Help

The VENT

Feeling Frustrated

>

MissESL

Feeling Frustrated
Old 10-23-2018, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After a particular trying day, Iím feeling frustrated.

Today, an entire class told me they hate me, they hate my class, I am boring, my lessons suck, and - direct quote - ďbruh, weíre bad cuz we hate this class.Ē AND ďthis is too much work.Ē We are doing poetry and a Cinquain was too much to ask for, apparently.

Annnnd thatís where 30% of my evaluation comes from.

Iím not hurt by it, not even particularly upset, but Iím frustrated. Hopefully, tomorrow will be better.

MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 10-23-2018, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That is tough to hear.

Sucks that so much attention is given to children. I mean, when I was growing up, I loved school, but I bet I would have been happy to join kids who were saying school was bad, class is boring... I had several teachers I did not especially like. Given the opportunity, I might have been happy to tell themI hated them and the class. Fortuneatly for my teachers and I, I didn't have those choices. I worked hard and was respectful because that was the expectation. We learned what we were told to learn, however we were told to do it.

End of story.

Inmates run the asylum. Of course, kids would rather play games than work hard on pencil and paper. Duh. I would, too, but I do what needs to be done in ways that work. And it isn't always fun.

Hope tomorrow is better for you.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

by their own admission
Old 10-23-2018, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Middle schoolers think this way. They will say anything and everything to get your goad on. I bet that this student said this in front of people for shock value too. Don't give them the satisfaction.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 10-24-2018, 01:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
Middle schoolers think this way. They will say anything and everything to get your goad on. I bet that this student said this in front of people for shock value too. Don't give them the satisfaction.
Yep. I continue to work on this. And the "boring" part too. They just don't want to work. At all.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

allier

Learning to be bored.....
Old 10-24-2018, 03:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Tell them learning to stay with something is a valuable life lesson. They are lucky to have you. When my students say something is boring, I tell them it's good to experience boring -- lets you know when you are excited. Not every learning activity can be packed with fun-filled wonder! You or I would never leave school if every lesson was super fun, dynamic, etc.... If YOU think it's boring, then you can change, but if you are striving to help and meet their needs, then they need to learn the art of patience!!!

allier is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Middle School
Old 10-24-2018, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Haha, thatís exactly what I say!

I donít think my lessons are boring, in general. I go out of my way to make them engaging, but this particular class is full of kids who donít particularly care and make little to no effort. Itís a small group of only 6, all of whom are ELL and half of whom also have an IEP. Life is hard, school is torture, and I do get it. But I still have a job to do, and they have a job to do, too. I have to hold them accountable, because I am accountable for them. Plus, I donít think that encouraging learned helplessness or entertaining the attitude that if they donít want to, they donít have to is healthy or in their best interest.

Thank you for our encouraging words and empathy. I greatly appreciate it!!
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

ellenroo

Old 10-24-2018, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If it makes you feel any better a lot of students say my class is boring. I'm art. We have fun. They just want to try to hurt teachers for some reason. I have other students tell me my class is fantastic because they get to do so much.
ellenroo is offline   Reply With Quote
invoted4

invoted4

boring
Old 10-25-2018, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Today's students feel life is all about being entertained. Much of it is due to the technology at their fingertips where they can move on quickly if something doesn't grab them immediately.

Kinderkr4zy

Old 10-25-2018, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I had a student last year who always said everything was we did was boring...everything except free
Play.

He started to get to me after a while even though I knew it was bull (we built trap and mazes and coded robots to go through them, we created lemonade stands businesses and sold products to the upper graders during their lunch recess-lemonade stand to make those most money wins, we built self sustaining closed ecosystems with live plants and animals I am 100% sure that we did fun things).

Some kids just have no appreciation and they over generalize as well- donít mind them
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote