First Grade

tips for long term sub intro to parents letter

>

twin2

tips for long term sub intro to parents letter
Old 04-24-2016, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What should I include in this letter? Some background:

I will be in for a first grade teacher the last few weeks of school while she is out on leave
I have worked a the school for years as a para, left to do my student teaching, now sub
I was born and raised here, raised my children here
Earned my degree recently through a far away online college.
Student taught in the county in another first grade class last semester
There may be parents in the class that know me, or at least have seen me at the school in the past
I will join the first grade team this week during planning so that I can become familiar with their lessons and have been visiting the classroom every now and then to get to know the students and their routines

I don't want to tell the parents too much information so that they would question whether I am qualified. I don't want to be the blame if little Johnny doesn't get straight A's for the final marking period. They should trust administration's choice for their sub. I want to make them comfortable with me and it is hard for me to sound enthusiastic, even though I am very excited to end the school year as their long term sub. Its dry and I am really just getting my thoughts together, but here is what I have so far:

Dear Parents,

My name is _______, and I will be the long term substitute in for Mrs. _______ while she is on maternity leave.

I would like to tell you a little about myself. I was born and raised in (the same town), and my husband and I have raised our children here as well. I have worked a number of years at (same elementary school) as a paraprofessional and substitute teacher. I have a B.S. in Elementary Education from (online university from another state) University. This past fall, I was a student teacher in a first grade class at (a different school in our county) Elementary.

I am excited that I will be working in your childís class while Mrs. _____ is out on leave. I look forward to getting to know your child. I will be working closely with Mrs. _____ and the rest of the first grade team to ensure that learning will continue without interruption during Mrs. _____ís absence.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me through my email: _____@___.org. I check my email daily, and will respond as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Mrs. __________

Thanks - I appreciate any tips you can give.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 04-24-2016, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think its an excellent letter! If you were subbing for my child's teacher I would be happy to receive a letter like that and feel confident in who was teaching my child. Most subs would never take the time to do something like that. Enjoy your time in first grade!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 04-24-2016, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you Nancy.

Penguin82

Letter
Old 04-24-2016, 09:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think it sounds perfect!
Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

letter
Old 04-25-2016, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Your letter is lovely. At my school a letter would have been sent home by administration in this kind of situation. Are you sure that hasn't been done, or that the teacher hasn't sent something home? I would hate for you to sound redundant.

readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 04-25-2016, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My placement was just approved this past week, and doesn't start for a few more weeks. I am sure administration will send a letter home. I haven't talked to the teacher I will be working with about my letter home. I wanted to get my thoughts together before we met this week. Then the plan is to ask for her input. Somehow though, I imagine I need to make parent contact. If not, at least I can say I was prepared anyway.

Irish

Perfect
Old 04-27-2016, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The parents will be pleased when they read this letter. If the teacher emails the parents perhaps it could go home that way as well as a hard copy.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 05-13-2016, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Your letter looks perfect! Good luck and enjoy your time in 1st grade.
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Albertan

Old 09-14-2019, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I think that even if admin sends a note home, to inform parents of a change in teachers, a personal note would be appreciated.
Albertan is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 09-14-2019, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Personally, I would take out the sentence about student teaching. Other than that, I think it is great.

My reasoning - no good can come from announcing that you are a new teacher. Sounds like you have some experience without that sentence. At my school that would be a trigger for every parent to nitpick everything you do. Leaving your actual classroom teacher (lack of) experience out gives less opportunity for that kind of speculation.

Go get 'em!

P.S. Is this for a situation coming up in April - May/June? And you are already doing a letter for that time? Wow!

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Lts
Old 09-14-2019, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I agree with kahluablast about maybe not mentioning the recent student teaching.

I think it's great that you're prepping the letter early, though! You never know what could happen with a pregnancy, and the other teacher may end up having to go out at any time.

Another great thing to do is to give the kids some info directly (the stuff they're interested in, of course - like your pets' names and favorite color ) - maybe one of those "All About Me" posters we're always making them do. You could have Mrs. ___ hang it up in their classroom after they're told that you'll be taking over soon.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 09-14-2019, 02:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think that sounds great.
I don't see why parents would have a problem because you are definitely qualified - you have a degree in education!

I agree with leaving out the student teaching bit, but I'd also leave out working as a sub and para. Just say you've worked a number of years at the school and you're excited to sub for that teacher. And put your education info right before it
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote