Teachers' Lounge

Annoyed

>

Djj578

Djj578

Annoyed
Old 11-04-2018, 08:55 PM

Iím kind of annoyed by DH tonight.

He doesnít have much to do with his family. They hardly every text/call/visit. Itís extremely odd to me since my family is super close.

Sometimes he doesnít care. Iíll even suggest calling and heíll say he is okay with not talking to them since they donít seem to want to talk to us.

Even when we see his parents, they donít reslly interact with our kids. Itís very sad.

Anyways, lately DH is all about his family being involved. Thatís fine, but I am annoyed by how heís going about doing it. He basically said tonight that we have to see his family on a Christmas and not be with mine possibly. We always go to my parents on Christmas and to his parents whenever they say to come. Itís super random and sometimes no where near Christmas. I just let his mom decide.

I just feel a little hurt. My family bends over backwards to see us, be present in our kidsí lives, and do stuff for us. Itís good he wants to be with his family, just hurt how it came out today.

I donít even know if heíll sing this tune in the future, or even if his family will be able to see us on Christmas. I was just hurt.

pbot

pbot

Old 11-04-2018, 11:23 PM

Your feelings are your feelings, but your dh wanting to make the effort to feel closer with his family sounds like, as you stated, a positive thing. I think he may really appreciate your support in his endeavour.

I think youíre likely mostly disappointed with the thought of changing tradition, but Iíd put on a brave face and try to make the best of it. Maybe do your part to make it more fun for all: bring a game like Apples to Apples or another board game to play together, bring some fun food (or make it there) to share and talk about. (Penguin olives? Strawberry Santas?) Think of opportunities for your in-laws to engage with your kids. Share recent photos of your kids in their activities; have them dust off the old old photo albums to see pics of your husband as a youngster! The kids would marvel at seeing him as a little boy.

In other words, if they donít make much effort, then sounds like itís up to you to make efforts and hope for a closer bond.

Just my thoughts.

nickelbackfan

Dj5778
Old 11-05-2018, 03:10 AM

Understand your concern. This is a hard one.

Last edited by nickelbackfan; 11-05-2018 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: Cancel
nickelbackfan is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 11-05-2018, 09:01 AM

Families and holidays can be a very stressful combination! I know you are feeling hurt, but sometimes turnabout is fair play. Just remember that you have been with your family for the holidays all the previous years. Even though his folks aren't as into your kids and family activities, they are still his family.

I also wouldn't stress about it yet anyway. It sounds like there really isn't a plan to be with his family in place yet, but that is just what he would like to do. Based on what you said about his family, a firm date may not be made or it may be one that is not actually on Christmas. Maybe your Christmas wish will still come true!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote