The Job Search

What would you do?

>

Hopeful_2

Hopeful_2

What would you do?
Old 03-07-2018, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I知 currently teaching at one district right now. It痴 a great district and the people I work with are amazing. It痴 a small district and everyone痴 so supportive. The downside is the commute. This is why I知 hoping to get a job near my home.

I do plan on letting my district that I知 at right now know I知 not coming back. At the same time, I知 not guaranteed a job with this other district. My question is; what would you do in my situation? Did you ever leave a job while not having another in hand? I need advice and any would be appreciated.

NerdTeach

Old 03-08-2018, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did leave a job while I didn't have another lined up. And while I was happy having a shorter commute, I didn't get to have my choosing of job openings. I had to take whatever became available, and it's been hard to find anything else.

I would suggest keeping your current job while you hunt for another, unless the commute is absolutely unbearable. Then, if you find another job closer to home, you can break contract with your current school. Only do this once your new contract is signed and in the books, though.
NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-08-2018, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If I needed the income, I would keep the job until I found another one. If I was 100 percent sure that I wouldn't go back even if I didn't find a job, then I would tell them I wasn't returning. If there is a chance of staying, don't say you won't be back.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

How long is the commute?
Old 03-08-2018, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Long is a relative term. I have a longish commute (30-60 minutes depending on traffic) and its always been worth it.

I would keep it until I had something better. But be careful. You don't always know how good you have it until you don't anymore.

Best of luck to you!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Hopeful_2

Hopeful_2

Why I知 deciding to leave...
Old 03-08-2018, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I heard the district near my home will be hiring many teachers. This makes me hopeful. I知 also thinking that I need to speak with them directly too.

Teacherbee_4

Me personally...
Old 04-01-2018, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I wouldn't say anything until you are closer to having a job. I would apply for jobs, and if you get contacted for an interview, you could talk to your principal and explain that you LOVE your current job, and hate to leave it, but the commute is hard and you are interviewing for a position with a shorter commute. You could explain that regardless of what happens, you will be happy because you still LOVE your current school and current position, but are also looking forward to an opportunity of a shorter/easier commute.

A few years ago, I interviewed for a different position in a different district. It was a gifted and talented teacher, and in the district I was in, I was a classroom teacher. I'll be honest, I really wasn't happy in that current district, but I of course didn't say that to my then principal. I just explained that I loved my job and my school, but was also looking for different opportunities. I had done a lot of work GT students at that school as a classroom teacher, so this was a natural stepping stone for advancing my career. I explained that I loved my school and was looking forward to trying new things that next year, but at the same time, was looking forward to the opportunity to teach GT students in a purely GT setting and coaching teachers who have GT students (it was a dual position). I explained that no matter what happened, I'd be happy. Granted, that was a lie, but it helped explain things in a professional way in case she got a reference call and in case I didn't get the position. When I explained this to her, she was super happy for me. She was sad I may be leaving, but thought the position would be a perfect fit for me and was happy I could potentially have that opportunity.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 04-10-2018, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you depend on your income or benefits, do not leave the job until you have secured another.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote