Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Organizing survey

>

Paddlegurl

Organizing survey
Old 07-05-2019, 04:40 AM

Now that summer is here, I need to get my house back together. And with baby #2 coming and a renovation to accommodate him, I'm losing some storage space and re-thinking some of my organizational systems. Ideas from real people seem more helpful than pretty pictures on pinterest. I would love if you could share with me where you store/how you organize the following things:

1) Toiletries you don't use every day (spare shampoo, nail polish, first aid stuff, etc)

2) Office supplies (pens, notepads) especially if you don't have a home office or desk

3) Kids' art supplies

4) School materials that don't fit what you are currently teaching.

Thanks!

Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-05-2019, 05:08 AM

1) Toiletries you don't use every day (spare shampoo, nail polish, first aid stuff, etc)
*Big stuff like extra shampoo is under the bathroom sinks.
*Little stuff is in a drawer.
2) Office supplies (pens, notepads) especially if you don't have a home office or desk
*One drawer in the kitchen is dedicated to office stuff.
*Retired, but all school materials stayed at school.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 07-05-2019, 05:15 AM

1- tubs under bathroom sink, drawer, wall cabinet above toilet

2- I have a hutch with drawers on the bottom half. Office supplies, notebooks in there. Also have the small kitchen drawer of random stuff with scissors and pens.

3- we had a small playroom when my kids were younger. I have those shelves that look like 8 cubbies. Art supplies went in some of the baskets on those shelves.

4- I store as much as I can at school. garage (cheap plastic shelf system), shed in a tub, teacher books (I have a problem!) are on a bookshelf in our guest bedroom.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-05-2019, 05:53 AM

1) Toiletries you don't use every day (spare shampoo, nail polish, first aid stuff, etc) clear shoe box storage under sinks;some baskets above toilet on shelving unit

2) Office supplies (pens, notepads) especially if you don't have a home office or desk two drawers with organizing bins inside

3) Kids' art supplies : cupboard in garage

4) School materials that don't fit what you are currently teaching. Retired...but I was lucky. We have cupboard units in our garage.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-05-2019, 06:18 AM

Paddlegurl, I also learned a trick from the Stager who did my last house to sell: get furniture with drawers/cabinets instead of open tables/shelves. I followed this advice when I downsized and I LOVE it. In the old days, I probably would have placed a table or open shelves where this mini-chest sits. This piece stores a lot and I really really like it.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

amiga13

Old 07-05-2019, 06:25 AM

I also got this very inexpensive cabinet for the hidden alcove over the toilet. It holds 2 boxes of Kleenex and 6 big rolls of toilet paper.

I hate looking at stuff outóI like things put away, so I need to be a creative organizer in a little condo.
Attachment

amiga13

Old 07-05-2019, 06:44 AM

Last example: this piece under the TV houses a plethora of stuff. Someone I love who shall remain nameless has one with a couple of open shelves and, just to me, it looks junky. I store a ton here.

I apologize if I bored you by posting so much. Because of downsizing, I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about storage.
Attachment

Ima Teacher

Old 07-05-2019, 06:53 AM

I have a closet in a short access hallway that connects my main hallway to my small bathroom. I keep all extra stuff there: towels, medicines, toilet paper, toiletries.
I have wire shelving in there, and I put things in baskets by item type. I'm one to use coupons and shop sales, so I always have a big stash of toiletries.

We have a small bedroom with a big closet. I took it over for my office supplies and crafting supplies. I sew and paint and do other crafts. It is wood and wire shelving with plastic baskets for storage.

3) Kids' art supplies
N/A for me, but see above.

I used to keep them in totes in my small garage. (It's not the garage where we park the cars.) A few years ago I got rid of all of it. It was taking up space and wasn't likely to be used. If I can't store it at school, then it goes.

I"m lucky that my house has good storage space, but I agree that enclosed shelves and cabinets are the way to go. I absolutely HATE seeing stuff just sitting around. I do have some open shelving, but my favorite pieces are the ones that I can close up completely.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Amiga
Old 07-05-2019, 06:54 AM

thatís a great storage tip from your stager! Iím in a house that doesnít have a lot of storage. Iím definitely going to use that idea! Thanks

Thanks for posting the Q Paddlegurl. Iíll be following this thread closely
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

clear plastic shoebags
Old 07-05-2019, 07:47 AM

I am a devout follower of the Church of the Clear Shoe Bag.

I have a utility closet in my full bath, and hung one on the door. All the toiletry overflow goes in there. A BOGO on hair crap? One in the shower, one in the bag. Under the bathroom sink is for bulky stuff that won't fit it in the bag. And a first aid kit.

In the hallway linen closet there are two smaller hanging jewelry organizer bags. The bags hold washcloths so they don't get lost in the shelves. They also hold small garden flags all rolled up.

In the hall coat closet the bag holds mittens, scarves, dog and cat grooming tools, batteries, and a flashlight or two.

If you have any doors you could put into service, you could put most office supplies, art supples, and toiletries into a shoe bag. PRO TIP: Don't use the over-door hooks bc your bag will need more support. Get a screws and a couple washers to secure things, and mount the bag to the door. I'll post/attach a pic.

Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 07-05-2019, 07:55 AM

Here's the best shot I can get of the top of the hall closet bag. The washers and screws were under a buck per bag.
Attachment

bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 07-05-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I am OCD about the organization in my bathroom. I'm constantly cleaning out my drawers and bathroom cabinets. The best thing I have found for the organization of extra shampoo, body wash, etc. is a series of flat storage plastic containers that fit perfectly in my lower cabinets. I keep extra makeup etc in one, travel items the next, extra bath gels deodorants, etc. in another. I do purchase extras when they're on sale but I'm really careful about not keeping anything that isn't essential.

Buying plastic drawers that pull out didn't work because I couldn't access all the entire drawer and the drawers were wonky to pull out efficiently. *sigh
Attachment

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 07-05-2019, 10:56 AM

If you don't mind spending time browsing on Amazon, just search for make up storage. There is such a variety of pretty containers in varying sizes with dividers, sections, lids etc. I like to look at the reviews, because very often people post pictures that give me ideas of how to use.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-05-2019, 03:28 PM

Several years ago I bought a bunch of matching wicker baskets for organization and I still use them religiously! I have one on the bathroom sink for things like hair spray, heat protectant, mouthwash, dry shampoo, face wash, etc. Basically things that are too large or inconvenient to store in a drawer. I store extras in the cabinet under the sink.

I have another basket on my bedroom dresser/vanity for make up, and a 3rd for miscellaneous items- hair ties, nail files and clippers, tweezers, etc. Finally, I have a smaller one for nail polish.

I don't have kids, so no advice there. I don't have many office supplies at home- what little I have fits on a shelf in one of my kitchen cabinets. I don't store teaching materials at home either.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

squirrel612

Small house
Old 07-05-2019, 05:19 PM

We have a smaller house than most and 2 kids. So, I've been working on almost all these same issues.
1. I keep just what we need with little extras. The tp goes in a storage cabinet above the toilet in our bathroom and under the sink in the kids bathroom. Everything else goes under the sink.

2. I've struggled with this for years. We used to keep a small desk in the family room, but it just was piled upon. I got a bookcase and attempted organizing but same issue. So, now it's in our coat closet that we converted to a game closet (everyone can keep their jacket in their bedrooms). We have shelves in there and 2 shelves hold all the board games and 1 shelf holds the "office". There's a file box for the bills/papers work. There is a clear shoebox to hold the stapler, tape, stamps, envelopes, etc. The top shelf holds the items not used as frequently like my laminator, large manilla envelopes, laptop case and battery operated lanterns (live in Florida near the water and hurricanes). I also have a shoe holder on the door to hold bug spray, sunscreen, wrinkle release spray, dog leash, umbrella and a few other things we might need as we walk out the door). I keep pens/pencils in the kitchen in a small jar and paper on the kids art cart.

3. The kids have an "art cart" in the nook part of the kitchen by the table. We have this one from Target. https://www.target.com/p/3-tier-wire...88#lnk=sametab

I keep paper in a box on top and a galvanized utensil caddy holds pencils, pens, colored pencils, etc. There are storage boxes on the other two shelves holding markers, crayons, stamps, stickers, painting supplies, playdoh, and one holding misc. crafting supplies.

4. I keep all school things at school.
squirrel612 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

organizing
Old 07-06-2019, 02:07 AM

1) Toiletries you don't use every day (spare shampoo, nail polish, first aid stuff, etc) plastic baskets in variety of sizes in the linen cupboard

2) Office supplies (pens, notepads) especially if you don't have a home office or desk variety of plastic bins and baskets and in the junk drawer of the kitchen

3) Kids' art supplies a 4-shelf wooden bookcase in my home library, but organized into bins and baskets

4) School materials that don't fit what you are currently teaching. Everything is at school!
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote