Help

BusyBoard

Teacher charged with ...

>

TAOEP

Teacher charged with ...
Old 10-24-2018, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A teacher was charged this week for not reporting sexual abuse of a student. As mandated reporters, we MUST file reports of suspected abuse or neglect. It's not optional. We can't assume that someone else will report it. It can't be delegated. We have the responsibility of reporting ourselves--every time. http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...024-story.html

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 10-24-2018, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wish more teachers/Admin would come forth and report abuse; if not, be proscuted.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

lack of awareness
Old 10-24-2018, 09:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can see the teacher pleading innocence or proving her lack of knowledge/awareness of the abuse. Or how can they prove that this adult is aware?

As strange as this might sound, I don't think that my radar can pickup signs of neglect or abuse given any circumstance. Bruises, burnt marks, open wounds, or student behaviour may be easy to see and once something raises suspicion, reporting to police is mandatory.

I wonder how this adult failed to notice and she might not be the only one. Is she being used a scapegoat?
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 10-25-2018, 01:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have training every year on different types of abuse and mandated reporting laws.

Our protocol is to inform the Principal and the principal makes the call to DHHS. I followed protocol once and informed the Principal and she refused to report. Her reply was "Do you want THAT parent breathing down your back!" I broke protocol and reported myself.

This is a huge thing right on in my state as 2 children died as a result of lack of action in abuse allegations.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-25-2018, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This confuses me:

Quote:
In the lawsuit, the mother claims she told district officials multiple times about Avendano’s behavior, but they failed to contact a state agency to investigate.The woman said her daughter told her about Avendano’s behavior, according to the lawsuit. The mother requested a meeting with Garza in September 2014.

Sounds like the teacher is being scapegoated. I'm not saying she failed to report, but the district was notified by the mother?

Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 10-25-2018, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Why didn’t the mother call and report? If she knew about it, she could have called the police and filed a complaint. Yes, the teacher should have reported but if I were a parent and my child was being sexually abused I wouldn’t be going to a teacher I’d be calling 911. Something’s hinkey.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 10-25-2018, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would think maybe the mom didn't report it because at first she believed the principal. Many people think children tell tales and if you don't clearly understand your rights you may fear going to the police. It's possible mom trusted the principal or feared repercussions for going to the police. Like, she thought they police wouldn't believe her either and it would ruin her daughter's education.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

LastMinute123

Old 10-27-2018, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What Zia posted would be reporting heresay. You can report that somebody said something about someone, but it usually gets screened out. It has to be the person that noticed, not the person they told. Also, if the mom reported to school officials "several times" with no result, why didn't she call the police or DSS? That doesn't make sense.
LastMinute123 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Someone contacted police
Old 10-27-2018, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We don't have all the details, but clearly someone contacted police--perhaps the parent, perhaps the principal, article doesn't say. But charges were filed against the alleged perpetrator. He was arrested.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote