Help

Substitute Teachers

Time to Relax and Regroup

>

KatrynG

Time to Relax and Regroup
Old 12-21-2017, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I love being able to relax and think about how to make my next sub job better. I now have time to read more and look for books to share with each grade level when school resumes.

This week, I shared a story about the First Christmas Tree with my students. The book had a message about taking time to care for and help others.

I'm going to continue to watch a lot of Christmas movies on the Hallmark channel during my break, while I think about procedures and consequences to help students enjoy learning next year.

What positive changes are you considering making in your next classroom?

KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Old 12-22-2017, 02:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What a great message... Personally, I tend to turn to "professional development" books during my "down time." I also try to reflect on my own philosophy of teaching and ask myself whether or not my behavior in the classroom is reflecting my beliefs.

At our Holiday Concert this year, a little kindergartener showed up dressed in a complete Santa Suit! I went over to him, put on my best "surprised" look, and said, "Omigosh! I didn't realize Santa was going to be here!" He put his hands on his tiny padded belly, looked up at me and said in his deepest possible voice, "What do you want for Christmas, Mr. B?" Underneath his too big fake beard, I could see that he really wanted to know.

For various reasons, his question (and the fact he asked it) hit me hard and he got me thinking about how we get out of Christmas (or anything, really) what we put into it. But it sure does help to know what we want--otherwise, how do we know if we're putting in the right things!

Some of the positive changes I'm considering are to be a better listener and to make sure the kids know I'm interested in them as people. I'm certainly not Santa Claus, but I can deliver some things in the classroom... the challenge may be to keep the list at a reasonable length--much like the list for Santa.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote