Every time I post something on FB marketplace Iím reminded why I donít - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Every time I post something on FB marketplace Iím reminded why I donít

>

GreyhoundGirl

Every time I post something on FB marketplace Iím reminded why I donít
Old 08-28-2019, 01:13 PM

I have 3 bookshelves I posted. Someone was supposed to pick one up today. Have you seen her because I havenít.

People wanted dimensions. Yeah, I should have posted those.

Someone wants me to hold until Monday because she doesnít have the money. Iím a softie so I said yes. Want to bet I wonít see her? Meanwhile someone else wants the same one. I bet when I contact him (because said woman wonít show) heíll no longer be interested.

Great.big.headache.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 08-28-2019, 01:29 PM

I feel the same way! I have been trying to sell baby clothes and some other household stuff this summer. I have 2 bags waiting for acquaintances who are going to get them... at some point. Posted a light fixture, had a ton of inquiries who never replied. Finally agreed to haul the thing 45 minutes away to someone who actually responded to me...and then of course had serious inquiries from people much closer!
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

I feel your pain
Old 08-28-2019, 01:29 PM

I am so over the idea of selling to people. I do better donating to charity and taking the deduction.
Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote

ily

Old 08-28-2019, 01:34 PM

I just donate now, less hassle and I don't need the money that bad, it's not worth the hassle to sell
ily is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Donate
Old 08-28-2019, 01:59 PM

National Kidney Foundation comes to the house to pick up. They send 2 men to pick up furniture. So easy! My goal is to get to the point that the next time they call I'll have nothing left! I must admit, it's a long range goal!

RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 08-28-2019, 02:27 PM

Dimensions seem essential to selling bookshelves. I'm not going to purchase something that doesn't fit.

If holding things causes you problems, don't hold things. First come, first serve. Tell the woman and the guy that whoever gets there first with money gets the bookshelves. Post that on your ad. "This is what I have. This is all the necessary information. Show up with money and it's yours." No hassles.

Sometimes I get the impression you enjoy complaining. Vents get long, detailed posts and are often about things within your control so there's no need to complain, just change your behavior. Someone asks you how something went and it went well? Terse and short.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-28-2019, 02:53 PM

Yeah, it's super annoying! Just say you changed your mind, it's a common courtesy! I've had some real bad luck with no shows. I recently sold two things, so I'm motivated again!
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 08-28-2019, 03:01 PM

I put on all my FB listings that it will be porch pickup and the development I live in.

They pick it up from the porch and leave the money under the mat. I donít even have to be home. I have never had any no shows and I donít even have to be home or see them. It works well for me!

I figure itís not anything that valuable that I would be heartbroken if they didnít leave the money... clearly they need it more than I do at that point.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrme11

Old 08-28-2019, 03:10 PM

Iíve had similar experiences and Iíve had some really good ones too. You never know.
kidsrme11 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 08-28-2019, 03:29 PM

I got rid of an old patio set and bbq gas grill this weekend because we just no longer use either. Put it on a local FB site for free stuff. Both went quickly and got picked up, but even on that site I have had several no shows!

twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

grade2rocks

Old 08-28-2019, 03:37 PM

The no shows are so frustrating. I always ask for their phone number, so I call them to ask if they are no longer interested.

I did get rid of most of my library, classroom furniture and supplies on facebook marketplace after retiring last year, aanoying as it was.
grade2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-28-2019, 03:39 PM

I got "strict" and all my posts say "no holds" and "price firm." If someone says they are coming I mark it pending write a comment "pending for" so if they flake out everyone knows. I have made about 300 hundred dollars a summer for several years by selling school materials . The key for me is very explicit and direct with good photos. It hasn't been difficult for me once I figured out how to get rid of people that waste my time.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 08-28-2019, 03:41 PM

Iíve bought and sold. First come, first serve - I donít hold things. I also do porch pick-up. If Iím buying something and I change my mind, or look at a porch pick-up that I donít want, I message the seller to let them know.
FancyFish is online now   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-28-2019, 04:31 PM

Anna I love this:
Quote:
pending for
What a great idea!
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 08-28-2019, 05:31 PM

girl, feel your pain--am right there with you!

i have sold many items in a closed fb sale group, which is generally good, but the amount of people is limited. so this summer i hit "FB sales" or whatever as well as the closed group and got a few more hits on some things--but i also got WAAAAAAYYYY more flakes. there were 3 instances where i rushed home to be there at a time i said i would be available and then no-shows.

drives me crazy when people ask questions that are already answered.

the other day: do those bookends hold books. whhhaaaaa????
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-28-2019, 05:36 PM

I need to get rid of my old living room furniture when I move and it was recommended to me that I just put it up for free on FB marketplace and see if someone will come take it. Unfortunately, it's not in good enough shape to donate (thanks, cat ) as no one will take anything with scratches.

But I'm afraid to give randos my address/invite them into my home when I'm here alone. I guess I've seen too many SVU episodes! I could maybe see selling smaller items where you could meet the person in public.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

chipmunky

Donating...
Old 08-29-2019, 03:48 AM

The last time we purged it was between finishing the work on a new home, doing some of it ourselves, and moving out of a home we lived in for over 35 years.
We did not do due diligence. We contacted a veteran's donation pick up group and left everything that needed to go on the porch. Later we found out that this organization gave small donations to the veterans to fund their NYC parade, and that was it.
Since then I see their name is no longer listed, but I really think they are operating under a different name.

Now, I still donate things, but I always go online and check the organization out. I am sure most PT members don't make the mistake I made, but just in case someone needs a reminder.
chipmunky is online now   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 08-29-2019, 11:26 AM

I just drop off at a donation center.

I've heard others who have had the same experience as you are describing!
Another complaint that I've heard about is when people offer to buy an item for a much, much lower price, even when the seller is offering the item for a low price to begin with, or even worse, come to pick in up and say they didn't bring enough money, can they purchase it for less?
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote