Help

Classroom Management

Behavior management

>

twin2

Behavior management
Old 10-20-2018, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I go in and out of various elementary classrooms each day to work with groups or provide support. I am at a different school than in the past.and I am trying to understand the behavior management norms of that building. This school does not use the clip charts, which makes me happy, and expectations to deal with issues in the class are to be positive. Ok, so we don't lecture anymore, got that a long time ago. Now we don't praise them unless what they've done is a true accomplishment. We don't give pep talks or tell students we care to try to encourage them to behave. I keep hearing what we don't do, but nobody can seem to tell me what we are to do. Specifically, fifth grade students openly defy me. I was supposed to help a student remain on task to complete a short writing assignment about a short narrative they read. We we're at the small groups table, yet he talked to students all around him. He smiled and refused to even try to have the most basic communication about what he needed to do. He did absolutely nothing. When the bell rang, I just got up and left. To make matters worse, he isn't the only one. At least he remained in his seat. Another student told me he wasn't doing his work, went to the carpet and rolled around on the floor, to which I ignored. Meanwhile their teacher had a reading groups she worked with. When the bell rang, I just left. There are no apparent consequences other than failure and it is clear the kids are running that class. I don't want this coming back on me. I don't know these kids enough to care, but it is a sad situation and I don't want to see these kids continue like this, but I don't know how to make a difference.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

don't give up
Old 10-20-2018, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Keep on. Every time you see a student not doing the right thing, provide options, "Harry, you can't do that because you're not being safe. So either you use that seat and do the work for 20 minutes or you're not going to get that gold star" or "Harry, you have five minutes of that left and then you can do the work for Spelling first and then Math. If you like, we can do work in the library or in the hall outside. Being unsafe is not an option. So would you like to use a pencil or a pen?". Consider the message that you're sending each time you do or do not do anything.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Fenwick

Old 10-20-2018, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You stated the problem accurately - "I go in and out of various elementary classrooms...". Students don't know you. You have not had the first days/weeks to establish rules and procedures like the regular teacher. You have perhaps three seconds. In order to find out what you will allow students test. It's the same situation a substitute experiences. Most students will assume you are an authority (think nice kids) to reckon with just because you are an adult. But not all. The others need evidence that you are, indeed, a teacher and someone to take seriously.

Sounds like there needs to be some real communication between you, teachers you help and administration. In particular, there should be information regarding certain students that should be removed from the room to a private setting (like the one who was being reinforced by classmates). Also, most of the students you are likely working with do not have academic issues. They have behavior issues. Fix the behavior and academics will take care of itself. That is to say, you don't fix defiance and/or brat behavior by helping with math or reading. Consider collaborating with a primary teacher - K will work - to allow you to use their room to tutor a fifth grader. Idea is to separate student by as many grade levels as possible - a fish out of water. Message to student is, "You can do your work in your own classroom among peers or you can do it in a kindergarten class. Either way it will get done." No guarantee this will work, but I have seen it turn around students after one session.
Fenwick is offline   Reply With Quote