Help

ARCHIVE

A poll....desks or tables?

>

Mr.L

Tables
Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have tables in Middle School...actually 2 of the four of us do and the other 2 wish they had tables. I have also used tables when I taught 4th and 5th grades. They work wonders...

Mr.L is offline   Reply With Quote

anon101

anon101

Desks

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I personally prefer desks....Kids can keep their belonginings and work in their desks....It's good training in independence, being responsible with your things, etc. I think it is exciting for my second graders as most of them have used tables before---They get a sense of ownership....
My vote is for desks

Ima Teacher

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I prefer desks, BUT I like the kind that can be pushed together to create a relatively flat single surface. That way I can have the kids apart when needed--which is required for some testing (SAT prep) and is necessary to keep some students separated.

Honestly, I sort of wouldn't mind having half and half!
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

NETeacher

A poll....desks or tables?
Old 04-23-2006, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My school will soon be under renovations....we have to move out for approx. a year-that's another story. Anyways, we have had some early discussions about classroom design (I'm on the renovation committee)for my grade level, and my principal has been talking about using tables instead of desks in our new classrooms. I teach second grade. My team and I are not happy about this..we all like desks. I was just curious about the type of furniture you all have in your classrooms and what grade level you teach. Thanks....
NETeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

wilmart77

Tables
Old 04-23-2006, 09:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have taught third grade for the past 13 years and I am much happier with tables. (I used them in 2nd grade as well.) I have stacking shelves at the end of each groups' tables that I purchased at least 14 years ago, so they have more than paid for themselves. The thought of going back to desks would be bothersome for me. It might take some getting used to on your part as far as organization is concerned, but in the long run the students have more work area for group work and the room seems to stay tidier.

Hope this helps.

MH

wilmart77 is offline   Reply With Quote

MC.

Desks!
Old 04-24-2006, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

They can be pushed together for group work, or pulled apart if there is too much talking. I can't tell you how many times I have started the year off with groups, but had to separate a few because of their uncontrollable talking. They can store their own supplies and be responsible for their belongings. Also, when you need to change seats, it can be done easily without ripping off nametags if you have them. I feel desks give you the best of both worlds.
MC. is offline   Reply With Quote

teachfla

Tables!
Old 04-24-2006, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'd be at a loss without my tables. I love that they are easy to keep neat and clean, I love that there is more space, and I love that my kids learn how to work together as a team. But my absolute favorite thing about tables is that no one can play in his/her desk while I am teaching. No one whines about "Sally" having "Amy's" pencil because we all share all the supplies. It has made my life so much easier! I teach 3rd. I do have a desk I took the legs off of and put it into a corner for those kids who needed some "me" time.
teachfla is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

desks!
Old 04-24-2006, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I prefer desks. I visit classrooms where there are tables, and they are often set up so that half of the kids are facing away from me. I guess the solution would be to turn the tables sideways so that everybody faces the teacher at one time. Having kids sit at tables makes them too chatty, in my opinion.

I know one first grade teacher who had tables last year, and she begged to have desks. I think it's better for having kids keep track of their own stuff and developing responsibility for their own things.

I guess it's a good idea to try it out for awhile to see what your preference is.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Jalon

desks
Old 04-24-2006, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I prefer desks. I have mine in groups of 4-6, depending on who is sitting in the desks and where they are located. I like to reconfigure the room sometimes, and be able to move kids to sit in different groupings.

I'm not anti-desk, though, and would love to hear more positives about how you seat the kids, and how you go about moving students to new sitting arrangements with new tablemates!
Jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Jalon

whoops..
Old 04-24-2006, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I meant I'm not "anti-table", not "anti-desk" (previous post)

It's Monday.

:-)

Jalon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

my vote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

is for tables. I have desks for the first time and don't like them at all. I can't stand the messiness. I am not allowed to put then in rows at my current school. So I have to group them in some way anyway. I used tables for 6 years in 2nd, 1 for 4th and 1 year in middle school plus I always used them teaching special ed-all grades. I esp. liked using them in middle school science/math. I didn't have problems with things "disappearing". Now I have to turn their desks baxkwards because they are playing with things inside during class. Tables are definitely better!
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

tables
Old 04-24-2006, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I have tables and love them.
I have big laundry baskets that sit at the end of each table that holds books and notebooks.
The center of the table has a 2 sided tub that holds glue, scissors, crayons. Then a small basket for pens and pencils. Under those baskets is a pocket folder with notebook paper that I will refill when it is empty. I put about 50 sheets at a time in there.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

fun_friend

Old 04-24-2006, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I like desks, but in the middle school the kids don't store personal items in these desks. They have a tray below the seat for temporary storage. The kids keep things in lockers and haul around what they need. I like the way you can rearrange desks. I have mine in rows, but I allow the kids to shove them into various settings as needed. It is great at test time to have lots of lovely desks.
fun_friend is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss C

desks
Old 04-27-2006, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I really, really prefer desks. My old school had desk/chair combos. At this school, the chairs and desks are separate so that when they work together, they can just pull their chair to a partner's desk or sprawl out in the floor or whatever. Works well.
To those with tables: How do you handle testing situations? I'm certain that you handle them well, I'm only curious as to how.
Miss C is offline   Reply With Quote

ECU

desks please!
Old 04-27-2006, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I teach first grade and I have previously used tables and didn't think I could live without them..but, I have grouped desks by 5 or 6 and they have been wonderful! The kids have learned how to keep certain items in their desks and we still use caddies for things like crayons and pencils. We also have visits from the "desk fairy" who checks the contents of their desks. If everything is how it should be, it's a trip to the treasure box! They absolutely love it and really work hard to keep their desks organized! It has worked out great and saved me the hassle of having to store the seemingly never-ending supply of consumables and textbooks!
ECU is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Desks
Old 04-27-2006, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I also prefer desks grouped into clusters. Our grade level has two teachers with tables and four using desks.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ogteacher

A Mix
Old 04-28-2006, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My students have individual study carrels around the perimeter of the room. At the front of the room is a semi circle table and in the middle is a rectangular table (both for group work). There are 4 couches in the room for reading and studying.
ogteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Tables/desks
Old 04-29-2006, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I have second graders. I always kind of liked the idea of having big tables instead of desks. This year however, I was glad for the desks, since my class is such a handful. I had to keep them in rows with no group work allowed since they get out of hand so easily. In the past I have had relatively few problems in allowing students to do group work, but this year I think the group tables would have just added to my discipline problems.

However most of our upper grade teachers use tables, and love them.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

ashleigh_60

desks
Old 07-27-2008, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I like desks, because they can be kept neater. I also like having the option of my students sitting in clusters and various seating arrangements. I don't feel like I have much flexibility with tables.
ashleigh_60 is offline   Reply With Quote

kashmead

Old 07-27-2008, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

We have tables at my school. I like them, but there are some days when I miss having desks and you could quickly pull students away from the group, when needed, or rearrange your desks for testing days.
kashmead is offline   Reply With Quote