Help

ARCHIVE

just wondering about improved writers

>

MaryMac

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When all kids have finished and edited their writing, I tell them to count the number of periods and capital letters in their writing piece and put those numbers at the top of their page.

MaryMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Brooke

Brooke

Old 04-23-2006, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our spring writing prompt is given this week. I was thinking about my students who consistently hand in work without periods or capitals. How do we get these kids to wake up and make some changes? For many, I could give the same grade on work today that I gave in September when they hadn't heard the reminders 100+ times. Spelling, capitalization, and punctuation matter. My kids all drop a grade if they're not doing this. Many of the kids who didn't attend to those details in September still don't. Can anyone relate?
CLF

CLF

proofreading
Old 04-23-2006, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I can certainly relate. My third graders do the same thing. One activity that seems to get their attention is when I put a piece of student writing up on the overhead. ( I always ask the students first). We start by recognizing several things the student did well.( heading, spacing, etc.) Then we talk about what we could do to make this piece "even better". Then students point out things that are lacking. If you do it often enough MAYBE they will start self-correcting. You can control which errors you want to emphasize by which papers you select. I always try to keep a positive spin on this activity so students do not mind our help.

lis3569

Old 04-24-2006, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I dont do this for all writing assignments, but enough to get the point home. They have to box the capital and cirlce the end mark in every sentence. If they dont have these 2 things for EVERY sentence, they re-do the entire piece of work.
lis3569 is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Gel pens
Old 04-25-2006, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

have really been a motivator for my students. I teach second grade and my students use gel pens to edit only. It seems that they think it's fun to use the pens. We look for lots of corrections as well as "pushing in" better words for good word choice. I make a big deal of using the pens. It doesn't take much to get second graders excited. I only have the students recopy the important papers. I also use the proceedure that CLF suggested.

Renea is offline   Reply With Quote