Upcoming 3rd to 4th graders-Must Knows... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Fourth Grade

Upcoming 3rd to 4th graders-Must Knows...

>

eliza4one

Upcoming 3rd to 4th graders-Must Knows...
Old 03-24-2015, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a pretty low class this year. 12 came to me below grade level in reading, writing, and math. 6 came to me never having been required to write, copy from the board, do a written response, fill out a graphic organizer, etc.

Due to having 30 kids and some unmedicated ADHD kids/behavior issues, I've taught "low/medium" this year (first time ever) instead of "medium/high".

We are heading back from spring break on Monday. I'm going to hit the ball rolling. I've pulled my non writers/non copy from the board kids up to the point where I can do some hard-core whole group teaching/modelling at a fairly quick pace. I am actually looking forward to it.

So...4th grade teachers...can you tell me what you like to see upcoming 3rd graders come to you being solid in?

I'm especially interested in writing. Written responses, conventions, math explanations, paragraphs, etc. Pretty much everything written...across all content areas.

Math: I know multiplication and division facts are huge. We are making progress with those.

Anything else, math wise?

I would really, really appreciate any guidance! I could ask our 4th grade teachers, but they are not the most approachable group of people!

TIA~~~!!!

eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

Century46

incoming 4th graders
Old 03-25-2015, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am teaching 3rd for the first time this year...but have spent the last 12 years as a 4/5 looping teacher, and here is what my "dream incoming student" would already be able to do:

Write a complete paragraph, complete with topic sentence and supporting details with proper grammar and punctuation. I also don't want to spend time with parts of speech (and synonyms, homophones, ect.) and am grateful when they already have these pieces.

But more importantly, they need to be able to provide evidence of their thinking/or answers from the text. "According to the article, character, ect..." Prove it...give examples.

But, really, I would rather have kids be able to do things like write for 20-30 minutes (stamina), persevere at problem solving, read as close to grade level as possible, and have a "can do" attitude and try. Being able to follow oral and written directions is also a dream...but this seems like pie in the sky...always an issue. lol

Most of the time, if they THINK they can do it...they will be able to, or at least be willing to learn how.

But really, you have to know that you moved them from where they were, and the next teacher will do the same...that is the gig.
Century46 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 03-29-2015, 07:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks, Century46! Very helpful. I appreciate your post very much.
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote