Help

The VENT

grade level change for next year

>

treemonky

grade level change for next year
Old 03-23-2015, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

13 of 24 classroom teachers were moved for next year. I'm going from 3rd to kindergarten. I've never taught kindergarten. For 16 years, I've taught 3rd grade. I'm stunned speechless.

treemonky is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

This makes about as much sense
Old 03-23-2015, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

as telling an engineer that he has been transferred to reception. Why oh why does admin do such dumb things? It's as if you don't have a right to be successful in the grade you have chosen as the one where you are comfortable. Let's give teachers more reasons to fail. Not that I think you will fail, but jeez, add all that work to your summer to prepare and then how long will it take before you feel comfortable in K, if ever. I swear, if my P told me I have to teach K next year (or 1st or 5th), that's it. I quit.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

treemonky

Old 03-23-2015, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Two career kindergarten teachers were moved out of kindergarten and into 1st and 2nd grade.

I'm overwhelmed with the number of books I will have to store. I have a classroom library of over 3000 books. Most of them won't be going to kindergarten with me.

Kyteachmath

Wow
Old 03-23-2015, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't know what to say. Did the k teachers want to be moved? We have some primary teachers that want moved up, I hope I don't get moved down.

I hope you end up really enjoying k.
Kyteachmath is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 03-23-2015, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I will never understand that. Ever. Talk about setting your school up to fail.

I hope you will love K. They really can be fabulous little things!

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Your principal is foolish.

On the bright side, perhaps you can find a way to embrace the challenge and use what you're good at in third for kinder.

I'm now a die hard fifth person, though I was sure I would retire in fourth. You never know until you give it a chance.

I'm a bit of a picklehead, so I'd probably say or email something like this:

"Thanks for thinking of me for kinder! I can't wait to get started on all of the the training and workshop opportunities you have lined up so I can be fully prepared in the fall. When will you take my class so I can observe the kinder team?"
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

treemonky

Old 03-23-2015, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

WestCoast, that is such a good idea! Thank you!

Thank you, all, for the support and encouragement. No one, that I talked to, wanted to be moved. I didn't talk to 3 of the people moved but the other 10 are as shocked as I am. One kindergarten teacher couldn't stop crying.

There were 13 moves out of 24 classroom teachers. One K to 4K, One 2nd to K, one 3rd to K, one 1st to K, one PK to 1st, one 2nd to 1st, one K to 1st, one K to 2nd, two 4ths to 3rd, one 1st to 4th, one SpEd to 4th and one 4th to 5.

multigrade

Old 03-23-2015, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm sorry your P thought this was a good idea.
What gets into a P to make him/her think 'fruit basket upset' is a good idea?
It looks so completely incompetent!
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

lilyclaire

Old 03-23-2015, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I really hate to see this happen. It makes no sense if it is an involuntary move. What is their rationale for this? You spend years developing materials and learning curriculum for a particular grade and then this? I really feel for you. I've seen it happen and it causes so much grief.
lilyclaire is online now   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 03-23-2015, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've always said that if my P moves me to 3rd grade or higher that I will quit. Although the reality is that I wouldn't be able to afford to do that!
I will never understand why anyone thinks this type of thing is good for anyone.
It could turn out to be a good thing for you, though. A friend of mine taught intermediate for over 10 years, then moved to K. It was a rough first year, but now she LOVES our Kinder Babies
So sorry you have to deal with this!

ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 03-23-2015, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

What does your principal say is the reason for this disastrous decision-making? It flat-out seems like toying with peoples' lives.

I was moved 6 years ago (along with 3 other people in a year when many were pink-slipped). I was furious, but there was a reason.

If I were you, I'd arm myself with tons of research that shows 2 things:
1. The most important thing in any classroom is the teacher
2. It takes 5+ years for a teacher to be truly effective in a new grade
Then I'd make an appointment with the superintendent and explain why I thought this decision is putting the students' learning in jeopardy.

Good luck!
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

treemonky

Old 03-23-2015, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

No reason was given. We were told individually by phone call, post-it note or closed door meeting. The entire staffing list was sent out afterwards with no explanation.

kidsrterrific

All I can say is...
Old 03-23-2015, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

What a shock to the system, yours and theirs! If only the administrators that make these decisions taught in the classroom, or even yet did what they are expecting you to do!:
kidsrterrific is online now   Reply With Quote

desert flower

treemonkey
Old 03-23-2015, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm right there with you. Six out of twelve teachers (including me) were told around Valentine's Day that we were being moved to a different grade without talking to us, or getting any input. Because of this, two of the six that were going to be moved are leaving our school and going elsewhere in the district. It's not to bad for me. I've taught 3rd for 14 years, and was told I'm going to 4th, but would have preferred 5th. (The head person at our district was at the meeting when it was announced told us to suck it up and not complain.) I just spent a lot of cash on teacherspayteachers stuff this year that aligned with Common Core. I put in for it to be paid for next year, but they mumbled some excuse. Frustrating. I wish you well. I hope that you get a good team of teachers to work with!
desert flower is online now   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

I found out...
Old 03-23-2015, 09:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Our P did that last year....I can't even remember how many teachers were moved it was too many- a K to TK (for no reason) a K to 1st (for no reason) me to 5th (for no reason) etc.
Last year AFTER we were "reassured" that if she hadn't talked to us privately that we were "safe" and AFTER I paid for all of 3rd grade Common Core Stuff etc. the day before the last day of school I was being moved to 5th grade. then I started prepping for 5th and a month after that I found out we had a 4th opening so I jumped at it.

Now this year we are losing a 1st and gaining a 5th so it'll be interesting to see how many changes she makes this year....I am scared I will be one of them since my team hates me and one of my "team" members has been emailing the P "so have you figured out whose going to be on our team yet? Hint, hint"

Sigh the waiting game has just begun.
rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Dumb
Old 03-23-2015, 09:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

We had a P do that. Then he left, as the Union Rep and a person affected, I tried talking to the new P. She could care less and made life a living _____. Numerous teachers left after that year for various reasons but all boiled down to the P.

I don't understand, if it is working why rock the boat? Why make others miserable?

On the positive Kinder is a fun year. You see a lot of growth in the students. They are also very cute.
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 03-23-2015, 11:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Being involuntarily moved is my biggest fear in teaching. I've changed grades a few times - in fact, I've only ever taught the same grade for 2+ consecutive years once.

I hope you find out you love kindergarten.

Quote:
I've always said that if my P moves me to 3rd grade or higher that I will quit. Although the reality is that I wouldn't be able to afford to do that!
I've always said if I get moved to 3rd grade or lower that I will quit! And I really will.

If we get moved at the same time, ICrzyTeach, we can just trade schools.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

swalters

3 years ago
Old 03-24-2015, 02:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I was moved involuntarily from 3 rd to 5 th! I was devastated, felt like I was being punished, tried to get out of the school, went to the union, thought about taking the year off. I was told they wanted me out of my comfort zone! Makes sense right? Well, I worked two years in that school, I requested training and help if I needed it. I am now at a new school and was given the choice of 5 th or 3 rd and I chose. 5th. The one positive and it is a big one is I learned I could do it and be successful. If I had not been forced, I would never know how much I love and am good at 5 th grade😃😃😃
swalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Never get comfortable
Old 03-24-2015, 02:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

My P is a firm believer in never letting anyone get comfortable. She rarely leaves anyone on the same grade level for more than two years. Our staff is very unstable and uncertain because of this. In the past five years I've taught 5th, 3rd, 3/4 combo, 1st and Library.
Tiamat is online now   Reply With Quote

fromkto3

I'm really sorry this is the case for you
Old 03-24-2015, 04:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

especially since you weren't expecting/wanting a change. However, I always thought I would ONLY teach kindergarten, after 7 years was moved to 3rd and LOVED it. Then I thought, "3rd is it, no higher than 3rd..."moved to 4th and happy as a clam. Thought, "I'll die in 4th..."moved to 4th/5th split. My point is, though it was not a very nice thing for your admin to do, maybe you'll be surprised and enjoy the change. Fingers crossed for you!
fromkto3 is offline   Reply With Quote

smannes

Old 03-24-2015, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I used to work at a school with the principal did this often. One year, she had a conversation with me about moving me to 1st (from 4th). I was adamant that there was no way I could do 1st. I student taught in kindergarten and I did a long term stint in first and knew those grades were not for me. I gave her valid reasons for me not moving lower than 3rd. Told her that if she moved me to one of those lower grades, I'd most likely leave. She listened and said she couldn't promise anything but wanted to hear my thoughts. That year, it was only me and 2 others that were NOT moved. Later, she had a conversation with me and told me she appreciated me giving reasons and ultimately knew that the grade I was in was best for the students (I also had really good test scores when the school as the whole did not.). So, it worked in my favor I've since switched schools and am in 3rd grade and am not happy. I've been here for a couple of years and know that this is too low for me. I'm looking to get out of 3rd grade and out of teaching :/
smannes is offline   Reply With Quote

ReeseTeacher

Old 03-24-2015, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I could see a K teacher moving to 1st or 2nd, or a 3rd grade moving to 2nd or 4th. But that is such a big jump! I truly believe that some teachers are most effective in certain grade levels. I think admin should take that in consideration and only transfer people if they want to be or under an extreme circumstance.

My school transfers teachers without asking first. It's "move to __grade or leave". Most of them end up leaving.
ReeseTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

New philosophy
Old 03-24-2015, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

There are more principals than ever who are shuffling teachers around different grade levels. It's part of the training paid for and provided by the Eli Broad Foundation to administrators in many districts. Their philosophy is that teachers should not be allowed to become too "comfortable" at any one task or grade level. All it takes is one super rich billionaire who decides he will reshape public education because he knows best. The billionaire boys club (including Bill Gates and the Walton Foundation) all want to remake public schools into what THEY think is best. And THEY think schools should follow a corporate model. Hence the periodic shake ups. We who are actually teachers are left paying the price for their arrogant foolishness.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

been there and still bear the scars
Old 03-24-2015, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

This happened last year at my school with 14 teachers being involuntarily moved to other grade levels. I am now in 3rd (with all of my team new to third) after 12 years in 5th. One teacher was in 4th grade for 40 years, her entire career, and will finish in 2nd.

Climate and morale at our building is at an all-time low. When I think of the money I have spent this year to have appropriate materials...I'm sick.

Now, we are wondering if he is going to do it again...I cannot face another move. Having a team of newbies has been interesting, NOT!!! I was not moved with any of my own team members, so new team, new grade level, new room...

End result...what used to be a passion has been turned into a job...I feel like a chess piece.
Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 03-24-2015, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I'm sorry...I just don't understand this!!!! I have taught at the same grade level for many years and I only see the benefits. I have built up a large amount of resources, I know the standards inside and out, I understand the behavior and development of a child at my grade level. This truly helps children!!! When I first started this grade level, it took me about three years to even become comfortable. We should be doing what is good for kids....and I feel that teachers who passionately enjoy their grade level, have spent large amounts of their own money on resources, and do a good job should be able to stay in the grade level they love!
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 03-24-2015, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I don't understand why principals think this is a good idea. I believe that each teacher is meant for and good at a certain grade level. I could never go above 4th and many of our upper grade teachers could never go below 4th. It is very difficult learning a new curriculum and age level. You also have to get new resources for your grade level. I am at the age now that if it is not provided for me, I am not getting it. It makes me sick to think of all of the money I would have for retirement if I did not buy school supplies.
I wish you luck and maybe your principal will change his/her mind.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tch2Empower

Sorry
Old 03-25-2015, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I'm sorry to hear this is happening. I once knew a principal who would purposely move teachers she didn't care for into grades that she knew they wouldn't want to teach. All this in hopes of them choosing to transfer to another school so she wouldn't have to deal with them. Sad but true.
Tch2Empower is offline   Reply With Quote