ARCHIVE

teacher's portfolio

>

amyf

amyf

portfolio
Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A portfolio should reflect the best of the 23 years. Think Scrapbooking!! Make it lively. Smiling kids. List your accomplishments. Show ways you have changed the lives of your children and your school. I update mine every two years and I take some things out and put some new things in. It is just a reflection of you. SO make a list of what you think is important and include that. Create sections. Reading, Math, Science, Extra Activities and compile it in such a manner.

mss1

mss1

teacher's portfolio
Old 04-08-2006, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Help -- What all should be included in a portfolio. I have been teaching for 23 years - so how much do I put in it????

Bonnie gr. 2

portfolio
Old 04-09-2006, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My student teacher has to attend a seminar through her college. The person running it is a local superintendent. The college wants a portfolio but he sees them as having a limited value since most superintendents don't really have time to look at them.
Bonnie gr. 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

pkjw

Depends on what you plan to use it for?
Old 04-09-2006, 05:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If your main purpose of the portfolio is to have something for parents and administration to browse in your room, then go the scrapbooking route and have fun with it!

However, if your reason for having a portfolio is to market yourself to schools and districts then you want it well organized, professional and concise. It is a marketing tool. The interviewer should be able to flip through it and gain insight as to who you are as a teacher and what you can do. Mine has sections. Each section has a cover sheet with 1-2 sentences explaining what is in the section. I included
*my resume
*a couple of major projects/lesson plans from each grade taught
*classroom management forms
*grants ~copies of grants I've been awarded
*teamwork~items like portions of a manual I wrote helping fellow teacher learn a new computer program and graphs I created for our schools SACS report
*Technology Portfolio~I also have a disk with several powerpoint presentations I created for use in the classroom and one of my student created presentations. If I were going on an interview I would take a laptop with me to play these.

Even if you are not planning to change schools you should have something like this pulled together because it is easier to update in a pinch than create.
pkjw is offline   Reply With Quote
mss1

mss1

Old 04-09-2006, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you soooo much.........

Mrs. R

Organization is Key
Old 04-14-2006, 11:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Whatever you decide to put in, be sure it's well-organized and that you can find anything in flash. It's helpful to have flags or section dividers. There is nothing worse than having to waste time flipping through your portfolio over and over searcning for one item to show your interviewers. The most effective use of a portfolio during an interview, that I have seen, is to incorporate it into your answers. If they ask about units you've developed, answer the question and flip to the part of your portfolio that outlines the unit and show students engaged in the lessons or samples of student work. If they ask about communication with parents, flip to that section and show a copy of your newsletter or positive notes from parents. Again, this requires some thought before-hand and a very well-organized portfolio.

If you don't use your portfolio during your answers, it may not get looked at. However, if no one asks to see it, you can always offer it as an option at the end of the interview.
Mrs. R is offline   Reply With Quote