Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Hobby spending

>

annie_g

Hobby spending
Old 09-01-2019, 06:07 PM

I am curious what people spend for hobbies. I'm retired. I love to sew. I sew for myself and for my grandson. I would say I spend about $150-200 a month on fabric/patterns/thread, etc. I make my grandson a couple of outfits a month and I do splurge on expensive fabrics sometimes for him. I make most of my own clothes, so this is my clothing budget, too. Other than that, I don't spend a lot on anything else. We don't eat out a lot. Sometimes I feel a little guilty, but then I think it's my entertainment and clothing, and my grandson looks so cute in his outfits. So, if you have a hobby, what's your monthly spending on it?

annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

Great post
Old 09-01-2019, 06:21 PM

I always feel like I'm doing too much on mine. I've really slowed down for a while, but mostly around the same amount as you.
Hifiman is online now   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Not much
Old 09-01-2019, 07:08 PM

I spend very little on my hobbies, as long as I'm not knitting. Yoga is about $10 a week with my membership, once a week. Gym membership is covered by Silver Sneakers. Reading is free from the library. Gardening might be $15-20 a month for,plants or supplies. Now, if my DH was answering, he'd beat your total with greens fees and clubs, and gloves and accessories. Good thing I'm not a golfer. We couldn't afford it.
anabel12 is online now   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 09-01-2019, 07:26 PM

Barely anything, really. My hobbies are reading and cooking, and the occasional crafting. Except for the cost of food (which I count as our grocery budget) I couldn’t even give you a monthly total amount. I would say I spend maybe $50/year on books (mostly Kindle or Goodwill buys) and then mayyyybe another $50/year on craft supplies. I will make wreaths, or household decor type items, but I try to use what I have on hand or can get super cheap.

I do probably splurge on specialty food items for new recipes more than any other type of hobby spending, but I can also “justify” that because I have to follow a strict diet due to health issues, so when I find a new recipe I can actually eat, it’s rare. And I end up needing a specialty item like coconut cream or almond butter which can be costly.
KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I enjoy creating art since I retired
Old 09-01-2019, 07:43 PM

I would say I spend between 100 and 200 dollars a month. That money is sometimes for classes and sometimes for supplies that I use at home. It is my entertainment and I also use many of my fused glass creations and mosaics for birthday and Christmas gifts.

1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Hobby spending
Old 09-01-2019, 08:17 PM

With my newest hobby of collaging tins and boxes, I would say $100 per month.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 09-02-2019, 04:50 AM

I too, love to sew and am recently retired. I spend quite a bit each month. It varies depending on the projects I pursue. I recently spent over $300 for new software for my embroidery machine. It was sooooo worth it though . I would guess that on average I spend between $100-$200 per month. The thing I notice is that when I am engrossed in sewing I am not at the mall shopping, so I guess it works out!
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

LazyLake

Old 09-02-2019, 05:05 AM

It just varies, with how many items I sew in 1 month, I don't sew each and every month, just mostly summer dresses.

I also sew for a hobby, but the cost is getting to where it's more cost effective to purchase the item of clothing, especially considering how fast young children (especially toddlers) can outgrow them. By the time I get the sewing pattern, material, and notions, the cost it so much more than I can get the item at a store!

With that said, I do enjoy making something unique and "with love", so I do still sew some items! It's just relaxing, a fun way to express myself, and the kids love that they have something made with just them in mind!

I also like to embroider, so if I see a project I'd like to do, I purchase the needed items and have them put to the side for when I am ready to start the project. I do about 2-3 a year.
LazyLake is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 09-02-2019, 05:16 AM

Oh, Cat woman and Lazy Lake, I wish we could get together and sew!

chipmunky

I never even estimate
Old 09-02-2019, 05:46 AM

how much I spend on my hobbies.
I am learning to make sea glass window panes which doesn't cost that much to do except for the resin that is needed to keep the sea glass and starfish etc in place. My DS lives on the ocean, so I can find much of the supplies there for free.
I also read, free because of the library.
I garden which consists of a lot of weeding, so the only expense is the cream to cure the poison oak I keep getting.
My expense that I refuse to estimate is baking. I bake for other people's celebrations. I bake every week for the staff at my former school. I do buy flour at Costco which is really a bargain, and the butter is cheaper however, the vanilla I am sure is breaking the budget! It makes them SO HAPPY, it is worth it.

However, it is a whole lot cheaper than my DH's hobbies/activities-skiing, he skis for free during the week because he is over 70, but the ski trips to Switzerland, Canada and Oregon are not cheap! He also does wood work and the lathe he just bought-$$$

chipmunky is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 09-02-2019, 06:06 AM

I have trouble defining a hobby. Is it something you do fo fun? Is it something you do in your free time? Is it different from entertainment? Is it an expense you could live without? Does there have to be a product?

I tried to make a monthly budget when I moved 1.5 years ago. I try to keep it up to date, but the fun stuff is hard to categorize.
*reading—PTers taught me how to use elibraries, but I still spend on Chirp and Amazon occasionally, maybe $30 a month (I used to spend more on Audible).
*exercise—I walk every day for free, but I have a personal trainer who, even though she gives me the “family rate,” is expensive; I don’t know that she qualifies as a hobby because she’s helping me with balance and strength.
*TV—I like TV in my down time. I have cable, Netflix, and PrimeVideo.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Old 09-02-2019, 06:40 AM

My hobby is cross stitch. As I got older my eye sight changed and I stopped. I recently found a pair of glasses on Amazon with lenses that switch out for different magnifications. I am going to be able to cross stitch again. I already have a huge stash of supplies so right now the cost is zero.

My other hobby is reading but I use the library or the gift cards I get from students so it doesn't cost much.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Hobbies
Old 09-02-2019, 06:55 AM

My hobbies are cooking, reading, going to the movies, and exercise classes. Cooking is already factored into my monthly grocery budget. I spend about $20 on overdue charges at the library for my children and me () per year. The amount of money I spend going to the movies fluctuates depending on the number of movies that are out that I actually want to see and have the time to do it. On average, I go about once per month. I buy a soda, no food or snacks. For exercise classes it varies between the occasional cycling class and yoga. They are about $25 per class with a Groupon, and I go about 2-3 times per month.

I don't know if it counts as a hobby, but I collect perfume. I buy one per quarter, and I spend between $40 - 100 for one. As soon as my parent conferences are over at the end of the grading period I really indulge myself.
WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 09-02-2019, 07:04 AM

I am retired.
I also have a need to create.
I now have the time and money to spend on my creative pursuits.
I have always had a lot of hobbies but while I was working and raising a family I didn't have all day to sew or quilt or scrapbook or papercraft or whatever. Nor would I have spent $500 on fabric, batting, backing and long arm services for a quilt.
Times change. I spend a lot of money now.

It wasn't until I retired that I totally realized how much teaching filled my need to create.

Although I use what I have, I also believe in using good tools and materials.
Sometimes I try to set a monthly budget for supplies and sometimes I say "enough is enough, you don't need 1 more thing".
That said I can easily spend an average of $300 - $400 a month.

I don't smoke, drink or do recreational drugs. I don't travel abroad or go to spas.
I wonder if it would be cheaper.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 09-02-2019, 08:12 AM

I don't currently do any craft nor activity that takes money. I'm into makeup, so that costs some because I get good quality brands.

When that adult coloring was the rage, I did buy a few coloring books & the media along with it, but I have yet to color one full page, ha! Guess I don't have the patience for that.

My SO is into art and gets these high-quality paint pens and colored pencils.

Last edited by MAsped; 09-02-2019 at 09:40 AM..
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 09-02-2019, 08:27 AM

Amiga - to me a hobby is something you do in your free time for fun. So it could be creating, collecting, etc. I also love to read, but I get ebooks from the library or use gift cards so I haven't spent money on books for awhile. I think there is crossover between hobbies and entertainment.

Peaches Pears - I also have a strong need to create! I also make jewelry and have a lot of supplies in my stash, so I don't spend on that lately. I probably have enough fabric to last a year or more, but I still end up seeing fabric I can't live without. But as I said I make my own clothes, so I don't spend money on shopping like I used to.

MissTrace

Old 09-02-2019, 09:16 AM

I think this explains why my craft room/office looks like it does! I love to craft, but try to keep to sewing, crocheting, and limited paper crafts. I don't necessarily scrapbook - but I love pretty paper and use my Silhouette (like the Cricut) for work and home projects. I also recently ventured into cutting vinyl.

I have a tendency to splurge once in a while, then go for a long time without buying much. I'd say a typical month I might spend $50 - $100. Last year at the county yarn crawl I spent close to $400 in one weekend.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
MissTrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Hobby vs Entertainment vs Recreation
Old 09-02-2019, 11:16 AM

Amiga -
I think of hobbies as something you DO for fun,
and entertainment is something you CONSUME for fun,
and recreation is something you do or consume for fun OCCASIONALLY.

So hobby requires an element of ongoing-ness in addition to its active fun-ness to make it more than recreation. Dog training and horseback riding are hobbies for me because I do them regularly and with purpose, but ATVing and crafting and gardening and hiking and camping and so many more things are things I do for recreation when I feel like it. Watching movies, going out to eat or to the theater, and reading are entertainment unless I combine them with a regular active element of writing reviews or participating in discussion groups or writing my own scripts/stories; then they become hobbies.

I spend $300/month on my hobby (just riding because my very elderly dog doesn't do classes anymore, and I already have all I need to keep working with her at home), but $50-500 at a time on recreation far less frequently.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Persephone

Hobbies
Old 09-02-2019, 01:21 PM

Sewing is an awesome hobby.
How wonderful that you make clothes.
It's great to have a hobby where you can express yourself artistically and it's a practical, useable item that you've created.

Movies ~ FREE ~ Borrow all movies from the public libraries

Reading ~ FREE or only $12 a year ~ Borrow all books from the public libraries; sometimes buy books for $3 a bag from Library Book Sales

Music ~ FREE ~ Borrow all CDs from the public libraries and go to FREE summer concerts in different towns

Out to Lunch ~ $$$ in the Summer ~ My rationalization: That's all our Autistic teen son wants to do and it makes him happy. ~ Primarily Wendy's $4 meals ~ Balance it out by saving on meals during the week (Eating $1 dinners like perogies/ ravioli/ pbj).

Arts & Crafts ~ $$$ ~ My rationalization: It's our son's hobby, too. Creating artwork keeps him entertained and engaged. Trying to only buy supplies to complete a project and make cards and projects to give as gifts.
DEFINITELY CUTTING BACK THIS YEAR.
Persephone is offline   Reply With Quote

Paddlegurl

Old 09-02-2019, 03:53 PM

I probably spend more than I should, especially since I'm not currently employed. Which is a catch-22 because when I'm not working I have much more time for creating! I have been making a conscious effort only to buy supplies with a project in mind and to come up with ideas to use supplies I have on hand.

I would say I average about $25/month. I sew, cross stitch, scrapbook and make cards, though I tend to rotate which I am more focused on. I did a fair bit of scrapbooking at the beginning of the summer and have been mostly sewing in August.
Paddlegurl is offline   Reply With Quote