Help

Substitute Teachers

Rude Guest Presenter

>

mommysubs

Rude Guest Presenter
Old 12-11-2017, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So today after going through my teacher's plans, I noticed that the third grade class I was subbing for was going to have a guest speaker. I guess she has been coming in once or twice a week for the past 2 months so it is a routine thing where she is supposed to teach the kids about being kind and bully prevention. So when she came in, I politely asked her if she needed anything. She curtly refused, telling me I could sit down that "she had this". Okay. So, I let her take the floor. The kids were totally disengaged and walked all over her. They didn't listen, talked, and didn't follow her directions when she tried leading them through a partner activity. The three times she attempted to correct their behavior (unsuccessfully I might add) she blamed it on the fact that I was there instead of their usual teacher. "You never act this way through my lesson when your regular teacher is here." "I know you have a sub, but that's no reason not to pay attention to me right now." "You would be more respectful if your regular teacher was here." Ok lady, your inability to control the class has nothing to do with my inert presence in the room! I was getting pissed. Finally, as she was trying to wrap up her last attempt at getting them to listen to her through a final activity, I opened my mouth one time and told them to quiet down. Instant quiet. There foolish quasi-educator, gaze upon your own incompetence. Don't stand up there and disrespect ME in front of a group of students who are MY responsibility for the day because YOU are failing miserably!

mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

It's not funny... but it also kinda is!
Old 12-12-2017, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maintaining a sense of humor is important... I'd have been tempted to observe "I guess you have to be a bully to teach kindness and the prevention of bullying." I'd have also been tempted to respond to her "I have this," with a reminder that it is my classroom, even if only for that day.

I wonder who she is related to? My bet is that the kids have been suffering under her "guidance" for the past 2 months... so you have to wonder why it's continuing. I know a lot of teachers dread gues presenters with justification. As a sub, I've suffered through several; it's part of the job. Some are well intended, they simply aren't skilled (or aren't adept at the age/grade level). I once had a guest presenter (who was actually on staff) point out her perception of my weaknesses to my class, pretending to use it as an example of "different people have different skills." I sat quietly through it but did report it to administration, partly because she was staff and partly because we'd had several other conflicts where she attempted to undermine me, often at the kids' expense. I suspect she has some insecurity issues... she was not invited back at the end of the year.

You have a right to be angry. I would only remind you that your anger will pass. This guest speaker's incompetence will likely never go away. (I'm adapting a line from the old joke in which--if I'm remembering it correctly--a woman said to Winston Churchill "You're drunk." He supposedly replied, "And you're ugly. I will be sober in the morning."
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Oh, the irony!
Old 12-12-2017, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's quite amusing that she was there to teach kindness and bully prevention, isn't it? Love that you told (or rather, showed)her how the cow ate the cabbage.

It would seem that you taught the kids the most important lesson that day.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 12-12-2017, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just hate that statement " You don't act like that for your regular teacher "!!!
Not true a really good class will behave for a sub because I've experienced it and I'm the nice sub
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

sophia981

Old 12-19-2017, 11:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh my god...

sophia981 is offline   Reply With Quote