Help

The VENT

A tipping vent

>

happykids

A tipping vent
Old 10-20-2018, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We've been talking about tipping on the Teachers Lounge.

Here is my vent:

The "ipad thingy" where you run your card and then they ask if you want to tip! Some of the places they ask are not appropriate and then the choices they give you make you feel cheap if you don't tip.

I got a coffee and some treats the other day...about $6. I would have thrown a dollar in the tip jar. But before I could do that, I pay with my card and my choices are 15%, 20%, 25% or "no tip." The barrista didn't do anything other than pick up two treats, and push the coffee canister top down. GRRRRR.

I always feel stuck.

happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-20-2018, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't hesitate and I don't feel bad about it. No tip.

Sometimes I just want to push tip jars off the counter. What the heck did you do for the tip? Your job. Oh!
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

no tip
Old 10-20-2018, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

using card, but if you feel like leaving some coins on the counter, that's what I would do.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 10-20-2018, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Exactly what kahluablast said. I donít feel one iota of guilt, either.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Tips
Old 10-20-2018, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't put money in tip jars and have zero guilt about it.

travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

kitekrazy

Old 10-20-2018, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Tipping is for jobs that pay less than minimum wage. I probably wouldn't patronize that place. Usually places will charge you for a tip if it is a large group that had reservations.

Very interesting that those who work in industries know for tipping, the workers prefer that over having a higher wage.

Tipping has become an entitlement. We bought a patio door from Home Depot and they had a contractor install it. He brought up tipping. Ugh!

I worked in a service industry where we were not allowed to accept tips. Some people during the holidays would stuff a dollar in your pocket despite the policy. It was no big deal.

I still miss those holiday tips from being a paper boy. I'd rack up $50 and that was a lot of money to a kid in the 70's. It still is.

Tipping has become another entitlement. People receiving those tips often complain. If you can't afford to tip at a restaurant stay home.
kitekrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Well,
Old 10-20-2018, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

if it helps, do the math. The 15% option is only 90 cents so it is equivalent to the buck you would have put in the jar...

When it is me, I never feel forced to tip. I would either opt out and then choose to give up the buck or not.

Many times, even in nice restaurants, we will pay with a card and tip with cash only. It helps the waitress in the end.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

kitekrazy

Old 10-20-2018, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I also prefer to make my own coffee. Pretty interesting what people pay for a cup these days. Who knew this would be a thriving business?

Summerwillcom

I dislike them too...
Old 10-20-2018, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It is funny how childhood impacts me on this. We were raised w/ a list of things you never want to be. ( Good old fashioned...guilt! lol) One of them was cheap. We were raised to tip maids, bus people, porters, waitresses, and more at least 20%.
The reasoning was that they very worked hard and were paid very low wages. ( They didn't have food stamps back then, in my memory anyways.)
That feeling is still with me although I have found ways around it at times...

I was shocked the 1st time I saw that type of credit card reader because it was at a place I never would have thought to tip despite my childhood. I did not even see a place to hit for "no tip." I hit 15 % cus I was taken off guard by it. It is a place I like to go a couple of times a month, but see no reason why you should tip in the situation. All the person does is hand you something.
Now when I go there, I always pay in cash. I wish I had the guts to put a " tip jar" out for parent teacher conferences..... The looks on faces would be priceless. We work hard and with inflation our pay is not keeping up.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

kitekrazy

Old 10-20-2018, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Unfortunately they would think the tip jar meant giving you ideas on how to run things instead of cash.

kahluablast

Old 10-20-2018, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think I posted on her earlier this year about a restaurant I went to where there are the ipad kiosks as you enter the restaurant. You place your order, pay, get your own drink, and then sit down. Of course, before I have done anything but enter in my own order, you get prompted for the amount you want to tip while paying. Well, I place my own order. I process my payment. I get my own drinks. What the heck am I tipping for?

Insane.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 10-20-2018, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have worked as a waitress and/or bartender since I was a teenager. Tips put me through college and helped me raise my kids. The ONLY people I tip are waitresses, bartenders, the guy who vacuums my car at the car wash, my hairstylist and manicurist. I think tips are for GREAT, PERSONAL service! Not automatic entitlements.

Last edited by apple annie; 10-20-2018 at 11:09 AM..
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

kitekrazy

Old 10-20-2018, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

"I think I posted on her earlier this year about a restaurant I went to where there are the ipad kiosks as you enter the restaurant. You place your order, pay, get your own drink, and then sit down. Of course, before I have done anything but enter in my own order, you get prompted for the amount you want to tip while paying. Well, I place my own order. I process my payment. I get my own drinks. What the heck am I tipping for?

Insane."

Wow! Am I the only one who doesn't like the lack of human intervention? I don't like scanning my own stuff at the grocery store. The attendants usually have to work harder. I still prefer cashiers.

GraceKrispy

Old 10-20-2018, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have vented about tips before. That is one example of when it drives me nuts. I often do tip on those because I feel bad not doing it. But it's only a dollar or so. And some people have seemed to have an attitude about that (like I'm cheap....). I'm trying to get better at just saying "no tip" on there. But then I'm always a little afraid they'll take it out on my food It's ridiculous I feel that way!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 10-21-2018, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
I wish I had the guts to put a " tip jar" out for parent teacher conferences..... The looks on faces would be priceless. We work hard and with inflation our pay is not keeping up.
We are in a 'service industry' aren't we? At least it feels like we are treated that way by many parents, kids, and general public.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

all 41
Old 10-21-2018, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

why, yes, we are. I would like to make my tip jar requesting nothing less than 100 dollar bills.
I'd prefer a credit card machine that allows me to ask for 15% of the time and energy I have put into these kids.
Also, I may go hit up some parents of kids I had in the past.
Those naughty kid's parents especially should tip at least 25% for my patience, time documenting, and for just making my life harder. Is there anyway to do that w/out looking greedy? Our P would have a cow!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Eccj

Tip jar!
Old 10-21-2018, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We do need a tip jar at conferences! Haha. I love it!
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote