Help

The VENT

Cookie Cutters R Us

>

afmom2boys

Cookie Cutters R Us
Old 09-19-2016, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We have to have the same plans, the same open house power point, the same schedules, the same homework, the same read alouds.... blah blah blah. We have to do everything that one person on the team says because she is the bossy one.

And there is nothing I can do about it. The county wants all of us to be the same.

16 years of teaching and I might as well be a robot.

I hate this. I want out. I want to completely change careers.

Why can't I do what is best for my students? Why do I have to teach a lesson that is completely irrelevant?

Ugh

afmom2boys is offline   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

Old 09-19-2016, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yikes! I'm not a fan of sameness.

What are the things that you want to do differently?

What would happen if you kept up appearances of doing it all the same but closed your door and switched up things that you wanted to?
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

afmom2boys

They would open the door LOL
Old 09-19-2016, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Seriously, "they" would find out. I understand sharing and working together to find best practices. But there are no talks, no planning, just here is the plan from last year- follow it.

Small group plans- it is what I am living for. They can't control that. All in the name of differentiation.
afmom2boys is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 09-19-2016, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I will never understand how they can scream "differentiation" and turn around and demand everyone be the same. It makes absolutely no sense!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

maui

Old 09-19-2016, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was just thinking that. Even open house -- which I enjoyed before- meeting the parents, getting to know them is a thing of the past. We are required to give a presentation with the topics our principal has selected - including the times to begin and end the presentation!!That is just sad!!

maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Exit9

Exit9

Yes Sir, or is it Ma'am?
Old 09-19-2016, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

16 years for me too. Sadly teaching is often about following orders. Administrators now see teachers as equivalent to students. I have about four more years of this full time order following business, and then I'll substitute teach for the rest of my teaching career and have a small business on the side. You might want to explore being your own boss too, otherwise you might find yourself in another job where your following orders again. You only live once, and teaching is changing drastically. Unfortunately, teachers aren't treated like professionals in many schools. Teachers have lost autonomy and individuality, and that's what was fun about teaching. FUN is a dirty word in the teaching field now in some places.

pausebutton

Be a rebel...that smiles sweetly
Old 09-20-2016, 01:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think it depends in the school. I switched schools a couple of years ago in the same district. My former school was very cookie cutter and my new school is more about individuality. If a transfer is possible, I would look into it. Although I was dragging my feet before moving, it was the best thing for me. I love to do things in my own unique way.

Even at my old school, I did my own thing even when "they" sometimes found out. I never was in their face about it. I just smiled and nodded and then did what I felt was best. The times when "they" pointed out something, I just smiled and nodded again. The worst that can happen is a shake of the head and a wag of the finger...especially if the changes you are making are gaining positive results.

I say whatever positive change you are itching to do, go for it!

GreyhoundGirl

Old 09-20-2016, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We're heading in that direction with my new P. Not so much in terms of content, but I know next year she's moving us to Conscious Discipline and my Class Dojo (and everything else everyone else uses) will be out the door). I'm polishing my resume. I won't do well in that environment.

I wish the higher ups would allow us to be professionals.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

pausebutton

personality test
Old 09-20-2016, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I took a personality test just for fun and saw this in the description section of the results:

"...the more democratic and personal their manager’s style is, and the more they feel their independence and input are valued, the happier they’ll be"

I guess it all goes back to personality types