Help

Future Teachers

Work experience before teaching and resume help

>

PenguinFlop

Work experience before teaching and resume help
Old 08-15-2016, 10:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently in the process of going back to school to finish my degree in elementary education. I am unemployed as of right now and spend the majority of my time volunteering with animals. I do read at the library to kids but this is a once a month kind of thing.

I worked as a nanny and a daycare worker for 4 years up until last year when my husband and I moved back to his home state for his job.

My concerns lie in whether or not it will be harder for me to get a teaching job once I graduate if I stay unemployed during time student teaching and taking classes. I am very fortunate that I will not need to add the extra burden of work onto myself during my student teaching. However, will it look bad that I wasn't employed during this time? Should I try to get work or volunteer in areas that are relevant to what I want to do? Or will my experience student teaching paired with my past experiences of being a nanny and daycare worker suffice?

PenguinFlop is offline   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 08-16-2016, 03:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am not sure, not being an expert, but wonder if you are allowed to sub or to become a paid tutor at one of the community colleges most places seem to have. All states have different requirements. In my state, you can sub only once or twice a week, so a busy student could do it.

Many students do not work, have part time jobs, or have some patch work job situations. As an undergraduate, I only worked about 4 hours a day. As a graduate student I work about 3 full-time shifts per week as a substitute teacher.
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

brownbear

Old 08-16-2016, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

During my student teaching experience, they encourage you not to work if possible since student teaching is going to be like a full-time job.
brownbear is offline   Reply With Quote

PenguinFlop

Old 08-16-2016, 10:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ah, thanks! I have applied a couple of places since I have to take a few more classes before I start my student teaching as some of my credits did not transfer but I plan on not working during my student teaching. I may volunteer at the library but beyond that I think you are right in that it is like a full time job I want to make sure I'm focusing on that.

Thanks for the replies!
PenguinFlop is offline   Reply With Quote

eatrunteach

what to list on resume
Old 10-05-2016, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I will be listing my student teaching as work on my resume. My program is full time, and I do not have time to work anywhere else but my placement classroom. Prior to student teaching, I have many years of child care and preschool teaching under my belt. I will list it all. Student teaching is HARD work. Working in the world of early childhood is hard word, too. Your experience will count.

eatrunteach is offline   Reply With Quote