Help

Teachers' Lounge

Were truer words ever spoken?

>

amiga13

Were truer words ever spoken?
Old 07-15-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Home ownership is filled with fixing things, isn't it??
Linda observed this. Smart woman. Is it true for you?

I knew when I bought my condo over a year ago that it needed a ton of work. I’ve done/had done a boatload of work. After a year, I was kind of hoping for the resting on my laurels stage. Not so. I have 2 appointments this week for people fixing things that were fixed once already and now, due to other work done, need fixing again. Is it endless?

Here are this week’s projects:
*have carpet guy look at problem caused by window guys and figure out a fix
*get new blinds in 1 room to replace old new blinds window guys accidentally damaged
*have grab bar installed in bathroom (be careful with my beautiful new tile!)

What’s going on at your house?
Are you constantly fixing/redoing/replacing/repairing?

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-15-2019, 05:18 AM

• Swapping out bedroom carpet for wood: DIY
  • Roof on the pergola: DIY
  • Letting lawn die and putting in all native plants: DIY
  • Concrete pad poured for hot tub: hiring out
  • Hot Tub: company delivers + installs
  • New kitchen countertops +cabs: hiring out

I'm tired and broke and my house is chaotic, lol
Zia is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-15-2019, 05:23 AM

Whoa, Zia, thatís a big list! But youíre adding a lot of beauty and comfort (much better than a carpet fix and a grab bar). Will you be able to see your beautiful painted patio as you relax in the hot tub?

Are you getting slate countertops?

SusaninNJ

Order?
Old 07-15-2019, 05:24 AM

We have a number of fixes/updates needed. Iím trying to decide the best order of things... floors... kitchen remodel... some outside work... iím Hoping to minimize redoing things!
SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-15-2019, 05:27 AM

Susan, good luck! Figuring out the order is hard! As I learned, ďEverybody wants to be the last contractor.Ē

Zia

Old 07-15-2019, 05:28 AM

The hot tub will be positioned under the pergola, to the side of one of the brick patios, so yes!

I abandoned slate. Found a granite slab I love. LINK

At the wholesaler's, I could choose my specific slab, so that was fun. Wandering around the warehouse in a hard hat was odd, though.

Prices confuse me. Hi-Mac and engineered quartz from Lowe's were MORE than going with high end granite from a local stone contractor. It's like, "Um, yes please, I'd like the better product for fewer dollars."

Ruby07

Don't get me started! lol
Old 07-15-2019, 05:30 AM

My house is 105 years old, so there's ALWAYS something to do.

I can't even bring myself to try to list them.
Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 07-15-2019, 05:31 AM

I have a laundry list of projects!

No it never ends!

Think I'm going to work on getting DH to install hardwood floors in master bedroom first. I guess I should paint before that happens....
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

giver1940

Absolutely, a huge money pit.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:40 AM

Can't do anything ourselves - too old.

House was built by a farmer's hands so probably not the best.

Ev.er.y contractor we've had has nailed us. The only one who has stood behind their work is the roofing company. They've been out at least 10 times to try to figure out where the leak around the chimney on the flat roof is. At least they keep coming.

Would move in a heart beat to somewhere that the repairs weren't my responsibility if I thought anybody would buy this house.
giver1940 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-15-2019, 05:41 AM

Zia, I love your granite—it screams desert to me. How perfect for you there. What do your new cabinets look like?

choppie70

Old 07-15-2019, 05:48 AM

We are always doing some type of work on our house.

Last week DH replaced the front storm door.

We also stained our back deck, build a kayak stand, and built a small shed for storage.

We need to have our roof looked at. It looks like some shingles are loose. We will most likely hire that out - DH feels he could do it, but he does not like heights
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 07-15-2019, 05:54 AM

What's going on at my house?

Remodeling was done a few years ago, in a certain order, window replacement first, right on down to flooring done last. Had great advice from a professional on importance of doing things in the correct order.

The last thing that was done was reroofing, this spring, with loud banging all day, but it's done.

Zia, I would love to have a pergola, just have a deck in the back now. The front porch is covered and great for sitting, but there's more activity going on in the back yard over here.
LazyLake is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Repairs
Old 07-15-2019, 05:57 AM

On my "to do" list if I ever stay home long enough to get them done...

Screens have to be replaced in the downstairs windows and my bedroom from dog damage.

Doors in to the laundry and upstairs closets have to be replaced. The track was never heavy enough to hold the doors the builder used and they are constantly falling off. Time to order the right ones.

The kitchen floor needs to be replaced and a hole in the sub floor below the present floor has to be addressed.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-15-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Remodeling was done a few years ago, in a certain order, window replacement first, right on down to flooring done last.
Oh yes! How I wish Iíd had my windows done firstóI really thought I could hold off a couple of years. Oh well, theyíre done now and I love them.

LazyLake, did you have to do touch up painting after your floors were done? I did, because the carpet guys marred the freshly painted baseboards in a few places. Endless cycle for me.

Zia

Old 07-15-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
The last thing that was done was reroofing, this spring, with loud banging all day, but it's done.
We got a new roof in June, but scheduled it for when we were on vacation, lol.

Quote:
Zia, I would love to have a pergola, just have a deck in the back now. The front porch is covered and great for sitting, but there's more activity going on in the back yard over here.
It was already here when we bought the house, otherwise I'd have adding one on my list! We spend ZERO time in the front yard, which is why we are ditching the lawn and going full on native jungle.

LazyLake

Old 07-15-2019, 06:21 AM

No, both the tile and carpet (2 of the bedrooms only) did a great job.

Had all the windows replaced at the same time. Great company, life time replacement, etc. One windowsill was ruined when the window people took out one of the old windows, but their fine print said they were not responsible if that happened. So, the carpenter who did other things in the house took care of it.
The man that was in charge of the remodel was really picky about the quality of the work done, care of things, and cleanup.
LazyLake is online now   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 07-15-2019, 06:23 AM

When we bought our house (4 years ago) we kept saying "It's perfect! There's hardly any work to do!"

Oh how naive we were.

We are currently in the midst of changing the open concept office/playroom back into a bedroom to accommodate kid #2's arrival in the fall. This is the project that keeps growing...now we need to paint the living room since it has a new wall and paint the closet doors since they match the living room... Luckily my dad has done most of the work and we are only hiring someone to do the drywall. Of course drywall guy is on vacation right now...

Other summer projects include painting the fence and ripping out some of the front garden. We were so excited about gorgeous landscaping when we bought the house - but keeping up with it is a full time job. Grass and hostas are more my speed these days.

We would really like to get a heat pump but since we're also going to have to replace a car this summer that's going to have to wait until after mat leave.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 07-15-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Here are this weekís projects:
*have carpet guy look at problem caused by window guys and figure out a fix
*get new blinds in 1 room to replace old new blinds window guys accidentally damaged
Amiga, if the window guys did the damage, their company should be paying for it and helping arrange the make-good repairs. Have you contacted the company? We once had an electrician whack holes in a few walls, and we didn't call to complain. Wish we had.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-15-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Of course drywall guy is on vacation right now...
Don’t even get me started on scheduling contractors!

I had 1 contractor for my big job and he scheduled all the subcontractors (plumber, electrician, tiler, painters, carpenter, etc.). I had 1 contractor for windows and he scheduled installers, carpenter, stucco guy, carpet guy). But there was still scheduling that involved me. And now that it’s “little” jobs I’m scheduling, arrrrrrgh!

Quote:
Amiga, if the window guys did the damage, their company should be paying for it and helping arrange the make-good repairs. Have you contacted the company?
teacher writer, yes, the window guy had a carpet guy come (its a small thing) and he fixed it mostly, but I want it better. And yes, we’re sharing the cost of new blinds (my suggestion—he offered to pay then blanched at the original cost).

anna

Old 07-15-2019, 06:50 AM

We have done a lot to our home and this summer I concentrated on the master bedroom and bathroom. The bathroom is done and dh finished installing seven window shades in the master bedroom and bathroom yesterday. There is a very old small water stain on one wall to deal with next in the master bedroom. The cause for the water stain has been repaired. Still on the list here:
remove wallpaper border and paint walls in laundry room,re-tile guest bathroom floor downstairs and kid bathroom floor upstairs,remove wallpaper in kid bathroom and replace all fixtures in both bathrooms,paint the outside of the house,replace front yard set up with a low water english looking garden set up, paint the handrail on our stairway and lastly replace carpet on stairway and bedrooms upstairs. DS is hired to do most of the work on his long weekends and dh and I pitch in.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

Oh yeah
Old 07-15-2019, 06:51 AM

When we bought our last home we knew it would require work inside and out. After all it was built in 1978. We lived very close to a Home Depot we quickly christened Home Desperate. DH didn't have to drive there - his truck knew the way.
Over the years we fixed, remodeled, re-landscaped, fixed more, improved and really never stopped. To sell the house, we had to bring some of the wiring up to code due to recent code changes, so we were fixing practically up to the point when we signed the sale documents.
After almost 20 years we more than doubled the price. After 40 years of home ownership we said goodbye to mortgages and home responsibility. We now rent. We love it!
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

techgrad

Old 07-15-2019, 06:56 AM

Iím building a new home in hopes of no projects for a little while.

I am actually having a project done before we move in. The builder is putting carpet and lowest grade flooring in. After purchase, next day, ripping it out and putting high grade laminate wood floors. Itís cheaper to do it this way than to buy the package from the builders.
techgrad is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

House Projects
Old 07-15-2019, 07:21 AM

We're getting hardwood flooring in the family room. The rest of the main level has hardwood, including the kitchen, and it is time. We have a new puppy, and things would be easier with no carpet in there. It would look nice too.

The next project is getting rid of the heavy drapes in the living room and replacing them with plantation shutters.

Last edited by travelingfar; 07-15-2019 at 08:22 AM..
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 07-15-2019, 07:21 AM

I bought my home 3 summers ago and I've had projects going on ever since. This summer it's a new garage door and replacing deck boards. We were supposed to life the sidewalk by my step but that is on the back burner now.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-15-2019, 07:25 AM

We've owned twice and made do with what we had because we couldn't afford the time or money to make improvements. We stayed in each house for about 4 years. Had we stayed in the second longer, there were a ton of updates we would have liked to make, some day.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Money pits
Old 07-15-2019, 07:49 AM

Oh my, yes.

Dishwasher is on last legs
Original bathroom WILL get remodel this year
All the cedar shingles need to be replaced before we canít paint house again. Iím thinking of replacing it with siding or stucco.
Hardwood floors still need to be refinished....almost two years after I ripped up carpet.
The entire interior needs painting and I refuse to do it again.

Come on lottery!!!!
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 07-15-2019, 07:51 AM

This is what’s happening over here:

1. Tomorrow the landscaper is coming to do some desperately needed curb appeal. We are getting a new front walkway, fixing two steps that are cracked, landscape lighting, and underground sprinkler.

2. Beginning of August-the house is getting new siding, gutters, and gutter guards. Windows have to wait. I read your advice about doing both together. The siding can’t wait so the windows have to be done separately. Not my ideal situation but we’ll survive.

3. End of July I have a roofer coming to do a patch job on one of my skylights. They both need replacing but can’t do it yet. Roofer told me patch will hold til next summer. Big window project coming next summer.

In the future these are on the to-do list:

1. Basement renovation for Dh. He wants a full theater in the basement, and bathroom, and a music/jam room for his band. I see a lot of sound proofing happening with this project.

2. New garage door, front door, and back door.

3. Side porch renovation-I would love to knock it down and rebuild it to be a wrap around porch like this:
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Jackie
Old 07-15-2019, 08:03 AM

For a nanosecond I thought that WAS your house and I was going to die of envy. I wish I had a house big enough for a really useable front porch.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Keltikmom
Old 07-15-2019, 08:07 AM

I wish that was my house too! . Actually if you can visualize that house with no front porch and old crumbling siding, itís actually pretty close to what my house looks like When I saw my house for the first time this is what I envisioned it would look like one day. We are slowly getting there.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-15-2019, 09:02 AM

This is so true.

I bought a project house. And it has been. As soon as I finish one project, it is time to start another. And we won't talk about things that break.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

fixing things up
Old 07-15-2019, 10:25 AM

and outdoor work.

We built our home so when we moved in there was no landscaping at all. My DH finished a natural slate walkway to our side and front door. Now we have to landscape. We are adding foundation plantings.
DH then builds a deck off our covered porch.
Now I have to landscape around the deck.
So, now DH has cleared more and more of our backyard that was just overgrown land. He has added more lawn and stone walls. Now I have to landscape all the areas above the stone walls.
Now DH has added raised garden beds
Now I have to weed and care for a garden.

This man must stop!
Is it against the law to hold a man hostage inside a house and not let him outside?
chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 07-15-2019, 04:14 PM

Thursday someone is coming to see about replacing our shower in the basement bathroom. They are also going to replace pipes under the sink and install a vent or something to help prevent mold in the new shower.

Need to : Paint master bedroom
tear carpet out of living room and have someone put down hardwood
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Old 07-15-2019, 06:18 PM

We have been in our house two years now and we bought it move in ready (I did not want a house that needed a ton of work). So far we have added a porch, put flooring in and built shelves in the laundry room, added solar panels, updated the lanai.

Right now we are turning the walk-in closet into an office/media room. This was the one thing I really wasnít crazy about with this house. The closet used to be a bedroom a smallish bedroom, but a way too big walk in closet and to me a poor use of space (we have much smaller homes here). We are also trimming back the jungle that was encroaching on our yard, it looks like it was nicely landscaped at one time but got very overgrown.

Next up, I have decided I really want a dishwasher, so that means ripping out some cupboards and changing the kitchen entrance. I need to paint the front door and replace the almost but not quite cool again 70ís pee colored strip of glass by the front door. Eventually, I may be brave enough to rip up carpet and laminate to see what condition the wood floors are in. Iím sure they need to be refinished. We also have a basement room (nothing like mainland basements) that we need to do something with.

I am so glad we didnít buy a fixer upper- this house keeps us busy enough.
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 07-15-2019, 09:38 PM

We built our house 16 years ago, and now we are getting to the point where things need to be replaced. Carpet and linoleum are looking pretty dingy, kitchen cabinets and countertops need to be refinished and replaced, backyard grass needs to be replaced or removed, etc. We are trying to decide how much longer we want to stay in this house, and if it's worth it to do these things or just sell and let the next owners put in the finishes that they want.
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote