Help

The VENT

Proper clothing.

>

MissAgnes

Proper clothing.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I live in a very cold climate. We had our first snowfall on Monday (which is actually quite late for a first snowfall for us). I teach 4th grade. I have spoken to the students about wearing proper clothing for the weather. Despite this, I have several students who insist on coming to school in shorts and short sleeve shirts. It seems to be a cultural thing (all Polynesian kids), and I see adults wearing shorts year around as well.
I'm not sure what else to do or say. I've spoken to parents, but they just brush me off.

MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Clothing
Old 10-31-2018, 09:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not your circus. This is definitely a family issue, not a school issue. Let it be.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Not cultural
Old 10-31-2018, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I live in the midwest- small town, mainly rural. We are probably 97% white dominate with little rednecks who have rarely traveled out of the area.

MOST of the boys wear shorts year round. We get all kinds of weather here. Some claim to not even own "pants" or jeans. Some will talk of sweats, wind pants or other sporty apparel but we rarely see it.

Makes me glad I had girls.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 10-31-2018, 09:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree that’s a parental responsibility. My DH is an islander and he wears flip flops year round. (no snow but it gets pretty cold here)
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-31-2018, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Nothing you should do or say. They are old enough to suffer the consequences, and it's a parental issue anyway.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-31-2018, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with the others- this is the family responsibility and not yours. 4th grade is plenty old enough to dress themselves and just deal with being cold.

I can't really judge because I was like this for a long time . I'd wear jeans, but I'd often wear flip flops and short sleeves in the winter. I just strongly preferred the look of more summery/springy clothes. In the winter I'm inside 95% of the time, where the temperature is regulated anyway, so it doesn't matter what you wear. As far as coats, not really worth it to me to put one on for the one minute walk from the car to the building. Even as an adult, I still won't wear a coat if I'm going somewhere where I'm going to have to carry it around inside- not worth the hassle to avoid one minute of being cold!

I actually bought the first coat I'd had in awhile my first year of teaching because of recess duty . And I started wearing more sweaters and things like that because I didn't want other teachers judging me. And now I'm really into boots. Boots weren't really a "thing" when I was in MS/HS.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Veggirl

Michigan here..
Old 10-31-2018, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have 4 boys of my own, one with some sensory issues. He will wear shorts all winter long because he hates the feel of jeans. If we play outside at home he does wear snow pants. Now when he was in elementary and had recess I made him wear jeans (big fight in the a.m.). Now no recess in the middle school so I don't bother with the fight.
Veggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

shorts
Old 10-31-2018, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My daughter wears shorts year round....she just hates pants. My dh is the same way.....shorts even in the snow.
It's not a cultural thing they just both find pants to be very uncomfortable...also the school building is not cold, so she only feels the cold going from the bus to the building.

I agree with the others...just let it go.
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

learn their lesson
Old 10-31-2018, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

One day, they'll learn their lesson to do layers. It's best to pile more on especially in the cold seasons. Not that this should ever happen to anyone but if anyone should get stuck outside unprepared for the weather like waiting on a bus and the weather changes, they'll see. Hypothermia is NOT fun.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Gifted

Old 10-31-2018, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Oddly enough, we have the opposite problem here in Florida. Kids wear oversized hoodies and fur-lined boots when it's still oppressively hot, then complain about being too warm.

Gifted is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

They do that too.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Other students wear their coats all day long, even during PE, and complain about being hot.

Snicklesnack

Clothing
Old 10-31-2018, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have always felt strongly that this is the family’s responsibility. My children both tended to be very “hot” and preferred short sleeves year round, and no jacket until it was below 50 degrees. Their elementary school had a rule that the students could not go out for recess without a jacket below 60 degrees. For mine, this meant they really couldn’t run around and play because they got hot and overheated. I would have preferred that they would go out without jackets and be able to run and get some exercise. It was a rule that I protested frequently, but got nowhere with.
Snicklesnack is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 10-31-2018, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
I'm not sure what else to do or say. I've spoken to parents, but they just brush me off.

There you go. There's nothing more to do or say.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-31-2018, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

“Appropriate” is very subjective when it comes to dressing for the weather.

I’ve always been hot natured. I wear short sleeves and sleeveless shirts year round. When most people are wearing coats, I’ll throw on a cardigan. When others are wearing heavy coats, I’ll put on a jacket.

It’s between 65-70° in my classroom. I’d roast in heavy sweaters or thick pants. I’m fine outside in weather others consider cold.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
MS STACEY

MS STACEY

proper clothing
Old 10-31-2018, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

In my opinion, it is neither the teacher or school's business what the students wear to school as long as it is not breaking any existing rules that the school has. I understand that every teacher cares and wants the best for their students but their parents allow them to leave home dressed that way without having a problem so just let them be. It is in every teacher's best interest to have healthy students. However, every action has consequences. I'd say let the weather do what it has to do.

choppie70

Old 10-31-2018, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I don't think it is cultural. I live in Maine and many of the boys in our school will wear shorts all winter - even when it is below zero out!

We can't do much about it, just let parents know that staying in because they are cold is not an option.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

PollyCarp

Old 10-31-2018, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Last year I had a rule with my second graders (nearly all of whom brought coats), if it's below 50 F, you must wear your jacket outside. If you overheat, you can hang it on the fence rail (which is allowed at our school). They knew the temperature because that's when I bring out my heavy coat, so they knew if my heavy coat was on my chair, they had to wear jackets.

It worked because they could self-regulate easily but I didn't have kids shivering with cold either.

Now working on an accountability system for missing jackets—a schoolwide problem!
PollyCarp is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

jackets
Old 11-01-2018, 02:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

When I taught 4th and the weather got cold, I made sure parents and kids knew we did recess outside unless the principal declared it too cold. We all went outside. If they came to school with a jacket, they had to bring it outside but I didn't force them wearing it. They brought it outside so the kid who decides 5 min into recess he was cold wouldn't have to ask to go back in (which we didn't allow). Sure, some kids wore shorts most of the year, but that was their choice.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Outdoor recess to -10F
Old 11-01-2018, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

We have outdoor recess unless the temperature drops to less than -10F (yes, you read that right). So it's very important students have the proper clothing. It's a safety issue - there's a real threat of frostbite at those temperatures.

Zia

Old 11-01-2018, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Suffering is a great teacher. I mean, you've talked to the students, you've talked to their parents...there really isn't anything more you can do. I think once it starts getting truly, dangerously cold, they will dress for it.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 11-01-2018, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Yeah, not cultural. I have many students who wear shorts and short sleeves all year long, and they are not Polynesian. If the kids are comfortable that way, then I'm comfortable with it, too.

If I felt there was actual neglect, like the student had a lack of proper clothing and was suffering from the cold, then of course I'd report it as neglect. I have never had that happen, though. In all cases I've seen, the kids just enjoy wearing shorts and short sleeves and are dressing themselves to their own personal comfort level. They insist they feel just fine, and I have no reason not to believe them.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Rkhnd

Lottalove
Old 11-02-2018, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

"We are probably 97% white dominate with little rednecks#"

This phrase really bothers me. There must be a more appropriate way to describe your students.
Rkhnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

@MissAgnes
Old 11-02-2018, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

You would think so, wouldn't you?

It was a turn of phrase to indicate that we are totally white bread here. We have very little diversity. Even our (5-7) students of color are mixed race with white being the other race involved. Yes, that is 5-7 students PK-12th

The townspeople are primarily Christian or nonpracticing but identify as Christian because that's what Grandma and Grandpa were.

There are kids here who have never eaten in a sit down restaurant. Kids who have never traveled on vacation or even seen a movie in the theater.

Here they do not feel redneck is a derogatory term. It is actually a compliment to most of them.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Lottalove
Old 11-02-2018, 08:05 AM
This message has been deleted by Lottalove.