Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

PT Mechanics

>

PEPteach

PT Mechanics
Old 06-07-2019, 05:31 AM

My Honda Civic is 13 years old, 130,000 miles. The AC is not working and it will be a loooong summer without it. I'm debating about what to do. $100 for initial diagnostics. If they don't find something (not sure what he was talking about), it's an additional $120 to fully diagnose the problem. To fix it could be something "simple" for another $600-800. Worse case scenario $1200-1400.

According to Kelly Blue Book, my car is only worth $1000-1500. I do have someone who is interested in buying it if I decide to sell.

I have money saved up to buy a new car. However, I don't want to do it prematurely. But I don't want to spend more money on the car than it is worth. I put about $800 into it in December.

Any thoughts?

PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

Will car payments be okay with you?
Old 06-07-2019, 06:13 AM

I would say it is time. A major problem — no A/C — would be the tipping point for me.

Just know, a new car usually means different insurance rates and different gas mileages. Those expenses may go up too. That can strain a tight budget.

If you are comfortable with your finances, go for it. If you are not comfortable, then live without A/C for awhile longer.
Start car shopping and find the best price for the replacement. Don’t be in a hurry to buy.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
knit1purl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-07-2019, 06:16 AM

Does it blow hot air?

Google recharging your ac. There is a bottle for recharging that you can do that isn’t too difficult. If that doesn’t work, then you probably need to write it off and get something with working ac. From my experience, unless a fan goes out or a piece breaks, acs are expensive to diagnose and hard to fix.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

lacey2

Honda Civic
Old 06-07-2019, 06:19 AM

We have a 1997 Honda Civic that is still going strong. Several years ago we had to replace the transmission for around $3,000. Our car was otherwise in good shape with roughly 100,000 miles on it. The mechanic, who we trusted, told us that the car was in such good shape that he thought the expense was worth it, because we wouldn’t be able to replace the car for $3,000 no matter what.

I guess the point is that it really depends on the shape of the vehicle. We’ve needed to do basic maintenance on it since the transmission was replaced, but otherwise it’s run fine. However, it is a second car so that factored into our decision. Your circumstances may be different.
lacey2 is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 06-07-2019, 06:28 AM

Yes, it blows hot air. I will look up the bottle!

Financially, I can definitely manage it. I've been saving up for awhile. But I really don't like spending large amounts of money, so it kind of freaks me out.

I feel like it's kind of a gamble. I could put money into it and could get another year or two out of it. Or I could put money into it only for something else to go wrong.

I love my car and would be happy keeping it. At the same time, I feel like I would like some more safety features that are available on the newer cars. Especially a rear view camera.

Keltikmom

New car
Old 06-07-2019, 06:35 AM

Love it or list it!!

I say start looking for new/gently used car now. I had a 14 year old Durango that started to have HVAC issues. Spent $$ fixing it. 6 months later the whole system blew up on my way to work. Smoke was billowing out of the dash board.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

JanetL

Old 06-07-2019, 06:56 AM

There is no way I would go through a hot summer with no ac. If you have the money, do it now, especially since you have the $$ and someone to buy your old car.
JanetL is online now   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 06-07-2019, 07:15 AM

I have a Civic about the same age as yours (2007.) The AC went on it a couple of summers ago. The dealership was able to recharge it for a pretty low fee and that worked for a while. My husband has been driving it the last few years and he said that the AC is struggling again. We have been having the same debate about replacing ours. We just put new brakes on it for safety's sake but it will need some more work to pass inspection in August.

I think we are at the point now where we are ready to replace it when we find the right vehicle in the right price range, which hasn't happened yet!
Paddlegurl is online now   Reply With Quote

happygal

Life is short
Old 06-07-2019, 08:41 AM

Sale and get a new used car
happygal is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 06-07-2019, 08:45 AM

Yeah, I would try to recharge it if it's blowing hot air. Not sure what that is, but this may be the same or different...adding freon makes it colder again.

If it's going to be more expensive than that, I would say it's time to car shop!

teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Coopsgrammy

car
Old 06-07-2019, 09:08 AM

You put $800 into it in December...It is worth $1000-$1500...I think that answers the question. Time to trade it in/sell it. It has served you well.
Coopsgrammy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 06-07-2019, 12:26 PM

I would definitely say it’s time to get a new car! I just traded in my almost 10 year old Corolla in December for something larger. I was looking at a $2500 repair and I knew I’d only get about $5000 trading it in (which I did). I stayed with Toyota as I know they are reliable cars.

I looked at both new and used cars. Just a heads up— I didn't finance a huge amount but I ended up going with a new car because there was such a huge difference in interest rates. I will end up actually paying less for the new car than I would have with a used car, with the interest factored in. My insurance actually went down since the new car has newer safety features.

Last edited by Lilbitkm; 06-07-2019 at 12:45 PM..
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 06-07-2019, 12:36 PM

Thanks! You all convinced me! I'm going to cancel my appt and start looking around. I actually just went to the Honda and Toyota dealer this afternoon. I figure it doesn't hurt to get some information.