Help

The VENT

Chronic absence/tardy

>

MissAgnes

Chronic absence/tardy
Old 09-17-2019, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our district is really cracking down on absences, especially chronic absences, especially in Title I schools. Which means us.
I have a student who is in our school on a zone exemption. He's been here since 1st grade, but moved shortly after. Because of transiency, the district tries to keep kids at the school they are at, so they aren't going to 5 different schools in one year.
He has been chronically absent his whole school career. We tried to deny his zone exemption this year, but the district wouldn't allow it. We've been in school 20 days. He's been absent 7 days. Tardy 8. And by tardy I mean 2+ hours late. So there are only 5 days that he's been here on time the entire school day. He's also a HUGE behavior problem, and his mom is certifiably crazy: drug addict and serious mental health issues.
He lives literally right across the street from his zone school. Our school is a 15-20 minute drive. Ridiculous!

MissAgnes is online now   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

absent
Old 09-17-2019, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
He lives literally right across the street from his zone school. Our school is a 15-20 minute drive.
Why on Earth would the parents want the zone exception in that case?

I can see keeping them in a particular school until the end of the academic year, but he should have changed after.

Quote:
So there are only 5 days that he's been here on time the entire school day. He's also a HUGE behavior problem, and his mom is certifiably crazy: drug addict and serious mental health issues.
Turn it over to truancy, if not CPS!
Lakeside is online now   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

My theory:
Old 09-17-2019, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think the reason the mom wants him here is because we put up with his ####. Our former principal bent over backwards to accomodate students - basically there were no consequences. We got a new P last year, and she's much better. But think mom knows if she puts him in another school they're not going to be as accepting.
Can't turn it over to truancy yet. We have to go through a process. I had another student several years ago that missed 70% of school, and the district wouldn't let us do anything. She was on an exemption, too.
MissAgnes is online now   Reply With Quote