Help

ARCHIVE

Vacation in 1st grade

>

Tounces

plans
Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is called an unexcused absence where I have taught. That means she would get 0s for all the missed work. Since it is unexcused it is also against the law. She could possibly have the school send her papers about needing to go to court. With The No Chlild Left Behind schools are cracking down on this sort of behavior. They have attendance goals they need to meet. This is also why more and more schools are considering year round school. Why can't they plan a vacation during the summer break instead. I think this puts in very low priority on school. Even the end is important. Concepts at the end of the book are not any less important than at the beginning. I wouldn't expect a packet either. I would advise your sister to not pull her from school.

Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

STTeach

STTeach

Vacation in 1st grade
Old 04-18-2006, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My family is planning to go on vacation from may 19 thru may 31. My sister who has a 6 year old child in 1st grade is afraid that either the teacher will not let my 6 year old niece leave school for that long of a time or that my niece will miss out and be behind. Her last day of school will be June 13 and I am assuming that she will not be learning anything very challenging when it is so close to the end of the year, Im sure she will be able to catch up. Generaly has learned everything she has been taugh in 1st grade and she is in the advanced reading group. I think that she will be okay as long as the teacher is aware of her absence and can give her a packet with all the work she will be missing. Well my sister is so worried about it that she plans to come back from vacation early so that my niece only misses 4 days of school. Will she really miss that much, or is my sister exaggerating? Have any other kids done that, and is it really a big deal?

tish

Depends
Old 04-18-2006, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My grandaughter just got back from being off for 8 days. They went to Florida. Whike there she got a chance to swim with the dolphins. This was my birthday gift to her. They video taped it plus took a lot of pictures. It was a chance of a life time . She took everything into the classroom and shared it with them. She gave a talk about her experiences with the dolphins. My daughter checked with her teacher before hand and the state testing was completed before she went. The eacher had enough time to give her work to take with her and she did complete it and turned it in today. I would say go for it. I would have her do some type of photo book to share with the class when she returns.
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

RebeccaH

Holidays
Old 04-18-2006, 03:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My husband and I are both teachers. When my two boys were 6 and 8 we pulled them out of school for 10 months and travelled around Australia. When they were 11 and 13 we went Around the World for 11 weeks. Each time they kept up their reading and wrote a diary every day. They studeid where we were going and what we would see. They dealt in many different kinds of money. We also did maths etc in the 10 month holiday but didn't on just the 11 week one. My boys gained so much from all the places/sites we went to. The experiences they had from Indian museums to skiing in Canada, to seeing castles, the Vatican etc. They gained a lot more than they missed. After the Australian trip my oldest was able to talk first hand about the places in Australia they were studying the following year.

In Australia I would have several students on holidays throughout the year. One has just come back from the Commonwealth Games and another is now off up north for 3 weeks. I make them keep a diary and they come back and tell us what they saw etc. If they miss something really vital I will catch them up. I believe the experience is fantastic. Tell your sister to go and talk to the teacher. If she gives lots of notice I can't see the problem.
RebeccaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Anne1st

Anne1st

Vacation
Old 04-18-2006, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have had many children over the years take vacations during the school year. I never have a problem with it. Family time is important. There are experiences she will have during this time that she will not get in school. Tell your sister to take her out and not worry about it.

Have fun!

bertie

bertie

ask
Old 04-19-2006, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Aren't you a teacher? I assume so by your name and that you're on a teachers website. I'm surprised your sister hasn't spoken to her child's teacher yet! She should at least speak to her first, she will likely find the teacher quite supportive and helpful. (Parents don't usually ask "if" they can go, they tell when they're going and "ask" for work to take along). All you really want to do is politely inform the teacher so she is aware that the child will be away. More likely she'll be missing testing, field trips and presentations and picnics than new concepts.

But don't be surprised if your niece's teacher declines the opportunity to send a packet of work along, as that is a lot of extra work for her, (both the prep and the marking afterwards) as I'm sure you know. It is possible your niece will be able to share info about her trip with the class, but don't assume that either. Sometimes its hard to fit another presentation in, at years end. Also some may feel the presentation is more like bragging than info they need to learn. Instead, you might buy a souvineer for each child in her class - something inexpensive, of course, since you have to buy 25 of them, but fun, like a keyring for their backpacks, seashells, beaded bracelets, depending on where you're going. Anyway, this is lots of notice, so encourage your sister to involve her daughters teacher now, not to wait til the 18th, and not to make a final decision till she does.
JenM

JenM

what works for me
Old 04-23-2006, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I create a Vacation Journal for my students who are leaving for a long period of time (more than 4 days). I have them color or paste pictures at the top of the page and write about what they do each day, new experiences, etc. The families have really enjoyed completing this assignment and aren't carrying a lot of books etc. while on vacation. Perhaps you could suggest this to your sister to propose to her daughter's teacher. I just take a piece of construction paper and fold it, add paper inside and staple. The child can create a cover. Hope this helps.