Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Maternity Clothes

>

MrsFrazzled

Maternity Clothes
Old 08-09-2019, 11:49 AM

So Iím 4 months pregnant with my first baby. I need advice on the best maternity clothes for teaching. I will be on my feet a lot and I quickly found out last night at open house that my current shoes are too uncomfortable.

Iím not the most fashionable so I donít know a whole lot about clothes in general. I mainly wear flats for shoes and pants (colored or jeans) with a cute top for most outfits. Iím not one to wear leggings but I feel like I might have to. I donít want to buy a whole new wardrobe.

What are some suggestions on cute, comfy clothes to wear and where might I be able to buy affordable maternity clothes (online or in store)?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

MrsFrazzled is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 08-09-2019, 11:59 AM

If you get longer tops (I like the fuller ones, but stretchy is fine0 that cover your bum when you move, you can wear leggings and be warm and comfy.

Honestly, I donít get how young moms do it these days...most donít seem to buy special maternity clothes, but just wear looser, stretchy tops, dresses, and pants. (And I say this after watching dd just go through a pregnancy).

You can buy extenders that let you continue to wear your favorite jeans...itís just a band that buttons to your waistband closure to let you wear the pants with the zipper open.

Dd went to a consignment shop that has a big maternity department to buy some pants and tops economically.

She bought a few new pants and leggings...I will ask her where and update you.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-09-2019, 12:05 PM

Your feet will swell and possibly even increase half a size to a whole size. You want to get shoes with good support.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

CheddarCheese

Old 08-09-2019, 12:50 PM

I wore non maternity dresses and leggings. For maternity clothes, I went to the Motherhood Maternity Outlet. It was a lot cheaper than buying at their regular store. Zulily has some cheap clothes. I did buy some shorts and pants from Loft in their online clearance section. They were so comfortable! My aunt bought me a few shirts from Kohlís. They were my favorite shirts.
CheddarCheese is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

I just went through this
Old 08-09-2019, 02:02 PM

I was pregnant last year. I shopped at Kohl’s, Old Navy,& Motherhood Maternity (coupons & sales). I lived in leggings & longer stretchy tops. Have you heard of Primark? I got a good amount of blouse/loose/flowy in larger sizes (not maternity) that I wore with leggings & a cardigan.

Advice: invest in comfy supportive shoes!!! It is a NEED, NOT a want

PS: Congrats!!!

Last edited by WordFountain; 08-09-2019 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Added a line
WordFountain is online now   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 08-09-2019, 05:07 PM

I am on my 2nd pregnancy and while I've been able to wear a lot of my regular clothes, I've definitely needed some maternity basics.

Some of the maternity staples I've bought:

Pants - I got by with a pair each of dress pants, khakis, jeans and yoga pants. I tried wearing my regular pants with an elastic or belly band but never found it comfortable.

Leggings - I wore my regular ones for a long while but maternity were more comfortable towards the end

Tops - I was able to wear a lot of my regular shirts that were long or loose, but it was nice to have a few that flattered my bump. I bought some extra long tshirts and camisoles for layering. I had a super cozy maternity cardigan that I never stopped wearing between pregnancies!

I wore a lot of dresses with both pregnancies (over leggings in the winter) but that was more my style pre-pregnancy.

Most of my maternity clothes came from Motherhood, Old Navy, H&M, Thyme and Momzelle (last 2 are Canadian.) Check out local consignment stores and Facebook marketplace too.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 08-10-2019, 05:26 AM

I've also noticed that most women today don't bother with maternity clothes. They just stretch everything to the max! Just purchase a few loose tops and stretchy dresses and you'll be fine. Target seems to have a decent maternity department. I would invest in comfortable flats though. Your feet will expand along with your tummy!
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote