that too. Let's see who we have here!

New Members welcome!

Editor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-01-2014, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What is special about teaching kindergarten? There are too many things to list! I love their excitement, enthusiasm, sense of humor, and the fact that they are honest to a fault. I love the amazing growth that happens in kinder. To see a child go from not knowing anything academic to reading and writing is amazing! I love the light in their eyes when they realize that they can do something that seemed so daunting at first. I love to listen to their conversations as they play. I love the fact that many of them start school with no understanding of what school really is, and by the end they are confident and independent and oh so proud. I love kinders!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

hockey6882

I love Kindergarten!
Old 09-01-2014, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There is no grade like kindergarten! From that first day of "real school" to the graduation ceremony, these little learners are growing and changing. They are learning to read, write stories, add numbers, but most importantly they are discovering that love of learning before testing and grades whittle it away.

I love watching and listening to my Kinders- their conversations are priceless when they think no one is listening. Those moments when they finally "get" something is one of the most rewarding feelings I have as their teacher. That look of pure joy- there is nothing better!
hockey6882 is offline   Reply With Quote

angelj2014

Old 09-01-2014, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What is special about teaching kindergarten?

Teaching kindergarten is special because you will see many students come in without any prior experience in school. Many students will have no fine motor skills and may even be unable to communicate clearly with others. Month after month, you will see the students grow so much, and it's extremely exciting! Their growth shows that your hard work as a teacher is successful and their hard work as students is successful. And let's not forget the parents, their hard work helping their child at home is also crucial in their child's academic growth. Kindergarten students are so eager to learn, which creates an excitement for kindergarten teachers to put their all into what they do. Kindergarten students come in a babies and leave as successful students ready for first grade, and that is definitely worth being a part of! Kindergarten is the BEST!

By the way, I am a brand new teacher. Looking forward to this wonderful journey!
angelj2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

tatalufo

Special Kinders
Old 09-01-2014, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

To me, the most special thing about teaching Kinders is their innocence. They come into school READY to learn and do so at a phenomonal rate! It brings tears to my eyes when I think about my students and the world that opens up to them as they become readers! I love this age group as they are completely "open minded" when it comes to learning.

tatalufo is offline   Reply With Quote

Disneyroom

Old 09-01-2014, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love the freedom of teaching themes in Kindergarten! I have 25 energetic students this year and I am looking forward to a great year! A new ipad would be great for my room
Disneyroom is offline   Reply With Quote

Kindre

Nothing like it!!
Old 09-01-2014, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

There is nothing like teaching these little learners. They are so willing to learn and try things once they feel a part of the classroom community. They think "outside the box" so far that I think they've left the "box" far behind. Love, love, love to teach this age group!
(also the principal seems to be afraid of the little people and so he leaves us alone. Lol)
Kindre is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher1116

What makes kindergarten special?
Old 09-01-2014, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think that kindergarten is so special because we are the first step to making lifetime learners out of our students. I love knowing that I am helping to build a foundations on which their entire learning experience will be built on and I try my best to make sure that the foundation is a well built one. The look on their faces as they learn all the new things that kindergarten offers is priceless.
NCteacher1116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Owlbefun

What is Special about Kindergarten
Old 09-01-2014, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

What is Special about Kindergarten?

Kindergarten is full of children eager to learn. Everything is new to them and they embrace it and take it all in.

I love seeing that moment when it all clicks for them and they start reading and writing. They are so excited about what they have accomplished.

I love Kindergarten and can't see myself teaching anything but Kindergarten.
Owlbefun is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 09-01-2014, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm retired now but I spent my entire career teaching kindergarten and I wouldn't have had it any other way! There is no other grade that has so much growth! They come in as babies and they walk out as students. Watching their skills, independence and confidence grow daily is worth the runny noses and untied shoelaces I love their enthusiasm for everything...."Look I brought in a rock today".....Yay! A rock!"

PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

sbmom

Kindergarten is special
Old 09-01-2014, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This is my 24th year of teaching but my first in Kindergarten. My choice to teach Kindergarten came from a desire to work with our youngest students who are so enthusiastic about learning. Kindergarten is special because teachers get to guide students to become the type of student and learner they will become. This summer of planning and creating for my students has helped revive my love of teaching.
sbmom is offline   Reply With Quote

radiancy

What is special about Kindergarten
Old 09-01-2014, 11:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

What is special about Kindergarten? Everything. I love how you are able to be the person to plant the seed of learning in their lives. Kindergarten is always exciting they are little people who have great imaginations. Teaching Kindergarten allows me to help them to learn how to read, how to work nicely with others, and how to follow directions. It's great to sing songs, dance, and have fun while learning.
radiancy is offline   Reply With Quote

k28

What is special about Kindergarten?
Old 09-01-2014, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

So much has already been said.

I think the families make it special too. Not only are the kids coming in eager to learn and we make a big impression. But we also set the first step of the path for the parents too.

Wouldn't trade grade levels any time soon!
k28 is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 09-01-2014, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have been teaching for 25 years--all the way up to grade 8. But kindergarten feels like "home". Their eagerness and willingness to do new things is precious. That "lightbulb" moment when everything comes together and they are reading a word or sentence on their own? Nothing compares to that!
imatchr2 is online now   Reply With Quote

raiders1

raiders1
Old 09-01-2014, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I LOVE teaching kindergarten!! To see my 5 year olds grow into readers by the end of their kindergarten year is AMAZING!! The pride they have when they discover they can pick up a simple reader and read it to themselves is such a blessing!!
raiders1 is offline   Reply With Quote

kathyics

I've almost done it all and Kinder is BEST!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I started out teaching Kindergarten but only got 3 years in before being asked to move into Administration and teach resource reading. The reading part was gratifying, but I hated administration. They had gotten a great teacher to take my place, so there was no going back.f

I teach at a small Catholic school, so we all have to wear many hats. Before long I was teaching junior high English and Reading. After a total of 5 years out of Kinder, I got an opportunity to return and I jumped at the chance. I'm starting my 5th year back, and I sincerely love it and know that this is where I belong. These kids are like little sponges, and so very loving!

For any of you out there who wonder if teaching another grade level might be better, don't! You're in the best place to make a difference in a young child's life, and to give them the best start in school.

I LOVE what I do.
kathyics is offline   Reply With Quote

VolsTeach

You never
Old 09-01-2014, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

know what is going to happen! Teaching kindergarten is special because they are so eager and excited to learn!!
VolsTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

peppatty

Kindergarten is Special!
Old 09-01-2014, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Everyday is a surprise! I love that the children come to school excited to learn and appreciate everything school has to offer. It is special because everyday brings a laugh. They always have a way of bringing a smile to my face.
peppatty is offline   Reply With Quote

Marji

Full of smiles
Old 09-01-2014, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

As others have said there are too many reasons to list why Kindergarten is the best! I'm only in my 2nd year at this grade level, and I too have taught everything from K-6. Five year olds are innocent, loving and so very honest. They come in each day with a smile to share, and if I'm having a bad morning it's just a few minutes till they turn my day around. With these little ones you can make a mistake and someone will inevitably say, "It's okay Mrs. _ we love you anyway." They are precious and priceless.
Marji is offline   Reply With Quote

Laura

Molding young minds
Old 09-01-2014, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I love phonemic awareness and phonics! Teaching children to read is the best. Not only do they go "wow, now I can read!" but their parents are so happy about it too!
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote

bennyjake

What makes
Old 09-01-2014, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

What makes Kinder special to me is the incredible growth that can be seen from Aug. to May! They progress into such independent learners by the end of the year. Many come without knowing a letter of how to hold scissors, but by the end...wow!!! I actualy feel a bit selfish, as I think we get to see the most growth compared to other grades! They also LOVE you unconditionally. Who doesn't enjoy that aspect???
bennyjake is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

What is Special About Teaching Kindergarten
Old 09-01-2014, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Teaching Kindergarten is special because...
We are able to set the foundation for learning.
Students are excited & eager to learn
Students are soo adorable

I have taught k every year of my career--17 yrs. and I LOVE teaching K
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

gege1

Excited kindergarten Teacher
Old 09-01-2014, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Hi everyone!! my Name is Glennis Morley. I absolutely LOVVVVE teaching preschool. I get very excited when I see parents come in with their expectations for the news school year... An am flushed with joy at the end of the year when those expectations are met.... I love the thought of a teacher can change the world... One child at time... So when it time for learning I a super excited, giving it all I get!! I love teaching kindergarten because besides being adorable / cute.. I want to be apart of a child's life at the beginning helping to mold them into a greater child... An Awesome teen, an Spectacular adult who is going to help change the world.
I've been teaching for 12 yrs.... I've been in kindergarten for 7yrs and I won't have it any other way! Kindergarten ROCKS!!!!
gege1 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachingkidzs

Old 09-01-2014, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I love teaching Kindergarten because the students are full of life and energy. It doesn't take much to impress them. Something as simple as a sorting activity will receive the reply "this is awesome". They are sponges and really enjoy learning. Teaching Kindergarten also helps me stop and enjoy life. I definitely get in my daily dose of laughter and hugs.
teachingkidzs is offline   Reply With Quote

kteachrm

Teaching Kindergarten
Old 09-01-2014, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

This is my 21st year of teaching Kindergarten and will be my last. I'm taking the huge step of retiring and am having a very bittersweet year. What's special about Kindergarten is, of course, the students: the hugs, the beautiful pictures for my refrigerator, the conversations, the enthusiasm, the growth. I love seeing their faces the first time they read a book independently. Makes me cry every time! Kindergarten is the most demanding, most exhausting, and most rewarding grade you could teach!
kteachrm is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 09-01-2014, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

What is special about teaching Kindergarten?

The children are full of life and joy. They love learning and even the simplest of tasks are exciting. It's never dull. It's not always easy but it's never boring. The growth they make is astounding--at the beginning of year they know nothing. By the end of the year, they walk quietly in the hallway understanding that it's because it's respectful to the other people in the school, they write interesting sentences to the best of their ability, they draw amazing pictures and can have interesting discussions about a variety of topics.

I love teaching Kindergarten--it's the hardest, best job I've ever had.
GreenBunny is online now   Reply With Quote

Chiworker

What is special about kindergarten
Old 09-01-2014, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I love the growth. It is always amazing to me that some students come in knowing very few letters and numbers but come out as readers and writers. That is absolutely what makes kindergarten special to me. I also love working with small groups. Centers are my favorite part of the day and within that it is guided reading. I love the connection I make with my groups. I truly enjoy this time and because I show that I know my students enjoy the time too. I am working on making my math more like my literacy centers. That is my goal for this year.
Chiworker is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 09-01-2014, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Too many things to list but I will try.

~excitement for learning
~amazing growth
~funny things they say
~being able to do cute projects
~singing, dancing, acting goofy
~the hugs & pictures you get

I could go on...
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Afghan

Loving Kindergarten!
Old 09-01-2014, 03:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I love that kindergarten students are like blank slates. God has given us the privilege to teach these young students. Each day I get to see the excitement in what they are learning. I love the 'a-hah' moments when something finally clicks. I love how they think sometimes shocking you with their insights. I love being challenged with their wonderings.
Afghan is offline   Reply With Quote

jat12

What is special to me about teaching k.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I have taught kindergarten for the past 18 years. I have had many people ask me why I have never tried another grade. Why would I??? I love when my K babies walk through the door that first day seeing how eager they are to find out what big school is all about. I love how they never filter anything they say because they are so young and well, they tell it how it is. I love how they are still dependent on you and how they see you as not only their teacher, but also their hero, counselor, nurse, friend, and sometimes their parent. I get called "mommy" a lot. I love how many enter and have never picked up a pencil, crayon, marker, or pair of scissors, and seeing how quickly they learn to use these tools. I love how in the beginning they may know only letters and sounds and by the end of school they are reading books on their own and bringing the books up to me to share what they have learned or their favorite part of the book. But most of all, I love how many of them say every day, I love you teacher. It melts my heart every time!
jat12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherdeena

Kindergarten
Old 09-01-2014, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

I have been teaching kindergarten for five years but this is my first year teaching OEK. My students come in so young and every year I think of how challenging it is going to be to teach them all my rules, train them to do Centers on their own, the steps in Writer's Workshop, and all the math we do now. When I went to kindergarten, the most challenging thing we learned was how to walk properly in the hall! By the end of the school year, I marvel at how smart my students are and watch as they changed Center baskets on their own, clean up when I ring the bell, write sentences during Writer's Workshop, line up in order at the end of the day, all the things that I trained them to do over the year. When a higher grade teacher passes me in the hall and comments that they could never teach kindergarten, I think, "That's okay, I can…and I love it!"
Teacherdeena is offline   Reply With Quote

grtlaks

Kindergarten
Old 09-01-2014, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Everyone listed so many of the best things about kindergarten. I love teaching kindergarten. No where else can you find the excitement, love, awe, and eagerness as you do in kindergarten. You can do no wrong, and everything you say is hung onto with absolute faith. They love coming to school and hate days off-even I can't say that! My only wish is that they remember everything they learned in kindergarten. As they get into upper grades, they remember they loved you, but it's the other teachers that are more recognized for their learning. I still wouldn't change a thing though
grtlaks is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher heart

Why I love teaching Kindergarten
Old 09-01-2014, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I love their smiles in the morning. It doesn't matter how I feel that morning. It doesn't matter if I'm tired or grumpy, when I see them walk through the door, their faces light up mine! Who could not smile at a five year old?
I love that everything is new and fresh to them. I love the "oooo"s and "ahhh"s when I mix the blue, yellow and red to make green, purple and orange. I feel like I've just done the best magic trick ever done. In their short little lives they've only had 4 or 5 Christmases and all the stories I've told a thousand times are new again when I read to them.
I love the hugs and the "I love you"s that warm my heart.
I love the way a Kindergartner thinks. They are so literal in their understanding and their frame of reference with which to make sense of the world.
I love being a part of the foundation of their learning. I love shaping and influencing their attitude about school. I love that I get to make school exciting for them.
I can't imagine teaching any other grade!
teacher heart is offline   Reply With Quote

filehead

Kindergarten is the best!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Ditto what everyone else said. To me it's the "ah aaa" moments when the little light bulbs go off in their heads, learning is so magical. Have a great year everyone!
filehead is offline   Reply With Quote

k-tchr

What is special about teaching kindergarten?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

The eagerness to learn and the excitement they show over all the little things (and big) that they master throughout the year. Watching my kindergartners blossom as the year progresses is always amazing to me. They are like little sponges taking it all in. Their eager faces and smiles each day and the hugs along the way are also a bonus. I love watching their faces and seeing the wheels turn as they are thinking of the answer.
I love encouraging my students, celebrating with them each victory, and helping them love learning as they venture into becoming lifelong learners.
k-tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

DRV

The kids are so open
Old 09-01-2014, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I love that the kids are so open to learning and are willing to try everything. They are happy with just a smile or a sticker, and they genuinely like each other and like school. I always think of kindergarten as the "fun year."
DRV is offline   Reply With Quote

KinderCan

So many things!
Old 09-01-2014, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Kindergarten wasn't where I originally wanted to be! However, 11 years later I wouldn't want to be any other place.
I love that my kinders are like sponges! They love to learn and even though some don't enjoy school in the beginning, by the end of the year, they beg to stay one more year! I love that so many come to me knowing very little, and leave reading! I love their personalities and their sweet faces!
Kindergarten is the best place to be!!! (Our old principal called us Happy Land!)
KinderCan is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Laughter
Old 09-01-2014, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

The innocence and honesty of the little ones leads to conversations and actions that absolutely crack me up!
They are really still just babies, and to watch them grow SO MUCH during the year is really special.
The enthusiasm for learning is (almost) universal for these kiddos...even if the topics of choice aren't the topics I have to teach
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

ceceteaches

What is so special about "Kinderland"?
Old 09-01-2014, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Only in Kindergarten can you wake kids up from a nap by dancing and singing loudly!
Only in Kindergarten will you find the most eager-for-learning group of children!
With Kinders I can change voices while teaching phonics, walk in my house shoes, and dance about nothing at all!
I started teaching 14? 15?..years ago in 1st grade and loved it! Never thought I would enjoy K5, even K4! Now I'm extremely thankful to God for placing me with such a great group of kids! I truly have enjoyed seeing them go from barely knowing their abc's to reading books with great ease!!
KINDERGARTEN IS AWESOME!!!
ceceteaches is offline   Reply With Quote

sully1

Why teaching kindergarten is special
Old 09-01-2014, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

They are so excited to be at school and to learn! The best part is the excitement that they have when they learn a new skill!
sully1 is offline   Reply With Quote

breezey

Kinder...
Old 09-01-2014, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

What I LOVE about Kindergarten:
*smiles
*laughter
*honesty
*joy of learning
*their stories
I LOVE KINDERGARTEN!!!
breezey is offline   Reply With Quote
Lee200

Lee200

Kindergarten Empowerment Teacher
Old 09-01-2014, 11:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

Kindergarten is an amazing year of growth and discovery - my job is not just to teach! My job is to empower these little ones to become confident problem-solvers. At the beginning of every kindergarten year I explain what we will do in our classroom community. I legitimately tear up as I tell them by the end of kindergarten they will become readers and that this gift of reading is their life-long power. In September they just say "Mrs. G cried today when she told us about becoming readers", by June when they are readers they hug me and some cry as they realize the magnitude of their power! This is why I teach - to change the lives of 5 year olds! My expectations are to the ceiling!

Frogger2

Amazing growth
Old 09-02-2014, 01:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

I love teaching kindergarten!! The reading growth these youngsters make in one year is amazing! Those who go from not knowing a single letter name/sound to reading fluently knock my socks off!
Frogger2 is offline   Reply With Quote

abck

Sweet Kindergarten
Old 09-02-2014, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

This is my 43rd year of teaching. I've been teaching Kindergarten for the past 10 years. I had taught 1st grade for many years. But Kindergarten is so special. It's so neat to be their first teacher to start them in letters and sounds and how to read!! I love seeing the growth in them. I love seeing them mature and take responsibility for their actions. What an awesome responsibility I have as their teacher! What a blessing they are to me.
abck is offline   Reply With Quote

globalgirl

Hugs, pictures, and fun!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

Teaching kindergarteners is special because of the kindergarteners!
I love their precious smiles, their enthusiasm for even the smallest things, their freely given hugs and "presents", and how much fun they are!
I teach in an English speaking private school in South America, so all my little ones are learning English as a second or third language, most are in their second year learning, but a few are new to it. I really enjoy watching how at the beginning of the year they are constantly asking "what does that mean?" and at the end of the year they are chattering away in English!
Kindergarteners are such brave little things. Even the tearful ones. They get through bumps, hurt feelings, mixed emotions, all the things that come with growing up, and they (almost always) manage to come out on top.
So precious!
globalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Shell

Old 09-02-2014, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

I love watching my kinders discover that they are readers and writers. The look on their faces when they realize that they are learning is worth every August and September craziness.
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote

hlkk

Old 09-03-2014, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

The special thing about teaching kindergarten is these children all seem so excited about learning! I also love to see the progress kindergartners make from the beginning of the year until the end... no other grade level shows as much progress to me
hlkk is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

Kindergarten
Old 09-04-2014, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

In kindergarten, you see so much growth; each day they clearly know more than the day before. They feel close to the teacher and say what they think. They are kind to each other and accepting of the differences in others. Having a part of teaching them to read and seeing their excitement and enthusiasm is a pay day all in itself.
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote

punior

Love
Old 09-04-2014, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

I can sum up kindergarten with one word - love. They love school. They love their new friends. They love you no matter what you do! There is also all the excitement of learning to read that is totally awesome - but the love is so great!
punior is offline   Reply With Quote

benteach

Kindergarten is Amazing
Old 09-04-2014, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

This is my 23rd year of teaching. I now have taught all grades from preK to Grade 5. This is my third year in kindergarten and it is the best grade I have ever taught. Everything from the first day each students walks into the classroom until the day they move on to first grade is amazing. No other grade shows as much growth and change and excitement as Kindergarten - I hope to stay a teacher in Kindergarten until I retire in 8-10 years. There is nowhere else I would rather be!
benteach is offline   Reply With Quote

starthird

Kindergarten
Old 09-04-2014, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

What is special to me about teaching kindergarten is the amount of growth they make in a year. It is always so amazing to reflect back on the beginning of the year and see just how far they have come. I also just love the things they say, I always find myself giggling which helps make my job even that more enjoyable. I am so excited to be back in kindergarten after I spent last year teaching 4th after a move to a new state. It is definitely refreshing to be back with the littles!
starthird is offline   Reply With Quote

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 09-04-2014, 09:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

I taught preschool and prekindergarten for 20+ years before going back to school and earning my K-8 teaching certificate. This is my 14th year teaching kindergarten.

What's special about kindergarten? It's that I welcome 22 (or more) miracle babies (every child is their family's 'miracle' baby) and 22 families who rely on my guidance throughout the year. Since I am a parent cooperative where parents are required to work in the classroom one morning or one afternoon per week per enrolled child, I am training parents as well.

No other grade welcomes students as they come with no knowledge of their abilities, family circumstances or emotional status. Every day provides an opportunity to learn more about each child. I try to remember and take advantage of that every day.

I love when I have others (teachers or parents) in my classroom who have never taught kindergarten or who have never spent time in a classroom before---They are amazed when they see me teach how to use a tape dispenser, how to use Twistables, how to use glue or glue sticks, how to hold their pencil, how to walk in a line, how to proceed quietly down the hallways, how to raise their hand and wait to be called upon...and the list goes on and on and on. This kindergarten experience is the first real school experience for so many of them and there is a vast amount of skills to be mastered..

Many, or most, do not know how to follow directions in a timely manner. Patiently, I must move them forward, not asking too much of them too soon or risk shutting them down, and yet, instilling a desire to follow rules and persevere in any and all tasks. It is a daunting responsibility.

It is always the children who make me work the hardest who make a lasting mark on my heart and will never be forgotten. The boy who pocketed the lunch money his father gave him each morning, depositing it in his home piggy bank, because he mistakenly thought all he had to do was give his name to the lunch lady ("Dad, you don't need money, you just give them your name"--not realizing he was accruing a large bill). The child who convinced another child (after a coin drive for disadvantaged children) that he, himself, was indeed 'poor' and the other child brought him money from home for weeks...until his mother asked him why he was bringing money and inquired of me as to whether this family needed more help...uh, no, the family in question had both parents working, one a veterinarian, one a psychologist...The girl with aspergers/ODD...who was extremely bright but also manipulative. She arrived with an aversion to coming into the school building, the classroom and when we did get her in, she would claw at the door to get out and my assistant had to guard the door. She challenged everything/everyone, but when she was compliant, in a good mood, she was an extraordinary child and SO lovable--incredible insights....she left as one of my best readers and writers and still comes back to give me a hug now and then (2nd grade now and always comes into the building and into class).
And these are why we teach and what is special about kindergarten---each and every child is special and brings special opportunities to learn about all children--how they think, how they process, how they put ideas into action, and most importantly, how to pull all these things together in order to move them to a higher level.
jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

Why I love k
Old 09-05-2014, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

When I was first assigned to KK I had nightmares. But after 6 years I have found a home in kindergarten. Here is list of the things I love:
The kids love you no matter what.
It doesn't take much to them excited because they love to learn.
They will learn big words when you introduce them as fifth grade words.
Parents are highly involved in the educational process at this point.
My P is afraid of little learners and leaves me alone to teach.
They are adaptable, if something is not working it doesn't take long to retrain.
Hugs, hugs, and hugs.
Lots of drawing and notes.
I love KK.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Harrellp

What's not to love?
Old 09-06-2014, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

I never thought that I would love teaching Kindergarten students. But after 11 years, I can't see myself teaching any other group level. This is what I love about teaching them:
1. First, they are so darn cute!
2. They love to learn, they want to learn!
3. They learn so fast! I see the fruit of my labor so quickly!
4. They are so easy to please; it is amazing how they always go along with what I present to them!
5. They are the most forgiving people in the world! They can get so upset if I do not let them have their way or if I have to discipline them but later on the same day, they hug me and tell me that I am the best teacher in the world.
6. They give me the weirdest gifts like pieces of shiny gravel, pieces of dirty sticks, their own art work (which I always display), feathers, etc... but their generosity is always genuine, and unconditional.
7. We have fun!
8. Sometimes, they call me "mama"! They don't mean to and they quickly retract but it makes me feel fuzzy (my own children are now young adults).
9. They think that I am 29 years old!
Harrellp is offline   Reply With Quote

bi_skj

Why is Kindergarten the best?
Old 09-06-2014, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

1. They love you and want to please you.
2. They are little sponges.
3. You get to do art and crafts!
4. No pressure of state test or papers to take home and grade.
5. They still believe in make believe.
6. It's the best grade of all!
bi_skj is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Here!
Old 09-06-2014, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

I do love kindergarten! I taught early childhood/preschool before I landed in K. I love the independence -- Maybe not so much at the beginning of the year -- bit by the end of the year -- they are so different!!! You can see so much growth as the year goes on. I love walking around my campus and seeing former students who remember me and consider me a part of their lives! You do truly start the year with a blank slate -- I think kindergarten teachers are among the most influential of all! And that's important to remember when you are in the 'trenches' and having a challenging day! 😃😃😃😃
IA11 is online now   Reply With Quote

breezey

Old 09-07-2014, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

*energy
*curiosity
*energy
*honesty
breezey is offline   Reply With Quote

Matilda2

grtlaks
Old 09-07-2014, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #58

Congrats on winning the ipad, grtlaks!
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...d.php?t=509636

I hope grtlaks has message alerts turned on or checks in!
Matilda2 is offline   Reply With Quote

JHKteach

Kindergarten is the best place to be!
Old 09-08-2014, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #59

I love kindergarten because I love the kids and their enthusiasm for life.
JHKteach is offline   Reply With Quote