Help

Kindergarten

Go Math!

>

corkys

Go Math!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The K-5 grades in my school decided to try Go Math in order to align with Common Core. I am trying to do a lesson a day, using the wkbk. These lessons are taking me a long, long time! Any advice from someone experienced with Go Math???? How do you pace it?

corkys is offline   Reply With Quote

grtlaks

Old 09-03-2014, 02:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is my fourth year using it. It was hard to get used to initially, but you will. I do one lesson a day. The first day of the unit, I do the introduction packet, and lesson 1. The kids slowly get use to the jargon, and are able to follow along better. The "draw to show what you know.." part confuses the heck out of them until I explain what it means. A lot of it I put into normal language with the book language. It takes us about 30 minutes to get through it. I will say I do not always use the counters they tell you to use. It takes way too long and is more confusing than it should be. We do it on the Smartboard, and I have the kids color in the frames without using the counters. I send the black and white papers home for homework/review and only do the colored sheets in class. Hope that helps some.
grtlaks is offline   Reply With Quote

corkys

Old 09-03-2014, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

thanks, it does help!
corkys is offline   Reply With Quote

SunflowerSue

New to GO Math Help
Old 09-06-2014, 10:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am piloting Go Math for the first time this year. I am in a private Catholic School and every other grade is taking this year to pilot it before we take the plunge and adopt it.
I am in the 2nd week of using it and right now am very frustrated. The lessons are taking much much longer that I anticipated them taking and the students seem VERY unengaged.
I am putting the Student addition up on my smartboard, but am frustrated that I cannot model the manipulatives that the students are using. (or at least I have not figured out how to do this)
1. Does this get better?
2. Am I missing something? Is there a way to show the counters, or linking cubes on my smart board and model manipulating them so my students can follow along better?
Any advice, comments, or help would be very much appreciated!!!
SunflowerSue is offline   Reply With Quote

grtlaks

Old 09-07-2014, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Use your pens to draw or color in the 5/10 frames, and to trace the numbers. I draw squares for the cubes as well. Having the students use the manipulatives, especially right now, is more confusing. You might want to just let them color in the boxes or draw cubes. It does get better as you become more comfortable and they do.

grtlaks is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 09-07-2014, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I found that I liked using a document camera to show the student book on the Smartboard. When I just showed the student ebook pages and used the pens on the Smartboard, I had to close the ink before I could move to the next page. When I use the document camera, I can show the page and use the exact manipulatives that the students are using. When I want to go on to the next page, I just quickly flip the paper over. It is easy to go back to a previous page and review the work.

The first year we adopted Go Math, we struggled with the pacing and barely made it through the book. If you do a lesson a day, you will cover the material. You will find that you need to supplement the chapters on addition and subtraction. They introduce so many different ways to add and subtract that it confuses the students. They need to spend more time on those concepts. I think there might be twelve lessons for addition and only 6 for subtraction. You definitely need to practice in order for students to become fluent in addition and subtraction to five.

I have an hour time slot for math. We do the whole group lesson and then I work with individual students or small groups, while the rest of the students do math stations. I also have my students keep a math journal. I type up math vocabulary words and problems and print them out on labels to make it easier. I just give them a label so I don't have to print out pages and the students cut/paste the pages in the journal.

Our lessons have four student book pages. In our training, the representative told us we could just do the first two pages and if the student correctly did the checked items, we could skip the third and fourth pages. We do them because the third page goes deeper and the fourth page is problem solving.

Does anyone use a guided math format with Go Math? I am interested in doing that this year. I'd love to hear how you are doing it.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Iluvteaching

1st year of Go Math
Old 09-20-2014, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is my first year of GO Math and I love it so far. We have had 23 days of school so far and am getting ready to have the Chapter 2 math test on Tuesday.

For extra practice with manipulatives I use the itools on Think Central. I hope you all have access to that because there are amazing online videos for the kids that go with each lesson, animated Curious George practice and mega math games.

I do one lesson a day and I do math for about 60 minutes. For the workbook pages I have the kids and I do the first set together, the 2nd set alone and discuss and the homework/practice pages I have the kids put up folders and do it independently. I then go over these and check them when the kiddos are at special class to see who got it and who didn't. So far I don't have any students that are struggling. I also use other sites like abcya.com and ixl.com for more fun practice.

I also use the starfall.com calendar when it talks about using a calendar and have made my own flashcards for the vocab words and number cards.

So far I love this series for kindergarten but the older grade levels are having a more difficult time.

- Laurie
Iluvteaching is offline   Reply With Quote